Stephen Antle is a dispute strategist. He is a senior partner in Borden Ladner Gervais LLP and a Chartered Arbitrator. Stephen is an expert in preventing and managing all kinds of commercial disputes and, if necessary, resolving them through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, administrative proceedings or litigation. He has a broad range of experience, emphasizing strategic corporate governance advice (including shareholder disputes), domestic and international commercial arbitration, contract trouble shooting and international dispute resolution issues. Stephen advises and represents corporations and individuals involved in a wide variety of businesses. He has appeared as counsel before mediators, domestic and international arbitration tribunals, administrative tribunals, all levels of court in British Columbia and the Supreme Court of Canada. Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ 4.5 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.
Strategic Corporate Governance Advice
· Represented majority shareholder of closely held Vietnam resort developer responding to shareholder oppression claim by minority shareholders (http://canlii.ca/t/fpljc and http://canlii.ca/t/fw14f).
· Represented minority shareholders of publicly traded tungsten-mining company in shareholder oppression claim against majority shareholder (http://canlii.ca/t/1vrc6).
· Represented minority shareholder of closely held African resources developer in shareholder oppression claim against majority shareholders (http://canlii.ca/t/flcwg).
· Represented family hotel company in shareholder oppression claims among shareholders.
· Represented placer gold-mining joint venturer in breach of contract claims among joint venturers.
· Represented IT hosting provider rectifying stock option plan to save optionees $5 million in income tax.
· Represented many companies in obtaining court approval of various corporate transactions by plans of arrangement (e.g., http://canlii.ca/t/flz26).
· Represented mining company in determination by independent expert of entitlement to break fee under arrangement agreement.
· Advised independent committee of board of directors of public mining company investigating allegations of director wrongdoing.
Domestic and International Commercial Arbitration
· Represented majority shareholders of family dollar store business in BCICAC domestic commercial arbitration of oppression and other claims among shareholders.
· Represented film investor in IFTA international commercial arbitration of disputes with other investors about distribution of film proceeds.
· Represented purchaser/publisher of "Chinese Yellow Pages" business in BCICAC domestic commercial arbitration of disputes with vendor/sales representative.
· Represented limited partner in ad hoc "baseball" domestic commercial arbitration of disputes over mining limited partnership's budgeted cash calls.
· Arbitrated several commercial disputes, as sole arbitrator and member of an arbitral tribunal, including over a mining property option agreement, a share put agreement, commercial leases and the termination of an employment agreement, administered by the BCICAC and Better Business Bureau of Mainland BC, and ad hoc.
Contract Trouble Shooting
· Reviewed international management consulting company's standard form consulting contracts, eliminating inconsistent arbitration and litigation provisions, and ensuring tiered dispute resolution process workable and consistent in all jurisdictions.
· Advised international analytical laboratory company on the indemnification provisions of an agreement for the sale of its shares, to ensure they were clear and workable.
International Dispute Resolution Issues
· Represented BC judgment creditor successfully opposing enforcement of English judgment in BC
· Represented US horticulture company enforcing Oregon letter of request to obtain evidence from BC witness for use in negligence lawsuit.
· Represented US satellite manufacturer enforcing California letter of request to obtain evidence from BC witness for use in patent infringement lawsuit.
Publications & Presentations
· Author, "Commercial Arbitration Basics: Realizing the Potential Benefits," The Canadian Arbitration and Mediation Journal, July 2013 (with Michelle Maniago).
· Author, "Risks of Social Media Background Checks" People Talk, April 2013 (with Charmane Sing, Brandon Hillis and Michael Damiani).
· Author, "Shareholders' Remedies Under British Columbia Corporate and Securities Legislation" chapter, Business Disputes Practice Manual, The Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia (CLE BC), 2011-13 (with Stephen Warnett and Michelle Maniago). This publication won the 2011 Continuing Legal Education Award (CLEA) for outstanding achievement.
· Author, "Choosing a Dispute Resolution Mechanism," Dispute Resolution, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, Summer 2012.
· Author, "Resolving Disputes" chapter, Advising BC Business, CLE BC, 2006-12. This publication won the 2007 Continuing Legal Education Award (CLEA) for professional excellence.
· Author, "What In-House Counsel Need to Know About Shareholder Dissent Rights," Canadian Lawyer inHouse Digital Edition, March 2012.
· Author, "Manage Stakeholder Expectations to Prevent Oppression Claims," Canadian Corporate Counsel Association magazine, Spring 2012.
· Author, "Shareholder Rights, Remedies and Proceedings" chapter in BC Company Law Practice Manual, CLE BC, 2008-11 (with Graeme Martindale and Stephen Robertson).
· Author, "Foreign Injunctions Now Enforceable in Canada," Dispute Resolution, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, Summer 2010.
· Author, "Creditors Have a Powerful Tool to Recover the Amounts They're Owed," Business in Vancouver, March 2010.
Rankings & Recognitions
· Recognized in the 2013 and previous editions of Benchmark Canada as a "local litigation star" and "one of the best for cross-border matters."
· Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ 4.5 out of 5 Peer Review Rated
· Member, Law Society of British Columbia
· Director, Alternative Dispute Resolution Institute of Canada
· Member, BC International Commercial Arbitration Centre panels of experts
· Member, BC Arbitration and Mediation Institute
· Member, Canadian Bar Association
· Chair, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP Vancouver Pro Bono Committee
· Member, Camosun Crazy Boggers, a volunteer group working to restore Camosun Bog in Vancouver's Pacific Spirit Park
· Member, BC Insight Meditation Society
· Involved in fundraising and book donations for Miss Bertie's Community Library, Hopkins Village, Belize