Mr. Johnston approaches his practice with a passion for the law and a commitment to carry out his client's objectives. Clients enjoy working with him because he is both strategic and sensible in his approach to legal issues. By considering client issues from many angles he determines which option will produce the most favorable outcome.
Mr. Johnston aggressively litigates employment, commercial and telecommunications matters in federal, state and administrative courts in New York and New Jersey. He also handles traditional labor matters, representing employers. He counsels private companies, schools and governmental bodies on general business and operational challenges. His private company clientele range from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies. While he is adamant about advancing his clients' interests, he is equally committed to achieving win-win results and avoiding litigation for clients, if possible.
Mr. Johnston is extensively engaged in contributing to his community - from advancing the charter school movement to serving as general counsel to an affordable housing nonprofit organization, and as counsel for political campaigns.
Clients who look for a first-rate strategic legal mind with a relentless focus on achieving clients' goals look to Tom Johnston.
Honors and Awards
•Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, AV Rating (highest rating)
•Recognized by New Jersey Law Journal in their annual 40 Under 40 list of attorneys, 2009
Prior Relevent Experience
•Ravin, Sarasohn, Cook, Baumgarten, Fisch & Rosen, Roseland, NJ, Litigation Associate, 1999-2000
•Deloitte & Touche, LLP, New York, New York, Consultant, 1998-1999
•Honorable Alfred J. Lechner, Jr., United States District Judge, District of New Jersey, Judicial Intern, 1996
• Supreme Courts Deliver a Mixed Bag for Employers, Porzio Employment Law Monthly, January 29, 2015.
• Payroll Deductions in New York: Employer Beware, Porzio Employment Law Monthly Newsletter, December 2013.
• Evaluating Key Clauses and Terms in Today's Employment Agreements, Inside the Minds - Negotiating and Drafting Employment Agreements, 2012 Edition.
• How Facebook May Be The New Office Water Cooler, Porzio Employment Law Monthly Newsletter, September 2011.
• Whistleblower or Opportunist, New Jersey Labor and Employment Law Quarterly, Vol. 32 No. 3 Pgs. 28-29, March 2011.
• Practical Tips for Construction Contractors to Avoid Losing a Public Works Contract to a Material Defect, New Jersey State Bar Association Construction Law Section Newsletter, Vol. 15 No. 1, August 2010.
• Legal Considerations When a Board Hires a Consultant, The Corporate Governance Advisor, January/February 2001.
• Hot Button Issues in Employment Law: Ethical Issues, Social Media, and Beyond, New York County Lawyers Association, New York, NY, October 5, 2015.
• Current Trends Employment Law Issues and Tax - 2015, CPE Seminar, Paramus, NJ, July 27, 2015.
• Current Trends Employment Law Issues and Tax - 2015 Update, Wall Township, NJ, May 20, 2015.
• The Basics on Charter Schools and Tax, 7th Annual New Jersey Charter Schools Conference, Atlantic City, NJ, March 30, 2015.
• Employment Law: Employers Guide to the Law and Taxes, CPE seminar, East Brunswick, NJ, January 22, 2015.
• Current Trends in Wage and House Collective Actions, Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, November 2014.
• Important Everyday Legal Issues Confronting Charter Schools, New Jersey Charter School Conference, Atlantic City NJ, April 7, 2014.
• The Interactive Process: How Reasonable Do Your Reasonable Accommodations Have To Be?, Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, November 2013.
• Current Hot Topics in Charter School Law, New Jersey Charter Schools Conference, April 15, 2013.
• Employment Agreements: Going for the 'Win-Win', Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, December 2012.
• The Value of a Thorough Investigation: Can You Afford Not To Have One?, Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, November 17, 2011.
• Hiring and Monitoring Employees, Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, October 26, 2010.
• Wage and Hour Update, Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, October 6, 2009.
• Family Leave Act, New Jersey Library Association Conference, Long Branch, NJ, April 28, 2009.