Susan has managed the firm's Trademark Practice for over 10 years. For over 25 years, her practice has involved all aspects of intellectual property and related corporate business transactions, with a particular emphasis on domestic and international trademark and copyright searching, prosecution, enforcement, counseling, and litigation. She specializes in trademark, copyright, domain name, trade dress, and related areas of Internet, e-commerce, unfair competition, customs, and advertising law, as well as intellectual property administrative litigation proceedings before the US Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceedings before ICANN, and federal civil litigation.
Her practice also encompasses intellectual property licensing, trade secrets, establishing corporate intellectual property programs, and conducting corporate audits and domestic and international due diligence investigations. She works with IP firms worldwide in protecting and enforcing her clients' IP rights.
Susan has served as an Associate mentor and advisor for many years. She also serves as the public relations liaison for the DC Office and works closely with the firm's Marketing and PR departments in this capacity. Susan represents the firm as well as its affiliated entities in trademark and copyright matters.
Throughout her career, Susan has been an active writer and speaker. Susan has authored and contributed to numerous intellectual property books and publications and has served as an intellectual property commentator on Court TV, in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Washington Post, and in other national and regional publications. She frequently presents and lectures on all aspects of intellectual property.
Susan participates in many professional and community service organizations. Her commitment to pro bono work for clients has been publicly recognized and is highlighted annually in the firm's annual Pro Bono Report. She has also been recognized by many different organizations for her professional excellence and ethics.
Susan has been active for many years in the International Trademark Association (INTA), has served on numerous INTA committees and task forces, and was an editor for The Trademark Reporter. In addition, she participates in the intellectual property activities of the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the American Bar Association, the New York Intellectual Property Law Association, and the DC and Virginia bar associations. She has also served on several committees of the Technology Council of Maryland.
Recognitions & Awards
•Washington DC Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property (2007 - 2010, 2013 - 2015)
•Virginia Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property (2006)
•Legal Media Group: World's Leading Trade Mark Practitioners (2012)
•Legal Media Group: World's Leading Women in Business Law (2012)
•American Registry: America's Most Honored Professionals (2012)
•American Registry: Top Attorneys in the Washington, DC Metro Area (2011)
•Arrive magazine: “Top Women Lawyers in the Northeast” (2011)
•Who's Who Legal USA: Trademarks
•The United Who's Who Registry
•Biltmore Who's Who Among Executives and Professional Women, Honors Edition
•Guide to the World's Leading Trade Mark Law Practitioners (2012 - 2013)
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
•Excellence in legal writing award, International Trademark Association
•Author, It's a Material IP World: Trademarks, Copyrights, Design Patents and Fabric Designs, Asia IP (12.2014)
• Author, Court to Sen. Hershey: Tear Down Those Signs, Law360 (07.30.2014)
• Author, Some Companies Must Do More to Protect Brand Identity, Law360 (12.03.2012)
• Author, When Can You Claim a Color as Your Trademark?, Trademark, Copyright & Domain Name Protection Advisory (09.14.2012)
• Author, How Copyright Law Protects Building Designs, Law360 (09.13.2012)
• Author, Yes, Virginia, Even the President of the United States Must Search Copyrights and Trademarks..., Westlaw Journal: Intellectual Property (08.09.2012)
• Author, Perfecting Security Interests in Intellectual Property... Not as Obvious as You Might Think, Intellectual Property Alert (06.27.2012)
• Co-author, Beware of Trademark Fee Scams in Europe and Asia, Trademark Alert (05.25.2011)
• Co-author, Mandatory Copyright Deposits: What You Don't Know You Don't Know, Copyright Advisory (05.19.2011)
• Co-author, What Trademark Owners Need to Know About the .XXX Domain, Trademark Alert (05.09.2011)
• Co-author, The Law That Protects the Appearance of Your Website, Trademark Advisory (04.15.2011)
• Co-author, U.S. Supreme Court Reaches a Split Decision in Costco Wholesale Corporation v. Omega S.A., Copyright Alert (12.17.2010)
• Co-author, Are You Sure Your Company Owns That Copyright? The Work for Hire Doctrine, Copyright Advisory (11.03.2010)
• Co-author, International Trademark Protection: Why Don't My U.S. Rights Protect Me Elsewhere?, Trademark Advisory (11.02.2010)
• Proper Use of Your Brand Name As a Trademark or Service Mark, Trademark & Copyright Advisory (09.28.2010)
• Co-author, Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights: Knowing the Difference, Intellectual Property Advisory (04.29.2010)
•Twelve Mintz Levin Attorneys Named Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (04.17.2015)
• Eleven Mintz Levin Attorneys Named Washington, DC Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (04.25.2014)
• Nine Mintz Levin Members Named Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (04.29.2013)
• Quoted in Latest Fashion Design IP Bill Has Rough Road Ahead, Law360 (09.21.2012)
• Featured in Sony BMG Music Entertainment v. Tenenbaum, LXBN TV (09.06.2012)
• Mintz Levin's Susan Neuberger Weller Named Among “World's Leading Lawyers” in Legal Media Group Guides, (08.30.2012)
• Three Mintz Levin Members Named Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, (03.24.2008)
• Four Mintz Levin Members Named Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, (04.11.2007)
•Panelist, Are Goods and Services Specifications Inflation Proof?, 14th Open Forum, International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys, Sorrento, Italy (10.03.2013)
• Faculty, GW Mock Trial Board Spring Competition, The George Washington University Law School, Washington, DC (02.09.2013)
• Speaker, A Discussion of the European Community Design Registrations, Mintz Levin, Webinar (11.01.2012)
• Moderator, Leveraging Value from Marks and Copyrights, 2010 Mid-Winter Institute, American Intellectual Property Law Association (01.29.2010)
• Moderator, Leveraging Your Intellectual Property Assets, AIPLA Mid-Winter Institute (01.2010)