- Insolvency & Commercial Bankruptcy
|Contact Info||Telephone: 512.479.1148|
|University ||University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 1980 Phi Beta Kappa|
|Law School||University of Texas at Austin School of Law, J.D., 1984|
|Admitted||1984, Texas; 1984, Supreme Court of Texas; 1989, U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas; 2002, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas; 2008, New York; 2008, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas|
Stephen serves clients in bankruptcy litigation, commercial litigation and white collar criminal defense. As a member of the Financial Services industry team, he protects the rights of creditors in bankruptcy and reorganization plans in order to achieve favorable results. His vast legal experience has helped banks, manufacturers, retail stores, technology companies and others in meeting their business goals.
Before joining Husch Blackwell, he was a partner at Brown McCarroll.
Professional Associations and Memberships
American Bar Association
• Austin Bar Association
• Legal Advisory Council, Banker's Association for Finance and Trade
• National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
• Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
• Travis County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
• University of Texas, State Bar Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition, team coach
Awards and Recognitions
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
• Texas Super Lawyers, Business Litigation Law, 2004-2007, 2010, 2013-2014
• Defended bank in claims involving the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) and counterclaims arising out of loan to an owner and operator of oil leases.
• Represented lender in arbitration of claims for international trade credit insurance.
• Represented seller of international trade credit in defense of financial warranty claims.
• Represented investment banking/venture capital defendants in fraudulent transfer action resulting from leveraged buyout of major trucking line.
• Advised plaintiff in lawsuit seeking rescission and fraud damages related to purchase of a chemical distribution business.
• Represented bank in defense of claims of law firm in connection with forged check scheme by office manager.
• Counseled lender in prosecution of claims arising from check-kiting scheme.
• Represented bank in connection with fraud and defalcations by owners of largest manufacturing facility in McAllen, Texas.
• Counseled estate executor in jury trial of claims brought by ex-wife of decedent related to alleged fraud in connection with establishment and maintenance of off-shore trusts.
• Represented apartment-management company in trial of claims of accounting fraud and kickbacks brought by owner of complex.
• Defended board of directors of publicly traded company in insider trading and breach of fiduciary duty claims brought by shareholder.
• Represented chemical distributor in class action brought by Desert Storm veterans alleging exposure to toxins on battlefield.
• Represented nationwide title company in connection with claims brought by consumers.
• Advised consumer in prosecution of fraud claims against mortgage broker and mortgage company related to failure to honor commitment agreement.
• Represented subsidiaries of major savings and loan in connection with bankruptcies.
• Represented banks in connection with federal Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act claims brought in bankruptcy court.
• Assisted acquirer in plan litigation trial in bankruptcy of largest power plant in Louisiana.
• Represented pipeline acquirer in bankruptcy and related litigation arising from right of way and construction disputes.
• Represented holder of senior secured notes in major real estate subdivision bankruptcy.
• Represented lender in interrelated bankruptcies of cancer infusion treatment centers, emergency rooms and medical office buildings.
• Represented bank group in connection with preference claims.
• Counseled debtor in national retail bankruptcy in connection with litigation of contested plan of reorganization.
• Represented lender in connection with golf course borrower insolvencies.
• Represented various executives in connection with stock options, severance packages and related issues in terminations from technology companies.
• Represented various individuals in connection with dissolution of business entities.
• Advised chemical distributor in investigation and negotiations with federal prosecutors and Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) agents in connection with allegations of alcohol smuggling to Russia.
• Represented defendant/owner of amusement park in federal arson prosecution.
• Represented witness in connection with civil and criminal securities fraud litigation.
• Advised former bank director in federal criminal jury trial.
• Represented major manufacturer in state environmental criminal prosecution.
• Represented major manufacturer in connection with criminal campaign contributions investigation.
In The News
9.09.13, In Nebraska and Texas, 13 Husch Blackwell Attorneys Named 2013 Super Lawyers/Rising Stars
(Also at Houston Office)
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#475 in weekly profile views out of 10,363 lawyers in Austin, Texas|
|#118,117 in weekly profile views out of 1,538,052 total lawyers Overall|