Steven Fleissig is a real estate shareholder in Greenberg Traurig's New Jersey office. Steven focuses his practice on a variety of real estate and finance related issues. He advises real estate owners on purchase, sale, leasing and financing matters. Steven is also experienced in representing lending institutions in real estate and asset-based financing transactions, restructurings and workouts.
Steven has lectured on multiple borrower lending transactions, mortgage foreclosure strategies, UCC issues, and retail and office leasing strategies. He also has written on UCC legislative developments; Section 1031 tax deferred exchanges and New Jersey lending laws.
Areas of Concentration
· Sales and purchases
· Asset-based financing
· Mortgage foreclosure
· UCC issues
· Section 1031 tax deferred exchanges
Professional & Community Involvement
· Past President and Board Member, Association of Commercial Finance Attorneys
· American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers (Fellow)
· American College of Mortgage Attorneys (Fellow)
· American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers liaison to "Project Synergy," a joint venture of the College, the American Bar Association, the American College of Mortgage Attorneys and the American College of Real Estate Lawyers
· Member, Executive Committee, Northern New Jersey Chapter, Urban Land Institute
· Member, National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, New Jersey Chapter
· Member, Commercial Finance Committee, American Bar Association Business Law Section
· Former Chair, Real Estate Lending Subcommittee of the American Bar Association Commercial Finance Committee
· Board of Directors, Essex County Legal Aid Association
· Board of Directors, Union Chapel Community Development Corporation
· Counsel (Pro Bono), North Brunswick Humane Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Banking and Finance Law, 2007-2014
· Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2013
· Team Member, Lexology's Client Choice Award USA & Canada, United States: New Jersey, 2013
· Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2011-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2006-2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011 and 2012
· Profiled, "Multi-Pointed Stars," New Jersey & Company, November/December 2010
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented the purchaser of a $45 million mortgage note and ultimate foreclosure, settlement and deed-in-lieu transaction (and other enforcement actions) against Carteret Investors, LLC and several guarantors. The mortgage was originally granted in connection with the construction of a planned 288-unit luxury condominium development in Carteret, NJ.
· Represented Boiling Springs Savings Bank on several related modifications and re-documenting of loans that the bank had previously made to various Mulvihill family entities with an aggregate outstanding principal balance of more than $23 million, which were secured by properties located throughout Sussex County, NJ.
· Represented M&T Bank in a $11.3 million mortgage loan to an affiliate of Hampshire Real Estate Companies. The mortgages cover four separate parcels (three flex buildings and one parcel of vacant land) in the Hackettstown Commerce Park in Hackettstown, NJ.
· Represented the owner of a 300-unit garden apartment complex in Middletown, PA, in the refinancing of a $44 million mortgage with Beech Street Capital and Freddie Mac.
· Represented M & T Bank in a $17 million construction and term loan to an affiliate of Hampshire Real Estate Companies for the expansion of a retail shopping center in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
· Representation of a major U.S. bank in its retail branch leases throughout New York and New Jersey.
· Representation of Curtiss-Wright Corporation in lease negotiations with an affiliate of Lincoln Properties for Curtiss Wright's new corporate headquarters in Parsippany, NJ.
· Representation of Treetop Development in the purchase and financing of an eight-building, 244-unit apartment complex in Newark, New Jersey.
· Representation of an active adult community developer as borrower on a $58 million term and construction loan facility in connection with the development of an assisted living facility in Reading, PA.
· Representation of Edison Investments LLC, in its acquisition of a 200,000 square foot industrial facility in Parsippany, NJ.
· Representation of Bergman Realty in the $25 million acquisition of a lender's 80% interest in an office building complex totaling 167,000 square feet in Whippany, NJ.
· Representation of a group of investors in their acquisition of a 129,000 square foot office/flex building in Columbus, OH.
· Representation of M&T Bank in a multi-million dollar acquisition loan for the purchase of an industrial facility in Norristown, PA.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Featured, "Multi-Pointed Stars," New Jersey & Company, November/December 2010
· Mentioned, "Member Spotlight," Newark Regional Business Partnership's website, June 1, 2009
· Mentioned, "TALF's Expansion Fueling CMBS Restart?" GlobeSt.com, March 27, 2009
· Mentioned, "In limbo: Rising foreclosures leave tenants up in the air, as many face terminated leases, disruption to business operations," NJBiz Magazine, February 23, 2009
· Mentioned, "How I Create Opportunities," The Star-Ledger, December 7, 2008
· Mentioned, "Gebroe-Hammer Orchestrates $14 Million Multi-Family Portfolio Sale," Mid-Atlantic Real Estate Journal, August 8-21, 2008
· Quoted, "They're Not Giving at the Office," The Record of Hackensack, April 12, 2008
· Profiled, "Meet the Real Estate Lawyers," Real Estate New Jersey, April 3, 2008
· Mentioned, "HK Realty Sells Same Property Twice in One Day," New Jersey & Company, October 31, 2007
· Mentioned, "Gebroe-Hammer Associates Has Brokered the $6.2 Million Sale of Main Street Village," Real Estate Weekly, Matawan, N.J., September 12, 2007
· Featured, "Meet The Real Estate Lawyers," Real Estate New Jersey, April 2007
· Featured, "Depth, Sophistication, Connections," The Mann Report, March 2006
· Author, Bar Association newsletter, UCC legislative developments
· Author, "The New Jersey Lawyer as," Bar Association newsletter, UCC legislative developments
· Author, "Multiple Owner Properties Offer Alternatives in §1031 Tax Deferred Exchanges," New Jersey Law Journal, June 2003
· Author-New Jersey section, Commercial Lending Law, A State-by-State Guide, American Bar Association
· Author-New Jersey chapter, The Law of Guaranties: A Jurisdiction-by-Jurisdiction Guide to U.S. and Canadian Law, February 2013
· Lecturer, multiple borrower lending transactions, American Bar Association
· Lecturer, mortgage foreclosure strategies, New Jersey State Bar Association
· Lecturer, UCC issues, the Institute of Continuing Legal Education
· Lecturer, retail leasing strategies, Lorman Enterprises
· Moderator, Office Leasing Outlook, Real Share/New Jersey