Steve is a member of the Financial Services industry team, where he counsels and advises clients on all aspects of tax credit transactions. He specifically concentrates his practice on projects involving state and federal New Markets Tax Credits (NMTC), rehabilitation tax credits and renewable energy tax credits, and he handles everything from initial structuring concerns to the negotiation of business and legal issues throughout the transaction, as well as assisting clients' post-closing issues and ongoing tax credit compliance requirements.
Steve has worked on projects and has represented developers, lenders and municipal entities across the country, including:
· The acquisition refinancing and rehabilitation for one of the largest nongovernmental human-service providers in Los Angeles.
· Extensive involvement in the Washington Avenue loft district redevelopment in St. Louis, Mo.
· A new facility for Camillus House, one of the oldest and largest continuously operated charities in southern Florida.
Additionally, Steve's lending experience comprises real estate, construction, cash flow and asset-based loan transactions. He represents lenders and borrowers nationally in traditional and syndicated matters.
In conjunction with his work throughout each of the aforementioned areas, Steve also has significant experience in real estate law. This encompasses all aspects of development and redevelopment, particularly with historic structures and governmental incentives.
Steve regularly speaks at NMTC conferences around the country and was an adjunct professor at Washington University School of Law.
Awards & Recognitions
· Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Banking, Rising Star, 2008
· Missouri Lawyers Weekly, Up and Coming Lawyer, 2008
Professional Associations & Memberships
· American Bar Association
· The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
· The Missouri Bar
· Clayton Chamber of Commerce
· Association for Corporate Growth
· Leadership St. Louis, Class of 2013-2014
· Represented Opportunity Fund in connection with providing NMTC financing to the Dream Center - a 400,000-square-foot facility that helps the underserved population in Los Angeles.
· Counseled Florida Community Loan Fund in connection with providing NMTC financing to Camillus House. Camillus House provides humanitarian services to poor and homeless men, women and children in Miami-Dade County and is one of the oldest and largest continuously operated charities in southern Florida.
· Represented an NMTC investor and the real estate lender in connection with the rehabilitation of an historic building on Washington Avenue in St. Louis, Mo., into commercial and residential space, with more than $40 million dollars in project costs.
· Advised a Community Development Entity (CDE) in connection with the construction and development of a Boys and Girls Club facility in San Francisco, Calif.