Sheldon Plener* is a partner in the Business Law Group. He has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, reorganizations, joint ventures and other commercial transactions in Canada and elsewhere. Sheldon has been lead counsel to public and private clients in a broad range of industries including mining, transportation, pharmaceutical, manufacturing, toy and advertising industries and professional sports.
A few of his notable projects include:
· Acquisition of Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Co. Limited
· Sale of Polo Ralph Lauren brands in Canada
· Bids for casinos in Ontario, including representing Trump Corporation and Sheraton Hotels
· Acquisition of the Ottawa Senators Hockey Club and Scotiabank Place
· Assisting private equity in various strategic transactions.
· Purchase of Fusion Brands, a major cosmetics company
· Acquisition and subsequent sale of Astro Yogurt brands in Canada
· Purchase of Planter's Nut and Life Savers' brand in Canada
· Acting as counsel to the Canadian Toy Industry, the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation and Ronald McDonald House (Toronto)
Sheldon was also the primary lawyer involved in negotiating the terms of the Toronto Raptors' Basketball Team expansion agreement with the NBA and was the Founding Secretary of the Raptors. Sheldon is a Director and Secretary of the Ottawa Senators Hockey Club and Scotiabank Place, and is an Alternate NHL Governor; further, he is the Governor of the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). He was also the Secretary and lead outside counsel for Toronto's bid for the 2015 Pan American Games and is a member of the Steering Committee for the 2011 Mastercard Memorial Cup. Sheldon is ranked as a leading sports law practitioner by the Best Lawyers in Canada.
Sheldon has experience as a director of major public companies. He was a director of Biovail Corporation (now Valeant Pharmaceuticals), the largest publicly traded pharmaceutical company in Canada, and was also Chair of its Risk and Compliance Committee. Biovail is listed on both the New York and Toronto Stock Exchanges.
Prior to its privatization, Sheldon was a director of Novelis Inc., which was also listed on the New York and Toronto Stock Exchanges and he was a member of its Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee. Novelis is one of the world's largest manufacturers of rolled aluminium products.
Since joining the firm in 1978, Sheldon has served in various capacities including Deputy Managing Partner. He is currently the Chairman of the firm's Executive Committee and Chair of its Audit Committee. Sheldon has brought to bear his M&A experience on the firm's growth. He's been with the firm since it numbered only 20 lawyers, and has been instrumental in its expansion. "This is a great place to work - an old firm with a solid base on which to build. It has broadened to a full-service firm with special expertise in business law and corporate securities." He prides himself on helping to create a user-friendly environment: "We have a camaraderie here that's hard to match."
* denotes Professional Corporation
· The Best Lawyers in Canada 2013 (Sports Law)
· The Best Lawyers in Canada 2012 (Sports Law)
· The Best Lawyers in Canada 2011 (Sports Law)
· The Best Lawyers in Canada 2010 (Sports Law)
· The Best Lawyers in Canada 2009 (Sports Law)
· Martindale-Hubbell, BV Distinguished™ rating
· Canadian Bar Association
· Institute of Corporate Directors
· Ontario Bar Association
· Sports Lawyers Association