Steven A. Landy has practiced at Greenberg Traurig for over 27 years. Steven represents both developers and institutional investors in all areas of a sophisticated and diversified real property based practice, including development, acquisition, disposition, planning and financing of real property. He has significant experience in long term large-scale developments, construction and permanent financing (both recourse and non-recourse), joint ventures, and real estate related dispute resolution.
Areas of Concentration
· Real estate, including large-scale mixed-use developments and financing
· Real estate and partnership dispute resolution, including workouts and foreclosures
· Real property related partnerships, including public-private ventures
· Real property title law, title insurance, and survey issues
· Air rights and separation of real property ownership components
· Representative Long-Term Large-Scale Development Representation:
- From 1982 to the present, general representation of The Graham Companies, the developers of the Town of Miami Lakes, the first true comprehensively planned development in Florida located on six square miles of property, and including residential communities, office and industrial parks, multifamily projects, retail projects, hotels, ground leases, entertainment facilities and golf courses. Most of the improvements developed over the last 40 years in Miami Lakes, with the exception of single-family residential, continue to be owned by The Graham Companies. 2009 transactions include the refinancing of two golf courses and two hotels, development of several new office and industrial buildings.
- Lead counsel for Midtown Equities in the development of "Midtown Miami," a city within a city, and the largest mixed-use project in the City of Miami history. Midtown Miami is an urban infill project consisting of over 1,000,000 square feet of retail, together with over 3500 residential units, entertainment facilities, office and other related mixed-use facilities located on a former rail yard containing 46 acres just north of downtown Miami. Midtown Miami is located within the Midtown Miami Community Development District, formed for the purpose of providing infrastructure development within the project. To date, three residential towers and over 600,000 square-foot of retail facilities have been developed within Midtown Miami, together with other mixed-use components. Representation commenced in 2004 with the vision of the client and the acquisition of the property from Florida East Coast Railway. 2009 representations have included continued development, together with refinancing substantial components of the project for success on a going forward basis.
- Counsel for the developer of the new City of Destiny in connection with title, survey and related real property acquisition and development matters. Destiny, the largest new development in the State, will be located on 64 square miles in Central Florida and will be the first environmentally planned community in the State.
- Council for Bridgeport Landing in connection with the negotiation and finalization of a development and acquisition agreement with the City of Bridgeport, Connecticut for the development of a large-scale mixed-use waterfront project in Bridgeport.
· Other Representative Representations:
- Representation of life insurance companies in 100+ mortgage loans for office, retail (including regional malls and mixed use and public/private projects), merchandise marts, hotels (including major waterfront resort hotels) and multi-family in Florida and in the Southeastern United States.
- Representation of life insurance companies and other institutional parties, developers and joint ventures in connection with joint venture formation, acquisitions, sales, development and dispute resolution.
- Representation of institutional lenders in connection with loan foreclosures, workouts and other dispute resolution.
- Representation of institutions and developers in connection with the development, sale and acquisition of hotels, office buildings, warehouses, shopping centers, regional malls, security detention facilities, raw land and waterfront properties, design centers and merchandise and trade marts.
Professional & Community Involvement
· Agent for Chicago Title Insurance Company, Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company, Ticor Title Insurance Company, First American Title Insurance Company, Lawyers Title Insurance Corporation, and Stewart Title Insurance Company
· Associate Member, American Land Title Association
· Member, American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Team Member, Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011
· Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2007
· Rated, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5
Articles, Publications, & Lectures
· Appeared on and represented the development community's perspective on NBC's Nightline in connection with condominium development and disputes during the current recession.