For more than 30 years, Steve has advised US and foreign companies on transactional matters, including corporate mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financings, infrastructure projects, and related tax issues. A significant part of his practice has involved advising clients on matters related to international investment and transactional matters. This includes extensive experience working with Chinese clients and advising international clients regarding their investments and operations in China.
Steve has broad and varied corporate, tax, and health care experience. His private equity practice includes representation of sponsors in fund formation and the funds themselves in their investment activities. He has acted as principal tax counsel for many domestic and foreign investors in connection with their corporate direct investment and mergers and acquisitions activities in the US and their investments in US real estate. He has also represented both companies and individuals involved in tax controversies and disputes with the IRS.
Steve serves as Co-chair of the firm's Healthcare Deal Lawyers working group. For many years, he has advised clients in many segments of the health care industry in connection with transactional matters. Internationally, he has been involved with numerous joint ventures, acquisitions, and financings in many industries including energy, retail distribution, media, real estate, health care, shipping, finance, and apparel.
Steve was a presiding partner at another international law firm, and before that, was a managing partner of a prominent international boutique law firm, which he co-founded. He is active in many professional organizations, and has served on the boards of numerous charitable and civic groups. While in law school, Steve served as Articles Editor for The University of Chicago Law Review.
• Twenty-Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars , ( 09.20.2012 )
• Twenty Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2011 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars , ( 09.23.2011 )
• Mintz Levin, King &Wood PRC and AMM Consulting Host Webinar on Establishing or Expanding Retail Operations in China , ( 09.09.2011 )
• Eighteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2010 New York Super Lawyers , ( 09.29.2010 )
• Thirteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named New York Super Lawyers , ( 10.05.2009 )
• Ten Mintz Levin Attorneys Named New York Metro Super Lawyers , ( 09.24.2007 )
Awards & Recognitions
•New York Super Lawyers: Tax (2007, 2009 - 2012)
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
• Co-author, Taxmageddon - 1/1/2013: Pending Increases in Income Tax Rates , Tax Alert ( 07.26.2012 )
• Moderator, Retail Operations in China: Capturing the Opportunity and Managing the Risk , Mintz Levin, Webinar (09.19.2011)