Steve is a partner in the Firm's Business Law Department and is a member of the Firm's Private Equity & Venture Capital group and the Firm's Technology, Media & Telecommunications ("TMT") group. Steve also serves on the Firm's Executive Board and chairs the Firm's Partnership Committee. Steve has been with the Firm his entire legal career and was one of the two co-founders of the Boston office of predecessor firm Edwards & Angell.
Steve has led teams of lawyers in virtually every kind of corporate transaction, both within the U.S. and internationally. His experience spans several industries and includes private equity, venture capital, M&A, start-ups, joint ventures, fund formation, buyouts, securities offerings, debt facilities, restructurings, bankruptcy planning and litigation strategy.
Steve's clients include several recognized private equity and venture capital funds and portfolio companies, as well as other public and private companies and management teams.
For the past several years, Steve has been ranked by Chambers USA for his work in private equity. According to Chambers USA's 2012 edition:
"Stephen Meredith is 'extremely knowledgeable on both the legal side and the market side.' Sources praise him for the high quality of his negotiation skills and his engaging manner."
Steve has also been listed repeatedly in The Best Lawyers in America and in Thomson Reuters' "Super Lawyers" category.Steve's peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell is "AV Preeminent" with a score of 5.0 out of 5.0.
· Structured and negotiated the sale of The W.E. Bassett Company, the nation's largest distributor of personal grooming devices, to Pacific World Corporation.
· Represented ABRY Partners in its $1.2 billion acquisition of RCN Corporation (NASDAQ: RCNI)
· Acted for Cavalier Telephone Corporation and its stockholders in its $460 million merger with Paetec Holding Corp. (NASDAQ GS: PAET)
· Negotiated $124.5 million sale of Canadian data center operator Fusepoint, Inc. to Savvis, Inc. (NASDAQ: SVVS)
· Acted for Global Tower Partners and its equity sponsor in its formation, funding, acquisitions and sale to The Blackstone Group.
· Represented M/C Partners and Columbia Capital in their joint venture with Warner Bros. Studios to form film production company Legendary Pictures.
· Acted for Battery Ventures, Bain Capital Ventures, Columbia Capital and J.P. Morgan Partners in their investment in The Tennis Channel.
· Represented two private equity funds in connection with the formation of, and $160 million investment in, a U.S.-Canadian communications satellite joint venture with three strategic partners and the contribution of satellite licenses held by them, followed by the subsequent sale of the joint venture's assets to two public companies.
· Negotiated a strategic partnering arrangement and equity investment with an online ticket distribution company on behalf of a consortium of 40 ticket brokers.
· Represented Great Hill Partners in the acquisition of international money transfer company Vigo and its subsequent sale to First Data Corp.
· Acted for the private equity investor group in the $250 million first round financing of XM Satellite Radio.
· Acted for Great Hill Partners and its portfolio company, Latisys, in the acquisition, financing and development of data centers in the U.S.
· Represented the holder of broadband spectrum in its sale to Harbinger Capital Partners.
Europe, Asia & Latin America
· Advised a consortium of private equity investors in connection with their investment in the buyout of GTS Telecom, a Central European telecommunications company.
· Represented a U.S. private equity fund in making a controlling investment in a Brazilian fiber and data center company.
· Acted for Columbia Capital in connection with its investment in euNetworks Group Limited (SGX: H23.SI), a publicly held Singapore company engaged in the ownership and operation of fiber optic networks throughout Europe.
· Represented Spectrum Equity Investors in the acquisition of Choice Cable, a Puerto Rican cable television company.
· Advised M/C Partners in structuring the merger of its wireless license company in Malta with Melita Cable, a Maltese cable provider.
· Represented Columbia Capital in its investment in an Indian broadband satellite company.
· Acted for two private equity funds in the acquisition of a Puerto Rican wireless company in a Section 363 bankruptcy sale.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Steve is the founder and owner of Radio Stations KSOM-FM and KSWI-FM. The two stations are located in his hometown in Iowa, where Steve also pursues an interest in farming.
Steve is a Trustee of the Bradley Hospital Foundation. Bradley Hospital is the first hospital, education and research center in the world devoted exclusively to child and adolescent mental health. Steve is also a member of the Children's Health Committee of the Lifespan healthcare system.
Steve is married to a reformed lawyer-turned-teacher. They have three excellent children and an accomplished bird dog who sleeps on the furniture. Steve is also something of a fly fishing fanatic.
Wireless & Satellite
Cloud Computing & Managed IT Services
Massachusetts Bar Association
Rhode Island Bar Association
American Bar Association
European Venture Capital Association