- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate & Securities
- Venture Capital & Emerging Companies
- Private Equity
- Corporate Governance
- Securities & Capital Markets
- Financial Services
- Communications & Media
- Health Care
- Retail & Consumer Products
- Arts & Entertainment
- Staffing & Outsourcing
|Contact Info||Telephone: 212.692.6769|
Internet: Each Attorney's Internet Address takes the following form: first initial, last name @mintz.com (e.g., email@example.com)
|University ||University of Colorado, B.A., Mathematics, 1978|
|Law School||Fordham University, J.D., with honors, 1981|
|Admitted||1982, New York|
Professional & Community Involvement
•Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
•Secretary, Committee on Corporation Law, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (1987 - 1990)
•Member, American Bar Association
•Member, ABA Corporation, Banking and Business Law Section
Stephen is Managing Member of the New York office, and heads the Corporate & Securities Practice in New York. He also serves on the firm's Policy Committee and Lateral Hiring Committee.
Stephen represents both public and private companies in a broad range of domestic and international transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, public and private offerings of securities, venture capital and private equity investments, leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, restructurings, joint ventures, and strategic alliances. He has counseled clients in diverse industries, including financial services, health care, telecommunications, consumer products, electronics, hospitality, and sports and entertainment.
Stephen has worked extensively with acquirers, targets, special committees, stakeholders, and advisors in a variety of domestic and cross-border M&A transactions.
Stephen also has extensive experience in corporation and partnership finance, having represented underwriters, issuers, and investors in transactions involving diverse financial products. In light of his past experience in investment banking, Stephen brings specialized knowledge to the representation of investment banking firms in their representation of clients in M&A transactions, including in connection with the conduct of auction processes and the rendering of fairness opinions.
Before joining the firm, Stephen was a partner in the corporate and securities practice of a New York law firm. Earlier, he was involved in investment banking, serving first as general counsel and as a member of the Corporate Finance Department and Management Committee of Commonwealth Associates, and later as a co-founder and president of Barington Capital Group, LP, two concerns providing services to small and mid-sized capitalization companies. Previously, he had been a partner in another large New York law firm.
While in law school, Stephen was a member and an associate editor of the Fordham Law Review.
Recognitions & Awards
•New York Super Lawyers: Mergers & Acquisitions (2011 - 2014)
•2012 BTI Client Service All-Star
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
•Co-author, Stretching Singles Into Doubles: Alternative PE Exits, Law360 (10.30.2014)
• New York Highlights, (11.21.2013)
• Author, Thinking Ahead: Preparing to Sell the Privately Held Business, Corporate & Securities Advisory (12.07.2011)
• Mintz Levin on Smart Targets, The Deal (01.21.2009)
•Twenty-Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2014 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.03.2014)
• Mintz Levin Enhances Debt Financing Capabilities in New York with Addition of Joseph W. Price, (06.23.2014)
• Eighteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.16.2013)
• Twenty-Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.20.2012)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Stephen J. Gulotta, Jr. Named Client Service All-Star by BTI Consulting, (01.31.2012)
• Mintz Levin Adds to Intellectual Property Litigation Capabilities in New York Office, (11.01.2011)
• Twenty Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2011 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.23.2011)
• Mintz Levin's New York Office Celebrates Ten Year Anniversary, (09.29.2010)
• Mintz Levin Reaffirms Commitment to New York Presence, (10.26.2009)
• Stephen Gulotta Named Managing Member of Mintz Levin's New York Office, (06.30.2009)
• Featured in Inside The Deal: Mintz Levin's Gulotta on Takeover Bid Preparation, The Deal (02.19.2009)
Stephen Gulotta discusses the key elements in a purchase agreement.
|Reported Cases||Representative Matters: Acquisition of Consolidated Coal Company, a subsidiary of CONSOL Energy, by Murray Energy Corporation; The sale of MacDermid Incorporated to Platform Acquisition Holdings Ltd. (counsel to MacDermid Incorporated management team); The acquisition of Aciex Therapeutics, Inc. by Nicox S.A. The acquisition of Friedrich Air Conditioning Co., Ltd. by Corinthian Capital Group, LLC; The sale of Adolor Corporation, a publicly traded developer of prescription pain and pain management products, to Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (represented financial advisor to target); The sale of Omega Engineering, Inc., a leading manufacturer and marketer of products and customized solutions in the process measurement and control industry, to Spectris plc; The sale of American Technical Ceramics Corp., a publicly traded manufacturer of electronic components, to AVX Corporation; The sale of the Telx Group, Inc., a premier operator of telecommunications facilities, to GI Partners; The acquisition of the US securities brokerage business of Investec Ernst & Company by Maxim Group LLC; The sale of Teleponce Cable TV, the owner and operator of cable television systems in Puerto Rico, to Centennial Communications Corp.|
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#8,263 in weekly profile views out of 99,932 lawyers in New York, New York|
|#107,676 in weekly profile views out of 1,684,342 total lawyers Overall|