About this office:
Singhania & Partners is a full service national law firm, with a successful international corporate & commercial, litigation, arbitration and intellectual property law practice. The firm has its own offices at New Delhi, Noida, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Mumbai, and has alliances with local counsels at 65 additional locations across India in 20 States. The firm comprises of a team of over 70 in-house professionals including Advocate on Record for Supreme Court, Chartered Accountants and Company Secretaries with dual qualification.
The firm's principal office is located in Noida, part of the New Delhi National Capital Region (an area comprising of Delhi, New Delhi, Noida and Gurgaon).
The Firm is empanelled with the Ministry of Finance, Department of Economic Affairs for providing legal services in support of public private partnerships transactions for both central and state agencies.
The Firm offers a wide range of legal services in the areas of corporate and commercial laws and specializes in representing major foreign and domestic corporations in connection with their business interests in India and Public Sector Undertakings, Central Government & State Government Ministries. The Firm acts as Indian counsel for some of the largest multinational corporations from North America, Europe, Australia and South-East Asia (including several Fortune 1000 companies).
The firm has considerable experience in areas such as Automotive sector, Aviation, Highways, Railways, Power, Telecom, Public Private Partnership initiatives, Manufacturing, Publishing, Project Finance, Insurance, Defence Contracts, Food & Drugs, Information Technology and Business Processing Services.
Ravi Singhania, Managing Partner of the Firm was felicitated with the "National Law Day Award" for Corporate Laws in 2006 by Prime Minister Dr. Man Mohan Singh. Mr. Singhania along with other partners of the firm Dipak Rao, Sunil Kumar, Shilpa Shah, Tarun Dua have been nominated as the leaders in the field of Corporate Commercial, Project Finance, Tax, Dispute Resolution by Asia Law Leading Lawyers, and Chambers & Partners.
Some excerpts (clients' comments to The Asia Pacific Legal 500) published in the different issues of The Asia Pacific Legal 500:
(1) 2007-2008 "We are highly satisfied with the knowledge base and the skillsets possessed by the firm. It is the easy accessibility of the partners and senior lawyers' as well as the comfort which one draws while interacting with them that sets the firm clearly apart from the others." (2) 2006-2007 "Singhania & Partners is said to 'do an incredible job of navigating through the often very complicated rules in India'. (3) 2006-2007 "The three-partner dispute resolution team, which is praised for its 'very practical recommendations in complex legal situations" - relating to arbitrations/High Court & Supreme Court matters. (4) 2004-2005 "The Firm manages our projects very well and is always accommodating when we have specific deadlines to meet'. (5) 2004-2005 "Both, Ravi Singhania and Dipak Rao receive praise for being 'extremely responsive' and providing 'practical and effective solutions to complex matters'.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
The Firm has assisted clients in green field airport projects, power projects, rail infrastructure, highway projects as well as port related projects. The firm has acted for the developers, lenders, as well as EPC contractors for various projects. The Infrastructure group works in close coordination with the corporate and commercial group to ensure that the contracts and documents drawn up reflect our clients' interest at all times and provides services in drafting/negotiating various legal documents and advisory services such as:
• Bid Process Management
• Engineering, Procurement and Construction Contracts
• Operation and Maintenance Agreements
• Securitization of Assets
• Concession Agreement
• Power Purchase Agreement
Corporate & Commercial
The firm's Corporate and Commercial group has vast experience in handling commercial transactions including:
• Acquisitions and Mergers
• Agency and Distribution
• Banking & Finance
• Foreign Collaborations
• Company Law Securities
• Trade Law
• Transfer of Technology
The firm assists clients in developing strategy with advice based not only on the legal aspects of doing business but also on practical experience of commercial transactions.
Foreign Direct Investment & Regulatory Practice
The Firm regularly advises foreign investors with respect to Foreign Direct Investment in India. It advises on issues such as:
• Entry Strategy
• Currency Control Regulations
• Establishing Wholly Owned Subsidiaries
• Establishment of Representative/Project Offices/Branches in India
• Joint Ventures, Foreign Collaborations, Technology Licensing
• Assistance in obtaining regulatory approvals from Reserve Bank of India, and Foreign
Investment Promotion Board.
The Firm provides its services in the following areas:
• Drafting of financing documents such as Loan Agreement, Security Agreement, Escrow
• Drafting of Consortium specific agreements such as Lenders' Agent, Security Trustee, and
• Due diligence of the borrower
• Title search of the immovable properties offered as security.
• Creation and filing of charges with the Registrar of Companies.
Tax ¿ Direct & Indirect
The firm provides advisory services in both direct & indirect taxes. It's experience in tax matters extends to advice on double taxation avoidance agreements, transfer pricing, customs, excise, income tax, works contract tax, value added tax and service tax.
The firm has also been involved in tax related litigation for its clients at the First Appellate Level, Tribunal, High Court as well as at Supreme Court of India.
The increased work force in the service sector has made industrial labour laws applicable to other sectors as well. The firm provides comprehensive legal services encompassing all aspects of employment in India.
The firm has assisted clients in issues relating to quick ramp up as well as in downsizing of businesses.
The Real Estate Group assists the Corporate & Commercial Group in client's legal requirements for office space, manufacturing facilities as well as housing requirements for it's senior management across various cities in India.
It has carved a niche for itself for swiftly closing real estate transactions involving redevelopment of large land parcels.
The Firm's Intellectual Property practice includes patent, trade mark, copyright, design and geographical indication registration, and prosecution (opposition & infringement) for enforcement of IP rights, advise on IP protection strategies as a step to protect market share and continued growth prospects.
The IP Practice group assists clients looking at potential acquisitions in due diligence and audits of Intellectual Properties owned/licensed by target companies. In addition, the group also advises on IP issues related to portals, advertising, e-commerce, and internet transactions.
• Supreme Court of India
• State High Courts & District Courts
• Consumer Forums
• Administrative & Taxation Tribunals
• Admiralty Jurisdiction matters
• Domestic & International Commercial Arbitration
• Monopolistic & Restrictive Trade Practices Commission
• Debt Recovery Tribunals
As a multi-office corporate law firm, we are in a position to attend to clients' needs in matters having inter State issues. In such cases services are comprehensively rendered by the core team of our experts as per the requirements of the client.
The Arbitration Group has experience in resolving domestic as well as international commercial disputes via the mechanism of alternate dispute resolution. The said group has also handled matters relating to specialized areas such as construction, engineering, defence contracts, Government contracts and international trade.
The firm advises domestic and foreign corporations with legal and regulatory issues in the Information Technology sector. It's clients in this sector include software as well as hardware vendors, equipment manufacturers, service providers etc. The transactions include licensing, software development, joint ventures, strategic alliance, and acquisitions.