Franchise representation. Susan represented one of her franchisors from the time it began franchising until it had over 1,500 operational units and was acquired by a multi-brand franchise company. She has also represented a multitude of other franchisors in connection with structuring and operating their franchise systems.
Extensive regulatory and contractual knowledge. Susan represented an HMO and PPO for several years during their entry into the Arizona healthcare landscape, assisting them with their regulatory and contractual needs, until the time that they were acquired by a competitor.
Get To Know Susan In Her Own Words
"My goal is to facilitate the goals of my clients by understanding their business objectives and assisting them achieve those objectives with a level of risk that's acceptable to them."
"I act as a trusted advisor to my clients in connection with their business matters. Their best interests are my key focus. They value my direct, pragmatic advice that is designed to facilitate their business transactions and keep them out of litigation."
- Susan's 30 years of practice include mergers and acquisitions and securities at large law firms in Phoenix and New York City, as well as several years as a solo practitioner. That breadth of experience provides Susan the knowledge and experience necessary to assist clients with their complex transactions, while appreciating their entrepreneurial need for an attorney that offers practical advice in a cost-effective manner.
- Susan's corporate and business practice encompasses all aspects of general business matters and commercial relationships in numerous industries, including contracts, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, financings, regulatory compliance, choice of business entity, corporate governance and day-to-day operations, in addition to a wide variety of other arrangements.
- Susan represents franchisors in connection with structuring and operating their franchise systems, compliance with franchise laws and drafting and negotiating Franchise Agreements. She also assists prospective franchisees in connection with their consideration of prospective franchise systems and review/negotiation of their Franchise Agreements.
- Susan acts as "general counsel" for a number of her clients that either do not have attorneys on staff or may need to supplement their in-house capabilities.
Professional and Civic Service
- American Bar Association, Forum on Franchising
- Arizona State Bar Association
- Member of the Scottsdale League for the Arts (the sponsoring organization of the Scottsdale Culinary Festival, the proceeds of which support arts programs in Arizona);
- Former member of the International Rescue Committee Micro-enterprise Development Loan Committee
- St. Mary's Food Bank volunteer
- Named Franchise Times Legal Eagle for 2011 and 2012
- Southwest Super Lawyers
- Phoenix Magazine's One of the Valley's Best Attorneys
- Listed in The Best Lawyers of America
- Named 2012 Best Lawyers in Franchise Law
- The Reluctant Franchisor
- Too Good to be True? New FTC Rules May Help You Evaluate that Business Opportunity
- Better Safe Than Sorry: UCC Termination Statements
- Doing Your Homework Now Will Yield Future Rewards in Franchising
- Magic Number: Age 26 - Big Changes to Employer Health Care Plans
- New Gift Card Rules Effective
- The Great Recession Provides Planning Opportunities
- Advance Planning Can Keep Your New Business Partnership Amicable
- Practical Advice About Becoming Your Own Boss
- Are your Independent Contractors Actually Employees?
- Top 10 Reasons Why Franchise Systems Fail
- Top 6 Reasons Why Franchisees Fail
- Franchise Marketing Materials That Work
- Ready, Set, Start Up. Published in Nov/Dec 2010 issue of Arizona Business Magazine
- "Lease Issues Peculiar to Franchising" - Presentation and Paper at the American Bar Association Forum on Franchising Annual Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona, Oct. 10-12, 2007
- Avoid These Five Mistakes in Buying a Business
- Baby Boomer Business Transitions
Susan Wells is named Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year 2013
Susan Wells is rated AV Preeminent from Martindale-Hubbell