Tom Woodman has almost 30 years experience resolving large, difficult and complex insurance-related disputes, whether through trial, arbitration or settlement. His practice involves virtually every type of commercial insurance policy. He represents and consults with corporate executives, general counsel, corporations, insurance companies and law firms around the country. Tom prides himself on taking a practical approach to the practice of law. His singular goal is to achieve the best, yet most cost-effective outcome for his client. He has successfully mediated over 1000 insurance-related cases.
Tom also helps corporate clients evaluate and modify risk management and insurance programs to better control and offset risk. He has a broad base of experience counseling clients in several industries, including finance, retail, oil and gas, manufacturing, not-for-profit corporations, and health care.
Areas of Concentration
Insurance Coverage Placement, and Litigation or Settlement of Insurance Disputes Involving:
· Directors & Officers Liability Insurance
· Professional Liability; Errors & Omissions Insurance
· Environmental Insurance; Pollution coverage
· Financial Institution Bonds and Insurance
· Fiduciary Liability Insurance
· Fidelity Insurance; Crime Policies
· Employment practices Liability Insurance Commercial General Liability, Excess and Umbrella Insurance
· "Wraps," "Wrap-ups," Owner-Controlled Insurance Programs ("OCIP's"); Contractor-Controlled Insurance Programs ("CCIP's")
· Property/Business Interruption Insurance
· General Partner Liability Insurance
· Employer's Liability Insurance (coverage for Texas employers opting out of worker's compensation)
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Professionals, Directors & Officers Liability Committee, 2005 - 2010
- Vice Chair, Insurance Coverage Committee, 2005-2007
- Member, ABA Corporate Governance Institute Steering Committee, 2007
- Member, Appellate Advocacy Committee
· Member, State Bar of Texas
· Member, Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
· Texas Bar Foundation (Fellow)
· Dallas Bar Foundation (Fellow)
· Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Houston, 1988-1989
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2006-2014
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Texas Super Lawyers, 2012-2013
· Listed, Texas' Best Lawyers, 2010
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Defended insurer in bad faith coverage litigation brought by energy trader for damages in excess of $10 million E&O policy limits.°
· Defended insurer in coverage litigation involving $50 million fiduciary insurance liability claim arising out of the failure of Enron Corp.°
· Defended multiple insurers' interest in over 300 claims made against national insurance broker exceeding $100 million in E&O claims arising out of the failure to place coverage as represented.°
· Defended insurer in extra-contractual claims in excess of $20 million policy limits brought by non-profit charitable foundation.°
· Represented insurer in defense of extra-contractual claims in excess of $25 million policy limits arising out of professional liability policy issued to law firm defending claims brought by government contractor.°
· Negotiated cost of defense settlement for insurer that ignored obligations under $5 million D&O policy following major settlement between non-profit corporation and the State of Texas.°
· Defended major insurers regarding "other insurance" clauses.°
· Negotiated and resolved numerous property and business interruption claims arising out of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
· Counseled and assisted a wide range of corporations, officers, directors and board members in the procurement of directors and officers coverage.
· Negotiated terms and policy wording, and evaluated effectiveness and sufficiency of multi-tiered D&O insurance program for Fortune 1000 companies.
· Drafted and implemented risk management and insurance programs for community banks.
· Represented underwriters at Lloyd's of London on the evaluation and settlement of over 2500 claims made on state-wide employers primary and excess liability insurance programs.°
· Drafted general partner liability policy for underwriters at Lloyd's of London.°
· Served six years as general counsel for major regional law firm.
°The above representations were handled by Tom prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Speaker, Employment Practices Liability Insurance, Texas Bar CLE, 1998
· Speaker, "Insurance Bad Faith," National Business Institute (NBI), 1994
· Moderator and Speaker, "Employer's Primary Liability Insurance Non-Subscription Symposium," hosted by Lloyd's of London, 1991-1993