STEVEN M. WILLIAMS is Managing Partner in the Firm's Harrisburg office, Chair of the Firm's Commercial Litigation Group and a member of the Labor and Employment Group. He concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial and civil litigation, real estate, landlord and tenant law, condominium and homeowner law, employment law, business and corporate law, construction law, and election law. Steve practices regularly in the Pennsylvania and Federal Courts, and has represented clients in mediation and arbitration proceedings before and in proceedings before various administrative boards.
Prior to joining Cohen Seglias, Steve was a shareholder in another Harrisburg firm. In addition, he has served as a court-appointed arbitrator for the Dauphin County Court of Common Pleas, and serves as an arbitrator at the request of parties in private disputes.
Steve lectures regularly, and is a frequent writer, on such topics as landlord and tenant law, fair housing, debt collection, employment law, the impacts of social media on individuals and businesses, and miscellaneous business issues and has taught a course on Legal Aspects and Responsibilities as part of the National Apartment Association's Certified Apartment Manager designation.
• Steve was successful in having a contractor's complaint, in which it sought fees for work it performed on an owner's property, dismissed based on a provision in the owner's property insurance policy that required that all disputes over the amount of a loss be submitted to an appraisal, as opposed to being litigated in court. The Court held that even though the contractor was not a party to the insurance policy and that appraisal provisions are usually reserved for disputes between an insured and an insurer, the contractor was nevertheless bound to submit its claim to an appraisal, due to a provision in the contractor's contract that its fees for the work were subject to the owner's insurance policy which sets the scope and price of the work based on industry standards.
• In a case of first impression, he was successful in obtaining a decision from the Pennsylvania Superior Court awarding interest, penalties and attorney's fees pursuant to the Contractor and Subcontractor Payment Act during the post-trial/execution proceedings in the case.
• Successfully mediated a substantial construction dispute involving the collapse of part of a building's HVAC system, defending the case on behalf of the HVAC contractor.
• Successfully tried to verdict, on behalf of a restoration contractor, a breach of contract case in the Cumberland County Court of Common Pleas in which the jury completely rejected the defendants' claims of defective and unfinished work on the project.
• Was successful in a Superior Court appeal involving a dispute between a client and its supplier over amounts claimed to be owed to the supplier on a supply contract.
• Served as local counsel in a successful anti-trust case involving price discrimination against a national food manufacturer and a national food distributor.
• Successfully defended against a lis pendens filed against an industrial property by a buyer who had an expired agreement of sale for the property.
• Successfully settled a real estate purchase dispute involving three parties that had been in litigation for over ten years.
• Successfully represented the seller of a restaurant in a dispute that initially caused the buyer to seek to terminate the sale, but who ultimately agreed to purchase on substantially the original terms.
• Obtained the dismissal of three counts of a federal fair housing case in a case of first impression in the Middle District of Pennsylvania.
• Successfully represented a mechanical contractor in an age discrimination case before the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission.
• Obtained summary judgment in favor of a small business client who was being sued by a vendor for amounts allegedly due under a supply contract.
• Successfully mediated a commercial disparagement/defamation of credit case involving two national mortgage brokers.
• Was successful in a mortgage foreclosure action on behalf of a property owner that stripped the property of a substantial second mortgage, allowing the property owner to develop and sell the property.
• Was successful in negotiating the settlement of a bad faith insurance claim that resulted in the client receiving 100% of his claim.
News & Publications
• Landlord Alert - HUD Issues New Rule that May Impact Tenant Screening
Construction in Brief: 2013 Volume 2
• Covered Device Recycling Act
Pennsylvania Perspective - February/March 2013
• Pennsylvania's New Abandoned Property Law (PDF)
Pennsylvania Perspective - August/September 2012
• Compulsory Judicial Arbitration: An Arbitrator/Litigator's Top 10 (PDF)
Pennsylvania Bar Association - Solo & Small Firm Practice Section News - Summer 2012
• witf TV's SMART TALK
Smart Talk - April 12, 2012
• Don't Get Stuck in the Deep End
Units - April 2011
• Fire Sprinklers: Are They Worth a Life?
Aol Real Estate Blog - March 10, 2011
• The New ADA Rules Regarding Swimming Pools - Don't Get Stuck in the Deep End...
Pennsylvania Perspective - February/March 2011
• Commercial Lease Renewals: Tenants Beware
Construction In Brief: Summer / Fall 2009
• To Renew or Not to Renew: Why It Is Vital to Know What Your Lease Requires (PDF)
Steve Williams authors article entitled To Renew or Not to Renew: Why It Is Vital to Know What Your Lease Requires. - January 29, 2008
• The Codes Inspector Cometh (PDF)
Steven Williams authors article entitled The Codes Inspector Cometh. - May 1, 2007
• Steve Williams Joins Cohen Seglias Pallas Greenhall & Furman, PC
April 6, 2007
• Understanding Pennsylvania'sAt-Will Employment StandardWill Help Townships andEmployees Alike (PDF)
Steven Williams authors article entitled Understanding Pennsylvania's At-Will Employment Standard Will Help Townships and Employees Alike. - September 1, 2006
• PAA-Central Fair Housing Seminar
November 13, 2014 - Hershey, PA
• Society for Marketing Professional Services Seminar: Social Media in the Workplace
October 22, 2014 - Harrisburg, PA
• PAA-Central Fair Housing Seminar
October 16, 2014 - State College, PA
• BOMA of Central PA: Mad Men in the Mirror - Taking a Candid Look at Your Sexual Harassment Practices and Policies
September 9, 2014 - Harrisburg, PA
• ACC Central PA Chapter Presentation - Bankruptcy and Collections Refresher
August 27, 2014 - Harrisburg, PA
• 6th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
April 30, 2014 - Philadelphia, PAMay 6, 2014 - Hershey, PA
• AACP: Landlord and Tenant Issues from A-Z
December 11, 2013 - State College, PA
• AACP: Fair Housing Seminar
November 14, 2013 - Harrisburg, PA
• Pennsylvania Manufactured Housing Association (PHMA): Fair Housing Seminar
November 13, 2013 - Carlisle, PA
• Apartment Association of Central Pennsylvania (AACP): Fair Housing Seminar
October 24, 2013 - State College, PA
• Western Pennsylvania Apartment Association (WPAA): Fair Housing Seminar
October 22, 2013 - Greentree, PA
• Social Media in the Workplace Presentation
August 6, 2013 - Harrisburg, PA
• 5th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
March 5, 2013 - Philadelphia, PAMarch 13, 2013 - Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2013 - Harrisburg, PA
• Real Estate 101: Buying and Selling Residential Real Property
Summer series 2012
• 2012 NAA Education Conference & Exposition-Put Your Best Facebook Forward
June 28-30, 2012 - Boston, MA
• 4th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar
March 13, 2012 - Philadelphia, PAMarch 27, 2012 - Harrisburg, PAApril 11, 2012 - Pittsburgh, PA
• Manufactured Home Community Rights Act
October 26, 2011 - Mechanicsburg, PA
• 2011 NAA Education Conference & Exposition
June 21-25, 2011 - Las Vegas, Nevada
• Fair Housing and Landlord/Tenant Law
November 19, 2009 - Hummelstown, PA
• Landlord Tenant Law: From A to Z
May 14, 2009 - Harrisburg, PA
• 2009 Homeland Security Conference: Insurance Claim Disputes When Disaster Strikes
March 26, 2009 - Harrisburg, PA
• Fair Housing Program
December 10, 2009 - Hummelstown, PA
• Commercial and Residential Evictions in Pennsylvania
May 13, 2008 - Harrisburg, PA
• New Mechanics' Lien Law: Basics for Architectural Firms
April 24, 2007
Awards & Recognition
• Steven has achieved an AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating for professional ethical standards and legal ability by Martindale-Hubbell.
• MS Leadership Class of 2012. MS Leadership is a group of Central Pennsylvania professionals who have made outstanding contributions to their profession and community.
• Steven was elected to the board of directors for the Pennsylvania Apartment Association and the Apartment Association of Central Pennsylvania.
• Pennsylvania Law Amends the Landlord and Tenant Act
July 16, 2012
• Update on House Bill 377 - Residential Sprinkler Law Repealed
June 10, 2011
• Residential Sprinklers - Update on HB 377
April 14, 2011
• National Apartment Association (NAA) - Pennsylvania Delegate and Member of Legislative Committee
• Greater Harrisburg Association of Realtors (GHAR) - Government Relations Committee
• Pennsylvania Apartment Association - Central (PAA) - Board Member
• Western Pennsylvania Apartment Association (WPAA)
• Pennsylvania Association of Realtors (PAR)
• Building Owners and Managers Association International (BOMA)
• BOMA Central Pennsylvania (BOMA) - Board of Directors
• Pennsylvania Manufactured Housing Association (PMHA)
• Dauphin County Bar Association
• Pennsylvania Bar Association (PBA)
• The William W. Lipsitt American Inn of Court - Dauphin County Bar Association
• Harrisburg Regional Chamber & CREDC
(Also at Harrisburg and Pittsburgh Office)