Thomas Leslie is the managing shareholder in Greenberg Traurig's White Plains office. He focuses his practice on the areas of banking and finance and he represents some of the largest financial institutions in the United States. His practice concentrates on representing financial institutions and developers in connection with the purchase, sale and financing of real estate, the sale and financing of loan portfolios as well as the financing of fine art, private aircraft and other forms of collateral.
Tom advises lenders specializing in real estate and asset-based financing, revolving credit and term financings. His real estate experience includes zoning and planning matters. He was formerly special counsel to, and a member of, the Village of Bronxville Planning Board in Westchester County, New York. In addition, his experience includes hedge fund lending, swaps and derivatives and other forms of secured lending.
Professional & Community Involvement
· New York State Bar Association
· Westchester County Association Board of Directors
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Land Use and Zoning Law, 2012-2014
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Super Lawyers, 2010-2013
· Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010 and 2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011 and 2012
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented lenders in construction and permanent mortgage loan transactions
· Represented developers in acquiring and financing multi-property office complexes, shopping centers and apartment buildings
· Represented lenders in various asset based loan including real estate, aircraft, art and publicly traded stock as collateral
· Represented lenders in hedge fund secured lending
· Represented developers in connection with leasing commercial buildings
· Represented clients in the acquisition and sale of performing and distressed loan portfolios
· Represented commercial bank in origination of a $56 million term loan secured by a portfolio of 10 fee and leasehold, flagged, limited service hotels located throughout the United States and a pledge of 100% of the equity interests of the hotel owner and licensee, as applicable.
· Represented private wealth group of an institutional lender in origination of a $110 million term loan secured by a boutique hotel in New York, as well as office condominium units, townhomes and a resort and spa in Florida.
· Represented international fund in disposition of Real Estate Owned (REO) office assets throughout the Northeast United States.
· Represented community bank in origination and participation of fee and leasehold first-priority mortgage loan and second-priority building loan secured by industrial property in New York subject to Industrial Development Agency benefits.
· Represented private equity fund in origination and workout of a $11.5 million bridge loan secured by a limited service hotel in midtown Manhattan, as well as a pledge of 100% of the membership interests in the borrower.
· Represented private equity fund in origination and workout of a $24 million bridge loan secured by hotel development site in midtown Manhattan, as well as a pledge of 100% of the membership interests in the borrower and certain air rights.
· Represented private equity fund in workout of a $34 million bridge loan secured by multiple commercial properties in Manhattan.
· Represented private equity fund in negotiation and preparation of settlement documents in connection with mechanics' liens encumbering REO assets.
· Represented commercial bank in connection with the origination and workout of an approximately $32 million construction loan to multiple borrowers secured by a mixed-use development parcel in Pennsylvania, as well as a pledge of 100% of the equity interests in the co-borrowers.
· Represented community bank in origination of mortgage loan secured by industrial site, and modification and increase of business line of credit in favor of construction and equipment leasing company.
· Represented community bank in origination of a mortgage loan secured by two industrial sites in Brooklyn, New York and a revolving line of credit secured by a fleet of vehicles.
· Represented family real estate office in acquisitions, sales, financing and leasing of a variety of assets classes throughout the United States, including multi-family, industrial, office, retail and mixed-use.
· Represented private wealth group of institutional lender in origination of an $85 million term loan secured by marketable securities and hedge fund interests.
· Represented institutional lender in origination of $90 million syndicated revolving credit facility secured by all non-real estate assets of the borrower.
· Represented private wealth group of institutional lender in origination of a $15 million term loan secured by an aircraft.
· Represented private wealth group of an institutional lender in origination of a $30 million revolving credit facility secured by marketable securities and hedge fund interests.
· Represented private equity fund in negotiation and documentation of a settlement with the board of a residential condominium in New York upon said fund's acquisition and foreclosure of the senior mortgage loan.
· Represented private wealth group of an institutional lender in origination of a $30 million term loan secured by artwork located throughout the world.
· Represented private equity fund in acquisition and disposition of a portfolio of 24 office assets located throughout United States valued at approximately $143 million
° Certain of the above representations were handled by Mr. Leslie prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.