Susan is the founder and Chair of the firm's Immigration Practice, which is composed of 12 attorneys and 18 immigration specialists and assistants who service the immigration needs of Mintz Levin's existing corporate and individual clients, and of new clients who choose the firm precisely for its knowledge in the field of immigration and nationality law.
Susan is actively involved in the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and has chaired and co-chaired a wide range of national AILA committees, including the National Planning Committee for AILA's Annual Immigration Law Conference. She also serves on the review board for AILA periodicals. Susan serves as the ABA's liaison to the Department of Labor on immigration-related issues. She is a frequent panelist at AILA, ABA, and other immigration-related conferences, and a contributor to AILA, ABA, and other immigration-related publications.
Susan was involved in contributing to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations implementing the Immigration Act of 1990, the Department of Labor regulations implementing changes to the H-1B visa category as a result of the American Competitiveness and Workforce Improvement Act of 1998, and the Department of Labor PERM labor certification regulations issued in 2004.
Susan has won awards for her political asylum work from the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts, the Political Asylum/Immigration Representation (PAIR) Project, the Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, and Mintz Levin.
During law school, she served on the Cardozo Law Review.
Recognitions & Awards
•Recipient of the Irish International Immigrant Center's Solas Award (2014)
•Chambers USA: Nationwide - Immigration (2013 - 2015)
•Recommended as a leading lawyer by The Legal 500 United States for Labor and Employment: Immigration (2013-2014)
•Chambers Global Guide: Immigration: Business
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
•Best Lawyers in America: Immigration Law (2007 - 2015)
•Named to the Short List for Corporate Immigration - USA by Finance Monthly (2014)
•Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly: Circle of Excellence Award (2013)
•International Who's Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers (2002 - 2014)
•Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Immigration (2004, 2008 - 2013)
•Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly: Women of Justice Award (2008)
• Speaker, Cutting Edge Immigration Strategies, US Chamber of Commerce (05.01.2014)
• Panelist, Steps for Implementing the New Form I-9, Mintz Levin, Boston, MA (04.09.2013)
• Speaker, Expatriating Employees to the US: Understanding US Immigration Law, The Japan HR Society, Tokyo, Japan (03.15.2013)
• Speaker, U.S. Immigration Options for Entrepreneurs, Start-Ups, and Established Companies, MIT Open Network Lab, Tokyo, Japan (03.14.2013)
• Speaker, Recent Developments in U.S. Immigration Law and Policy, MIT Alumni Club, Tokyo, Japan (03.13.2013)
• Chair, How to Navigate the US Visa Maze, Starting Operations in the US: How to Do It Right, Mintz Levin and Israel Advanced Technology Industries, Israel Liaison Office (03.27.2012)
• Speaker, Regulatory Aspects of Investments, Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Distribution in the US by Indian Companies, US and India: Key Legal Aspects of Cross Border Business Conference, American Bar Association Section of International Law, Mumbai, Indian (01.20.2012)
• Speaker, Hot Topics in US Immigration Law: What Should Employers Expect in 2012?, Mintz Levin, New York, NY (11.15.2011)
• Speaker, Hot Topics in US Immigration Law: What Should Employers Expect in 2012?, Mintz Levin, Boston, MA (11.01.2011)
• Speaker, Creative Strategies for Prevailing Wage Determination (LCA/PERM), American Immigration Lawyers Association, Webinar (08.18.2011)
• Panelist, Practical Advice for Employment Growth while Complying with State & Federal Immigration Enforcement Initiatives, Practical Advice for Employment Growth while Complying with State & Federal Immigration Enforcement, Mintz Levin, Webinar (04.28.2011)
• Speaker, Dean's Speaker Series for Students, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York, NY (03.28.2011)
• Speaker, Export Licenses: What You Need to Know for Compliance, Mintz Levin, Webinar (01.20.2011)
• Panelist, Fundamentals of Employment Law, 9th Annual Fundamentals of Employment Law, Sterling Educational Services, Inc., Boston, MA (11.17.2010)
• Moderator, Local Economics Meets Global Migration: A Global Review of Recent Restrictive Immigration Measures and Their Impact on Global Mobility, ABA Section on International Law Fall Meeting, American Bar Association (11.05.2010)
• Speaker, The Horses are Running - Prevailing Wage Issues, AILA 2010 PERM Conference: A Day at the Races, American Immigration Lawyers Association, New Orleans, LA (10.22.2010)
• Speaker, Maximizing Immigration Success: Cutting-Edge Strategies and Solutions to Recruit and Retain the Most Talented Workforce, Maximizing Immigration Success: Cutting-Edge Strategies and Solutions to Recruit and Retain the Most, Boston, MA (06.10.2010)
• Speaker, Hot Topics in US Corporate Immigration Law, Hot Topics in US Corporate Immigration Law (05.28.2010)