Susan Tarbe has been practicing law for over 25 years, with 13 years of experience in the areas of commercial litigation and white collar criminal defense. Prior to joining Greenberg Traurig as Assistant General Counsel, Susan was a Partner with Colson Hicks Eidson from 2001-2009. She was Of Counsel in the Litigation Department in Greenberg Traurig's Miami office from 1999-2001 and she held the position of General Counsel, Executive Vice President and Chief Compliance Officer for a publicly traded health care corporation with revenues in excess of $200 million from 1996-1999.
Her experience includes more than 11 years of federal trial and grand jury practice as an Assistant United States Attorney with the United States Attorney's Office where she was Chief of the Economic Crimes Division, which included the supervision and coordination of all health care fraud, money laundering and financial investigations and prosecutions. Susan's private practice focuses on litigation, white collar crime, health care and corporate compliance. She also held the positions of Chief of Special Investigations (Major Crimes) and Deputy Chief of Major Crimes.
Areas of Concentration
· Personal Injury: Aviation
· Commercial Litigation: Business disputes between major corporations
· Internal Corporate Investigations
· Health Care: Compliance programs; fraud and abuse issues, physician practice issues; qui tam lawsuits
· White Collar Criminal Defense: Health care fraud and financial investigations
· Classified Information Procedures Act Litigation
· Personal Injury: Aircraft litigation
· Federal Criminal Environmental
· Environmental Compliance
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, American Health Lawyers Association
· Member, American Trial Lawyers Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense: White Collar; Commercial Litigation, 2007-2014
· Listed, one of "Top Lawyers in South Florida," South Florida Legal Guide, 2009-2011 and 2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2008-2009
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2010-2012
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented company in federal criminal environmental investigation and prosecution; compliance negotiations with United States EPA.
· Represented plaintiffs in military aircraft crash wrongful death cases.
· Represented company in lawsuit brought by the government of Aruba; obtained significant judgment in counterclaim in favor of client with no damages awarded to plaintiff.
· Represented health care corporations and health care providers in qui tam investigations by Department of Justice.
· Represented public company in health care fraud investigations by Department of Justice and Florida Attorney General's Office.
· Prosecuted significant health care cases.
· Prosecuted international arms dealer in export and customs fraud case.
· Prosecuted significant money laundering cases.
° Some of the above representations were handled by Ms. Tarbe prior to her joining Greenberg Traurig, P.A.
· Partner, Colson Hicks Eidson: Commercial Litigation; Personal Injury (Aircraft Litigation); Health Care Fraud; White Collar Crime; Securities Litigation; Federal and State Environmental Litigation, 2001- 2009
· Of Counsel, Greenberg Traurig, P.A.: Commercial Litigation; Health Care Fraud, represented health care companies in government investigations; Securities Litigation; White Collar Crime, 1999-2001
· General Counsel, Executive Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer, Continucare Corporation: Responsibility included all legal matters for American Stock Exchange listed health care company with revenues of approximately $200 million and with facilities and center in Florida and Southeastern United States. Additional responsibilities as General Counsel and Executive Vice President of the Company included General; Corporate; Securities; Health Care; Health Care Mergers and Acquisitions; and Litigation, 1996-1999
· Assistant United States Attorney, United States Attorney's Office
- Chief, Economic Crimes Division, 1994-1996
- Chief, Special Investigations Section, 1992-1994
- Deputy Chief, Major Crimes, 1992
- Trial Attorney
· Clerk, Honorable William M. Hoeveler, United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Lectured on health care compliance programs and qui tam actions.
· Lectured on Classified Information Procedures Act (CIPA) litigation.