Stephen J. Greenberg practices in the areas of insurance and corporate law.
Mr. Greenberg has over 35 years' experience in representing insurers in all types of transactions and in all aspects of their businesses. Prior to joining Duane Morris in 2000, Mr. Greenberg was executive vice president and general counsel of the Highlands Insurance Group and its predecessor company for eight years, and was a partner in another Philadelphia law firm for 20 years before that, specializing in mergers and acquisitions and financings in the insurance industry. While at that firm, he served on loan as acting assistant general counsel of a major Philadelphia insurance company.
Mr. Greenberg has handled a wide range of mergers, acquisitions and financing transactions in the insurance industry. As general counsel of Highlands Insurance Group, Inc. and its predecessor company, he was responsible for an acquisition program that built an insurance company from zero to over $500 million in annual premium. Before joining Highlands, he represented numerous insurance groups in public offerings and other forms of financings and in the acquisition and disposition of insurance company subsidiaries. In his inside counsel positions, Mr. Greenberg handled or supervised a wide variety of matters, including reinsurance, regulatory issues, product design and development, actuarial analysis, human resource issues and claims. He was a member of the Senior Management Committee of Highlands and, as such, participated in many of the business aspects of the company.
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New York, Mr. Greenberg is a member of the American Bar Association and the American Law Institute. Mr. Greenberg is a 1966 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Law School and a graduate of Rutgers College.
· Counsel to an insurance company in a tender offer for an insurance holding company group.
· Counsel to an insurance company in litigation regarding insurance coverage for asbestos claims. Secured a complete victory for the client. The total amount at stake was $50 to $100 million in insurance coverage.
· Counsel to a leading provider of insurance and reinsurance products in structuring a series of complex "financial" insurance transactions in excess of $100 million each. Rendered key legal opinions in two transactions that closed in 2002. Other transactions are ongoing.
· Counsel to a company operating a hotel/casino in Mississippi in resolving a $200 million Hurricane Katrina insurance claim involving over ten different insurers.
· Counsel to an insurance holding company in a chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding.
· Member of a team of lawyers representing an insurer in the sale of its Medicare HMO business.
· Counsel to a major insurer in resolving a $100 million dollar surety claim, including resolving disputes with the co-surety.
· Counsel to an English insurance company objecting to a proposed plan of rehabilitation of a US insurer which resulted in the special master recommending against approval of the rehabilitation plan, and negotiating the settlement of the disputed plan with the receiver of the insurer.
· Counsel to a large insurer in resolving a numerous claims under two environmental insurance policies.
· Adviser to an owner of property with pollution issues as to his rights under a pollution remediation policy.
· Adviser to the purchaser of a university science and laboratory building regarding complex insurance requirements.
· Counsel to an insurance company in resolving various regulatory issues arising from a triennial insurance department examination.
· Counsel to several insurers in reinsurance arbitrations.
· Duane Morris LLP
- Of Counsel, 2007-present
- Partner, 2000-2006
· Highlands Insurance Group, Inc., Lawrenceville, New Jersey
- Executive Vice President and General Counsel, 1997-2000
· Vik Brothers Insurance, Inc., Lawrenceville, New Jersey
- Executive Vice President and General Counsel, 1993-1997
· Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis LLP, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Partner, 1974-1992
- Associate, 1971-1973
· United States Army, 1966-1970
- Captain, JAGC, 1967-1970
· Fried, Frank, Schriver & Jacobson, New York, New York
- Associate, 1966
· American Bar Association
· American Law Institute
Honors and Awards
· AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Civic and Charitable Activities
· Merion Civic Association
· Philadelphia Reads
· Author of article on securities law in Duke Law Journal and published numerous articles in the American Bar Association, the American Law Institute, and the Pennsylvania Bar Institute publications on corporate and securities law.
Selected Speaking Engagements
· Serve as lecturer on corporate and securities law matters for the American Bar Association, the American Law Institute, the Pennsylvania Bar Institute and the Philadelphia Bar Association.