Stephanie primarily works with health care clients seeking to comply with state and federal laws and regulations in their daily business dealings. She provides regulatory advice to clients on issues such as HIPAA Privacy Rule compliance, telemedicine requirements, and health care fraud and abuse compliance.
In her practice, Stephanie has assisted hospitals, laboratories, and academic institutions in drafting compliance plans, structuring joint ventures, and investigating security breaches. She also drafts and updates business associate and subcontractor agreements to meet HIPAA Omnibus Rule and state privacy law compliance standards. Her other services to clients include:
Drafting compliance programs to ensure health care providers and institutions educate employees and contractors about the fraud, waste, and abuse laws and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act;
• Responding to government subpoenas regarding conduct implicating the anti-kickback statute, the Stark law, and the civil False Claims Act;
• Analyzing interactions between health information privacy and practice of medicine laws for a new telemedicine initiative; and
• Drafting hospital and physician participation agreements for new clinically integrated networks and Medicare Shared Savings Program accountable care organizations.
Stephanie's work incorporates her past experiences an Associate Counsel in the Office of the Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Services and as an intern at the Massachusetts Division of Insurance, the Health Care Division of the Attorney General's Office, and the Health Care Connector.
She frequently writes about health care fraud and health information privacy enforcement matters and has co-authored articles forLaw360and Westlaw publications. She is also a contributor to the Health Law Section's Health Law and Policy Matters blog.
Immediately after law school, Stephanie clerked for Justice Frederick L. Brown at the Massachusetts Appeals Court. She received various awards, including first place in the Northeast regional competition and second place in the national competition of the National Black Law Students Association's Frederick Douglass Moot Court Competition.
• Eleven Mintz Levin Attorneys Named Washington, DC Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (04.25.2014)
• Quoted inAre You Ready to Go ACO?,ACO News (04.14.2014)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Stephanie D. Willis to Co-Chair 2013 Minority C-Suite Executive Roundtable, (03.21.2013)
Recognitions & Awards
• Washington DC Super Lawyers:Rising Star - Health Care (2014)
• City Year: Washington, DC - Idealist of the Year (2013)
Co-author,Mintz Levin Health Care Qui Tam Update,Recent Developments & Unsealed False Claims Act (FCA) Cases (02.2014)
• Co-author,Mintz Levin Health Care Qui Tam Update,Recent Developments & Unsealed Cases (12.2013)
• Co-author,Mintz Levin Health Care Qui Tam Update,Recent Developments and Unsealed Cases (08.2013)
• Co-author,Updated Self-Disclosure Protocol Clarifies Disclosure Process and Obligations,Health Law Advisory (04.22.2013)
• Co-author,Health Care Enforcement in 2012: A Year in Review,Westlaw Journal Health Care Fraud (04.2013)
• Co-author,Health Care Enforcement in 2012: A Year in Review,Health Care Enforcement Defense Advisory (02.25.2013)
• Co-author,Finally! HHS Office for Civil Rights Releases HIPAA Omnibus Rule with Sweeping Changes to Compliance Requirements and Enforcement,Health Lawyers Weekly (02.01.2013)
• HIPAA Omnibus Rule Reference Chart,Health Law Alert (01.22.2013)
• Co-author,Finally! HHS Office of Civil Rights Releases HIPAA Omnibus Rule With Sweeping Changes to Compliance Requirements and Enforcement,Privacy & Security HIPAA Compliance Alert (01.18.2013)
• Co-author,Private Payor Participation in Accountable Care Organizations: Limitations, Risks and Opportunities,ABA Healthcare eSource (09.2012)
• Co-author,Health Care Enforcement: 2012 Trends - Part IV,Health Care Enforcement Defense Advisory (05.08.2012)
• Co-author,Health Care Enforcement: 2012 Trends - Part III,Health Care Enforcement Defense Advisory (04.13.2012)
• Co-author,Ratting out the Competition: New DOJ Strategies,Law360 (03.28.2012)
• Co-author,Florida v. HHS Raises Key Constitutional Issues Related to Health Care Reform,Health Law Advisory (03.23.2012)
• Co-author,How CMS Plans to Recoup Medicare, Medicaid Overpayments,Law 360 (03.02.2012)
• Co-author,CMS Publishes Proposed Rule on Return of Medicare and Medicaid Overpayments,Health Law Advisory (02.16.2012)
• Co-author,Health Care Enforcement: 2012 Trends - Part I,Health Care Enforcement Defense Advisory (01.31.2012)
• Co-author,Sanctions Imposed on Qui Tam Counsel for Failing to Meet Ethical Standards Relating to the Use of Privileged Documents,Health Care Enforcement Defense Advisory (01.23.2012)
• Co-author,The Bundled Payments Initiative - A Non-ACO Approach to Promoting Coordinated Care,Health Law Advisory (09.16.2011)
• Co-author,The Government Announces Predictive Modeling Technology for Medicare To Go Live on July 1, 2011,Health Care Enforcement Defense Alert (06.21.2011)
• Co-author,Understanding the Implications of Proposed Legal Structure Requirements of Accountable Care Organizations,Health Care Reform Advisory (04.15.2011)
• Co-author,HHS Boosts State Health Care Enforcement Authorities,Health Care Enforcement Defense Advisory (03.23.2011)
Co-chair,2013 Minority C-Suite Executive Roundtable, The National Association of Health Service Executives Washington Metropolitan Area Chapter (03.21.2013)
• Panelist,Fraud and Compliance Issues for ACOs and Integrated Health Systems,14th Annual Conference on Emerging Issues in Healthcare Law, American Bar Association, Miami, FL (02.22.2013)