Steve's practice is focused on insolvency and restructuring matters. He has extensive experience representing companies, receivers, monitors, purchasers, creditors and financial institutions in managing corporate reorganization and the realization of assets. In recent years Steve has acted in many of the more significant restructurings in Alberta, and has developed expertise in litigation concerning construction industry agreements, lending arrangements, security enforcement and licensing matters.
In addition, Steve has significant experience in commercial litigation, particularly major construction litigation, foreclosures, shareholder disputes, oppression actions, derivative actions and energy industry litigation. Steve's broad civil litigation practice includes prosecuting and defending claims involving commercial contracts, securities, fiduciary duties and trade mark and copyright disputes. He appears before all levels of court in Alberta and the Federal Court (Trial and Appeal Divisions).
Awards and Recognition
· BV Distinguished peer review rating, Martindale-Hubbell
· Acted for a Florida power company with regard to collection of $450 million from various parties in Alberta.
· Has acted in receiverships involving assets located worldwide.
· Involved in numerous agricultural/agri-business collections and receiverships involving matters covering all aspects of farming operations.
· Acts for insurers and construction companies primarily involved in major construction litigation.
· Has acted on a number of fire loss actions and has successfully defended claims by proving arson.
· Has appeared on a wide variety of matters before all levels of the province's courts.
Steve is a frequent speaker on matters concerning insolvency and commercial litigation to his peers, clients and industry associations.
Steve has written articles for numerous publications including CA Magazine, The National Insolvency Review and the Lawyers' Weekly.