Since 1989, Tim Hewson has exclusively represented health care providers. He regularly counsels hospitals, long-term care facilities, multi-specialty physician practices and other health care entities on the following issues:
· Managed care
· Acquisitions and reorganizations
· Hospital / physician joint ventures
· Stark and Anti-Kickback advice
· Governmental investigations
· Physician recruiting and employment
· Medical director agreements
· Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law)since 2009
· AV rated by Martindale Hubbell
Large multi-hospital health system
Physician Integration Advice
· Advise client on various physician arrangements including joint ventures, employment agreements, hospital-based physician agreements and independent contractor agreements.
Compliance Program Advice
· Advise client in assessing compliance program and developing refinements to policies and procedures for physician arrangements and HIPAA compliance.
Large multi-specialty physician group
Advice on Joint Ventures
· Advise client on the creation and formation of joint ventures, including structuring high tech equipment leases in compliance with applicable Federal and State compliance.
Advice on Asset Sale
· Advise large multi-specialty physician group in negotiating sale of an ambulatory surgery center and related transactions.
· Advise client in syndication of ambulatory surgery center to physicians.
· Advise client regarding outsourcing /services arrangements.
Tim is also general counsel to multiple hospitals and in that role, he has:
· Developed multiple ambulatory surgery centers owned jointly by the hospital and a group of physicians.
· Negotiated and developed exclusive service agreements for multiple services including pathology, cardiology, anesthesiology, radiology and ER.
· Assisted a governmental hospital client in the development and implementation of a new compliance policy. As a result of this process, the client now possesses an up-to-date, user-friendly compliance policy that is applicable to the day to day operations of a hospital.
· Advised on board governance issues including standards of care and conflicts of interest policies concluding in the development of revised policies in these areas.
· Structured physician recruitment, independent contractor, employment and joint ventures arrangements.
77 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to the 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce that 77 attorneys have been named to Best Lawyers in America for 2014.
Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to the 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named to the Best Lawyers in America® list for 2013.
62 Attorneys Named to the 2012 Edition of Best Lawyers®
Nexsen Pruet is proud to announce that 62 of its attorneys have been named to the 2012 edition of Best Lawyers®.
Fifty-nine Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers in America®; Five Practice Areas Listed Among Top in the Carolinas
Nexsen Pruet is proud to announce that 59 of its attorneys have been named to the 2011 edition of Best Lawyers®.
Nexsen Pruet Earns Designation as 'Midlands Green Business'
Nexsen Pruet has earned designation as a Midlands Green Business, joining other Columbia-area organizations that are committed to environmentally responsible practices in the workplace.
Fifty-eight Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers in America®
Fifty-eight Nexsen Pruet attorneys will be included in the 2010 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.
45 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers
Columbia, SC - Forty-five Nexsen Pruet attorneys will be included in the 2009 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. The publication also ranks Nexsen Pruet #1 in eleven practice areas in South Carolina and three in North Carolina.
Amendment to the Stark Law Effective January 1
The healthcare reform act, known as the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), has now been passed into law and will affect the lives of Americans in numerous ways. One change impacts the way in which some healthcare entities operate their businesses to comply with the ever changing landscape of the Stark law.
Negotiating Managed Care Contracts
Managed Care: Are Physicians and Hospitals Friends or Foes?
A presentation to the North Carolina Healthcare Financial Managers' Association (NCHFMA).
Co-presenter, "Evaluating Physician Affiliation & Network Integration: A Conversation for Boards & Administration", South Carolina Hospital Association Annual Trustees, Administrator and Physicians ("TAP") meeting, Hilton Head, SC - September 2012
Co-Presenter, FQHC & Hospital Forum on Collaboration, South Carolina Hospital Association, July 2011
Co-presenter, "Anti-trust Issues in the Managed Care World," South Carolina Hospital Association, July 2010
Tim Hewson of the firm's Columbia office presented "Physician Recruiting: The Legal Boundaries and Contracting" to the Carolinas Association of Physician Services in Asheville, North Carolina. The presentation dealt with Stark and Anti-kickback issues, state self-referral/kickback laws and federal tax issues.
Tim Hewson of the firm's Columbia office presented "Pay-for-Performance," a new method of reimbursement being tested by Medicare and other private payers. The presentation was to the South Carolina Healthcare Managers Association and was given at Palmetto Health Baptist.
Anti-trust Issues in the Managed Care World
Annual Health Care Executive Summit
Civic & Professional Memberships
· American Health Lawyers Association
· Health Care Financial Management Association