Stephen Mendelsohn concentrates his practice on all aspects of commercial litigation through trial and appeals with an emphasis on financial institutions, securities and real estate. He counsels employers on all facets of employment law, and practices all aspects of education law for private and public universities and schools, including Title IX, collective bargaining and labor law, state and federal regulation, student rights and affiliation agreements. Stephen represents a number of private equity funds in their securities litigation matters. Previously, Stephen served as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of New York.
Areas of Concentration
· Commercial litigation
· Securities litigation
· Employment and Education law
· Construction law
Professional & Community Involvement
· Vice Chair, Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County, Florida
· Member, Advisory Committee, School of Social Work, Florida Atlantic University
· Vice President, B'nai Torah Congregation
· Member, The Florida Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Banking & Finance, 2013-2014
· James and Marjorie Baer Outstanding Leadership Award, Jewish Federation, South Palm Beach County, 2002
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented banks and officers in FDIC, merger and acquisition litigation.
· Defended public and private employers in numerous Title VII, ADA, Title IX Rehabilitation Act and other employment cases.
· Advised school districts, colleges and universities in connection with collective bargaining, tenure, leaves of absence, termination, student aid, student discipline, and state and federal regulatory compliance.
· Defended private equity funds and managers in multi-million dollar securities litigations alleging state, federal and common law violations.
· Defended numerous securities broker-dealers and registered representatives before SEC and FINRA.
· Defended State of New York in landmark class action case concerning the care of the mentally retarded.
· Represented Yonkers, N.Y. Teachers Union in class action school desegregation case.
· Defended State of New York in class action cases concerning state-wide prison conditions.
· Wegweiser v. Wegweiser, 205 AD.2d 616, 614 N.Y.S.2d 287 (2d Dept. 1994)
· First Transcapital Corp. v. King Umberto Inc., 214 AD. 2d 699, 625 N.Y.S.2d 294 (2d Dept. 1995)
· Continental National Bank of Miami v. Sanchez, 170 F.3d 1340 (11th Cir. 1999)
· Binner v. Morris, 741 So.2d 590 (Fla. 3d DCA 1999)
· Keller v. Newman Sons Inc., 756 So.2d 120 (Fla. 3d DCA 2000)
· Powersports, Inc. v. Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance, CO., 307 F. Supp. 2d 1355 (SD Fl. 2004)
· Marquez v. Pan American Bank, 943 So.2d 284 (Fla. 3d DCA 2006)
· Sierra Equity Group, Inc. v. White Oak Equity Partners, 2009 US Dist. Lexis 26553 (SD Fl. 2009)
Estate and Trust Litigation
· Brown v. Miller, 2 So.3d 321 (Fla. 5th DCA 2009)
Employment, Education and Labor Law
· Monroe-Woodbury CSD v. Monroe-Woodbury TA, 105 AD. 2d 786, 481 N.Y.S. 2d 731 (2d Dept. 1984)
· Rippe v. Board of Education, 64 N.Y.2d 281, 486 NYS2d 713 (1985)
· Winston v. City of New York, 759 F2.d 242 (2d Cir. 1985)
· Moore v. Board of Education, 116 AD. 2d 273, 500 N.Y.S.2d 710 (2d Dept. 1986)
· Faculty Association v. PERB, 125 AD. 2d 307, 508 N.Y.S.2d 591 (2d Dept.1987)
· Board of Education v. Yonkers Fed. of Teachers, 133 AD.2d 402, 519 N.Y.S.2d 395 (2d Dept. 1987)
· Margolin v. Newman, 130 AD.2d 312, 520 N.Y.S.2d 226 (2d Dept. 1987)
· Zeumer v. Fire Burglary Instruments, Inc., 210 AD. 2d 318, 619 N.Y.S.2d 782 (2d Dept. 1994)
Civil Rights and Defamation
· Langley v. Coughlin, 888 F.2d 252 (2d Cir. 1989)
· Society for Good Will to Retarded Children v. Cuomo, 902 F.2d 1085 (2d Cir. 1990)
· Day v. Morgenthau, 909 F.2d 75 (2d Cir. 1990)
· Samuels v. Berger, 191 AD. 2d 627, 595 N.Y.S.2d 231 (2d Dept. 1993).
°The above matters dated before 2003 were handled by Stephen prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig.
· Assistant Attorney General, State of New York
· Former Special Assistant Attorney General, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
· Former Special Assistant Attorney General, State of Connecticut
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, "Excessive Use of Force: Seeking Redress For Constitutional Violations," The Florida Bar Journal, Vol. LXVI, No. 1, The Florida Bar, January 1992
(Also at West Palm Beach Office)