Stephen is Managing Member of the New York office, and heads the Corporate & Securities Practice in New York. He also serves on the firm's Policy Committee and Lateral Hiring Committee.
Stephen represents both public and private companies in a broad range of domestic and international transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, public and private offerings of securities, venture capital and private equity investments, leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, restructurings, joint ventures, and strategic alliances. He has counseled clients in diverse industries, including financial services, health care, telecommunications, consumer products, electronics, hospitality, and sports and entertainment.
Stephen has worked extensively with acquirers, targets, special committees, stakeholders, and advisors in a variety of domestic and cross-border M&A transactions.
Stephen also has extensive experience in corporation and partnership finance, having represented underwriters, issuers, and investors in transactions involving diverse financial products. In light of his past experience in investment banking, Stephen brings specialized knowledge to the representation of investment banking firms in their representation of clients in M&A transactions, including in connection with the conduct of auction processes and the rendering of fairness opinions.
Before joining the firm, Stephen was a partner in the corporate and securities practice of a New York law firm. Earlier, he was involved in investment banking, serving first as general counsel and as a member of the Corporate Finance Department and Management Committee of Commonwealth Associates, and later as a co-founder and president of Barington Capital Group, LP, two concerns providing services to small and mid-sized capitalization companies. Previously, he had been a partner in another large New York law firm.
While in law school, Stephen was a member and an associate editor of the Fordham Law Review.
Recognitions & Awards
•New York Super Lawyers: Mergers & Acquisitions (2011 - 2014)
•2012 BTI Client Service All-Star
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
• Twenty-Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2014 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.03.2014)
• Mintz Levin Enhances Debt Financing Capabilities in New York with Addition of Joseph W. Price, (06.23.2014)
• Eighteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.16.2013)
• Twenty-Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.20.2012)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Stephen J. Gulotta, Jr. Named Client Service All-Star by BTI Consulting, (01.31.2012)
• Mintz Levin Adds to Intellectual Property Litigation Capabilities in New York Office, (11.01.2011)
• Twenty Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2011 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.23.2011)
• Mintz Levin's New York Office Celebrates Ten Year Anniversary, (09.29.2010)
• Mintz Levin Reaffirms Commitment to New York Presence, (10.26.2009)
• Stephen Gulotta Named Managing Member of Mintz Levin's New York Office, (06.30.2009)
•Featured in Inside The Deal: Mintz Levin's Gulotta on Takeover Bid Preparation, The Deal (02.19.2009)
•Co-author, Stretching Singles Into Doubles: Alternative PE Exits, Law360 (10.30.2014)
•New York Highlights, (11.21.2013)
•Author, Thinking Ahead: Preparing to Sell the Privately Held Business, Corporate & Securities Advisory (12.07.2011)
•Mintz Levin on Smart Targets, The Deal (01.21.2009)
Stephen Gulotta discusses the key elements in a purchase agreement.
• Speaker, Mergers & Acquisitions: Command and Control of Your M&A Process, Privately-Held Company Conference, Stifel, New York, NY (06.17.2015)