Stephen A. Landsman engages in a general corporate, business counseling and tax practice, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions. Steve has in-depth experience in numerous industries as lead counsel representing both purchasers and sellers in a wide variety of transactions - among them, public to public, private to public, private to private, leveraged recapitalization, divisional or asset sales and joint venture/strategic alliance transactions. His clientele consists of LBO and private equity groups, public companies, strategic corporate or institutional entities, investment subsidiaries of public companies and private investors/owners. In addition, Steve has extensive experience representing management in acquisitions and divestiture transactions.
Steve has been a speaker on various corporate law and arbitration matters at seminars and meetings conducted by The American Bar Association, Mergers & Acquisitions magazine, M&A Source, The National Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and the American Arbitration Association. In addition, he has also been the author of several published articles in his field.
Chambers & Partners described Steve in its Chambers USA guide as "a solid choice," an "excellent negotiator with long experience in M&A" and as having "a high-quality general corporate and tax practice."
Steve has received significant recognitions for his pro bono service. The Juvenile Protective Association has honored him with the Jane Addams Medal of Honor, and the Anti-Defamation League has recognized him with the Judge Abraham Lincoln Marovitz Civil Rights Award.
Areas of Concentration
· Corporate and securities
· Mergers and acquisitions
· Health care
· Private equity
· Capital markets
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, Board of Directors, Anti-Defamation League
· Member, Chicago Bar Association
· Member, Illinois State Bar Association
· Chairman, Do The Write Thing, 1997-2007
Awards & Recognition
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Listed, Leading Lawyers Network, 2012-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Illinois Super Lawyers, 2005-2006, 2008-2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2012-2013
· Listed, Marquis Who's Who in America
· Listed, Marquis Who's Who in American Law
· Recipient, "The Juvenile Protective Association's Jane Addams Medal of Honor"
· Recipient, "Anti-Defamation League's Judge Abraham Lincoln Marovitz Civil Rights Award"
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented Marshall Steel Associates LLC in its sale to Stryker Corporation.
· Represented Blount International, Inc. (NYSE:BLT) in various acquisition and disposition transactions.
· Represented Cosmo Films, Ltd., an Indian public company, in its acquisition of the commercial film division of Acco Brands, Inc., a U.S. public company.
· Represented Access Value Investors, a private equity group, in its acquisition of the assets of Collins Brothers, Inc.
· Represented Austin Engineering, Ltd., an Australian public company, in its acquisition of Western Technology Services, Inc.
· Represented the shareholders of Brad Foote Gear Works, Inc. in a sale to Tower Tech Holdings, Inc. (OTC:BB TWRT).
· Represented Tower Tech Holdings, Inc. (OTC:BB TWRT) in its acquisition of Energy Maintenance System, LLC.
· Represented private equity group in its acquisition of a temporary staffing company.
· Represented Kuhlman Corporation (NYSE) in its merger with Borg Warner Automotive Corporation (NYSE).
· Represented AJG Financial Services, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. (NYSE), in a continuing series of investment and acquisition transactions.
· Represented Arcelor Steel in its disposition of certain non-core US-based operations to Ryerson Tull, Inc. (NYSE)
· Represented two private equity groups in their joint acquisition of a commercial printing company.
· Represented Zale Homes, a privately owned regional home builder, in its sale to KB Home. (NYSE)
· Represented the management of Meyers Bakeries in connection with the purchase of the company by Ripplewood Holdings.
· Represented the management of Kronos Foods in connection with the purchase of the company by Prospect Partners.
°Some of the above representations were handled by Mr. Landsman prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Co-Editor, The Mergers & Acquisitions Handbook - First Edition, Bowne & Co., Inc., 2007
· Co-Presenter, "The Legal View on M&A Preparedness," Proformative Seminar - M&A for CFO's: What You Don't Know Might Kill (Your Deal), New York and Chicago, November 30, 2010 and December 1, 2010
· Panelist and Featured Speaker, "Shanghai Capital Markets Forum 2007," Shanghai, China, April 2007
· Panelist and Featured Speaker, "Acquisitions as an Option for Corporate Growth," M&A Source, May 2, 2005
· Panelist, "Financing in Today's Market, Accessing Capital, Expanding Market Share and Building the Value of Your Business," National Manufacturer's Association Show, February 24, 2004