Thomas J. Bond is Co-Chair of the firm's Government Law & Policy Practice and Co-Chair of the Insurance Regulatory & Transactions Practice. He focuses his practice on insurance and regulatory law in Texas and on a national basis. His clients include insurance holding companies, life, health and property liability companies, trade associations, reinsurers, health maintenance organizations, title underwriters and agencies, corporate insurance agencies, commercial insured, and the insurance regulators of other states. Tom has managed a number of insurance industry strategic initiatives at the Texas legislature in the areas of workers compensation, health insurance and managed care, credit and specialty lines coverages, broking and regulated transactions, and insurance regulation and taxation.
Tom has been involved in the rehabilitation and liquidation of troubled companies, both hostile and negotiated acquisitions and mergers, numerous regulatory approval projects, investment decisions, and the design and approval of new coverages. He represents clients in connection with regulatory approvals and acquisitions in a number of states. Tom acted as outside counsel to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners in its effort to establish an interstate compact for life and annuity contract filings and approval.
Tom is a frequent speaker on public policy topics related to insurance, health care, and legislative policymaking, and is a strategic advisor to both publicly and privately held insurance enterprises.
Tom also represents diverse clients before the Texas legislature and numerous executive branch agencies.
Areas of Concentration
· Global security
· Policy and regulation
Professional & Community Involvement
· Founding Board Member, The Federation of Regulatory Counsel
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, State Bar of Colorado
· Member, State Bar of Texas
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Government Relations Practice; Insurance Law, 2007-2014
- "Lawyer of the Year," Government Law and Policy, Austin, 2014
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2008-2013
· Selected, "Austin Insurance Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers®, 2011
· Listed, Texas' Best Lawyers, 2009-2010
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Commissioner of Insurance for the State of Texas, 1982-1985
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Speaker, "National Health Care - The Debate Continues," North Dallas Chamber of Commerce Health Care Conference, Dallas, TX, January 12, 2012
· Moderator, "Legislative Panel," 2010 Texas Managed Care Conference and Trade Show, San Antonio, TX, November 9-11, 2010
· Panelist, "Texas Political Landscape," Austin, TX, September 24, 2010
· Speaker, John Peter Smith Health Network Healthcare Summit, Fort Worth, TX, August 23, 2010
· Speaker, Texas Association of Life & Health Insurers 2010 Round Up, San Antonio, TX, August 1-4, 2010
· Speaker, "Federal Health Insurance Requirements," AGC of Texas Management Conference, Maui, HI, June 16-20, 2010
· Speaker, "Texas Politics: A Forecast," Texas Association of Life & Health Insurers Regulatory Round Table, Austin, TX, April 6-7, 2010
· Panelist, "Skating Forward Toward Healthcare Reform," Austin Human Resource Management Association, February 28, 2010
· Speaker, North Dallas Chamber of Commerce Healthcare Conference, January 14, 2010
· Co-Author, "The Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act and the Future of the SChip Program in Today's Economic Climate," Federation of Regulatory Counsel, Inc., February 2009