Chair of the firm's Global Trademarks and Brand Management Group, Susan is consistently recognized as having one of the preeminent trademark practices in the country. Highly visible Fortune 500 companies, world champion athletes, and A-list entertainment personalities turn to Susan for "bet-the brand," high stakes trademark cases. As lead counsel, she leverages, monetizes and protects world famous brands and global trademark portfolios.
Susan has received prestigious honors and awards from highly regarded organizations and publications naming her a leading California, US and international trademark attorney. Most notably, Susan was one of 40 attorneys named to the Los Angeles Business Journal's list of "Who's Who in L.A. Law: Angelenos to Know in Intellectual Property Law," 2012. She was selected by the Los Angeles and San Francisco Daily Journal as one of the "Top 25 Intellectual Property Lawyers in California," from 2003-2012, "Top 100 Women Lawyers" in California for 2011 and one of the "Top 100" Lawyers in California in 2010. Susan was also chosen by Law360as one of the "10 Most Admired Intellectual Property Attorneys" in the United States in 2010. She has been selected as one of the top trademark attorneys in the United States (Band 1) by World Trademark Review (WTR 1000) for 2011 and 2012. She was recognized by The Legal 500 in connection with trademark litigation and selected for inclusion in Euromoney's 2011 Guide to the World's Leading Trade Mark Law Practitioners as a pre-eminent figure in global trademark law and its 2010 and 2012 Guides to the World's Leading Women in Business Law, and Euromoney Media Group's Americas Women in Business Awards "Best in Trademark."
Susan helps her clients monetize and optimize their critical IP assets through strategic positioning, management, and enforcement of their worldwide trademark, copyright and domain name portfolios and extensive collateral product licensing. Susan is known for partnering with her clients, working with their legal, marketing and business teams to ensure that marketing strategies and business sensitivities are integrated into her legal analysis and advice. She advises clients in the business and legal aspects of the naming and branding process and provides strategic guidance to her entertainment clients in connection with product integration. Susan conducts trademark due diligence in M&A transactions and works with corporate and tax attorneys on asset-based financing and restructuring IP assets for tax planning. In addition, she regularly represents clients in connection with ICANN domain name arbitration proceedings.
Susan has served as the outside Director on the Board of Directors of Intangible Holding Companies for Starbucks, The GAP, Banana Republic and Old Navy, highlighting corporate counsels' trust in her ability to assess and apply both legal and business principles and strategies to branding challenges. Her practice has spanned over 29 years across virtually every industry and in most jurisdictions throughout the world. She began her career as an Examining Attorney at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
Areas of Concentration
· U.S. and international trademark litigation and TTAB practice (oppositions and cancellations)
· U.S. and international trademark and copyright clearance, procurement, enforcement and portfolio management
· Brand Protection and Expansion
· U.S. and international intellectual property transactions
· Intellectual property strategy
· UDRP proceedings
· Domain name acquisition, protection and disputes
Professional & Community Involvement
· Board of Directors, Century City Chamber of Commerce
· Member and Past Chair, American Bar Association, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Subcommittee on Rules
· Member, President's Council of Cornell Women
· Steering Committee, Inaugural San Francisco Mayor's Summit for Women
· Steering Committee, San Francisco Symphony 1999 Black and White Ball
· Host Committee Member, National Women's Law Center (NWLC), 2012
· INTA US Legislation Committee, 2010-2012 and 2012-2014
· Member, International Trademark Association, U.S. Legislation Committee, 2010-2012
· Intellectual Property Editorial Advisory Board, Law360, 2010
· Executive Committee, USC Law School Intellectual Property Institute, 2007 and 2008
· Planning Committee, USC Law School Intellectual Property Institute, 2004-2006, 2009-2011
· Member, Century City Bar Association
· Past Pro Bono Legal Advisor, Breast Cancer Fund
· Past Pro Bono Legal Advisor, American Sports Institute
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Managing IP Magazine's World IP Handbook and Survey, "IP Stars," 2013
· Shortlisted, Euromoney Legal Media Group's Americas Women in Business Law Awards, "Best in Trademark," 2013
· Recognized by Daily Journal, "Top 25 IP Portfolio Managers in California," 2012-2013
· Recognized by Los Angeles Business Journal, "Who's Who in L.A. Law: Angelenos to Know in Intellectual Property Law," 2012
· Recognized by Los Angeles and San Francisco Daily Journal
- "Top 100 Women Lawyers in California," 2011
- "Top 100 Lawyers in California," 2010
- "Top 25 Intellectual Property Lawyers in California," 2003-2013
· Profiled, Law360, "10 Most Admired Intellectual Property Attorneys" in the United States, 2010
· Recognized by World Trademark Review, "WTR 1000"
- Ranked Gold in National, Prosecution and Strategy, 2012-2013
- Ranked Gold in California, Prosecution and Strategy, 2012-2013
- Ranked Band 1 in California, Non-Contentious, 2011
· Listed, The Legal 500 United States, 2010-2011, 2013
· Chosen by Martindale-Hubbell for inclusion in its "Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers," 2011
· Ranked, Practical Law Company (PLC), Recommended Attorney in Intellectual Property, 2009-2012
- Recognized and featured, as a "Leading Intellectual Property Lawyer in the U.S.," IP in Business Transactions Multi-Jurisdictional Guide, 2012
- Ranked, "Highly Recommended" as an IP Specialist in Los Angeles, Practical Law Company, 2008
· Selected by Euromoney Institutional Investor's Expert Guides
- Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law, 2010 and 2012
- Guide to the World's Leading Trade Mark Law Practitioners, 2009 and 2011
· Listed, CSC Trademark Insider Annual Report
- "Top 25 Trademark Attorneys," 2008 and 2009
- "Top 50 Trademark Attorneys," 2005 and 2007
· Listed, Who's Who among Executives and Professionals, "Honors Edition," 2008 and 2009
· Selected by Global Counsel 3000, as a "Leading Intellectual Property Lawyer," 2005
· Recognized by Managing Intellectual Property magazine's Guide to the World's Leading Trademark Practitioners for 2005
· Listed, Who's Who of Trademark Lawyers, 2005
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Southern California Super Lawyers, 2004-2013
· Rated, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5
· Represented Saul Zaentz Film Company (and New Line Cinema) in the worldwide protection and enforcement of the Lord of the Rings (trilogy) trademark portfolio. Filed more than 2000 trademark applications and negotiated and drafted numerous license agreements to cover the use of those marks throughout the world.
· Represent leading investment manager in worldwide brand protection and expansion programs since 1995.
· Represent numerous entertainment personalities in the branding and rebranding of their names and images.
· Board of Directors and Corporate Secretary, Starbucks U.S. Brands
· Board of Directors, Gap (Apparel) Inc.
· Board of Directors, Banana Republic (Apparel) Inc.
· Board of Directors, Old Navy (Apparel) Inc.
· Board of Directors, Sunny Hills Children's Garden