Toni P. Wise focuses her practice on representing companies in the acquisition, leasing and financing of real estate and business ventures, with an emphasis on the representation of emerging and established life sciences and technology companies in the acquisition and development of office, manufacturing and research facilities, and in the management of corporate campuses and facilities. Toni is also experienced in commercial and retail leasing, representing building owners, developers, real estate advisors and users, and in real estate secured financings. Toni represents both lenders and borrowers in structured finance transactions and synthetic leasing.
Areas of Concentration
· Real estate acquisitions and dispositions
· Real estate financing
· Biotech facilities
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, Silicon Valley Law Foundation Member, Board of Directors, 1996-Present
- President, 2002-2003
- Executive Committee, 2001-2004
· Member, California State Bar Association
- Executive Committee, Real Property Law Section Executive Committee, 1997-2003
- Chair, Financing Subsection Real Property Law Section, 1996-1997
- Executive Committee, Business Law Section Education Committee, 1993-1996
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Rotary International (San Jose)
· Member, CREW ( Silicon Valley)
· Member, NAIOP (Silicon Valley)
· Santa Clara County Bar Association
- Member, Business Law Section
- Chair, Executive Committee, Business Law Section
- Member, Real Property Law Section Executive Committee
- Member, Committee on Women Lawyers
- Representative, State Bar Conference of Delegates
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2009-2014
· Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010 and 2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Northern California Super Lawyers, 2005-2013
- "The Top 100," 2013
- "The Top 50 Women," 2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011-2012
· Listed, "Bar Register of Women Lawyers," Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers - Inaugural Edition, 2011
· Recipient, "Crystal Bowl Award," Silicon Valley Junior League, 2004
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Assisted Asyst Technologies, Inc. with the acquisition, financing and development of a 33-acre campus for manufacturing, research and development and office use.
· Represented Aviron, a vaccine development company, in a joint venture to lease and build a packaging facility in Philadelphia.
· Assisted Becton Dickinson and Company, a medical device company, sublease a jointly operated research laboratory in San Jose, California.
· Represented COR Therapeutics, Inc., a drug development company, in connection with its lease of a 300,000-square-office, research and development and manufacturing facility.
· Represented the County of Santa Clara, California in the acquisition of a long-term site (40 years) to house its Social Services Administration. This deal represented the largest leasing transaction in the county during 2001, and included the lease of two existing buildings as well a build-to-suit lease for an additional 170,000-square-feet.
· Represented Deuterium LLC, the principal investment group, in a deal to acquire approximately three acres in downtown Los Angeles' central district from 360 Networks, Inc., a telecom company then in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings. The buildings were the site of the former Robinson's Department Store, but had been redeveloped as a switching and collocation facility and parking garage prior to the telecom industry's downturn. The developers planned to reposition the property for mixed use by adding a residential component.
· Represented Kosan Biosciences during the assembly, acquisition and construction of leased office and laboratory space in Hayward, California.
· Assisted Nektar Therapeutics (formerly, Inhale Therapeutics) with a variety of transactions, including the sale of and lease-back financing of a 390,000-square-foot office/R&D/laboratory complex in San Carlos, California; partnership arrangements with a developer; build-to-suit lease; $48 million construction loan; and leasing and development of a 120,000-square-foot office and manufacturing facility.
· Beginning with the leasing of a single office in Mountain View, California, represented Netscape Communications in the planning, assembly and leasing of a 500,000-plus- square-foot office/R&D complex in Silicon Valley.
· Represented Nexus Development Company in the leasing of a four-acre site in Santa Clara, California and the financing and build-to-suit development of the headquarters for two Silicon Valley companies.
· Represented S3 Incorporated in the acquisition (by ground lease), financing and development of a 13-acre campus in Santa Clara, California.
· Assisted the San Francisco Giants with leasing of their retail "Dugout" stores.
· Represented Sierra West Properties during the acquisition and development of the International Trade and Transportation Center, a 1200-acre industrial part in Bakersfield, California and part of the Port of Los Angeles Free Trade Zone.
· Assisted Triad Therapeutics with the leasing and building of a new office and laboratory facility in San Diego, California, including leasing of primary space, subleasing of excess space, documentation of a laboratory space-sharing arrangement and disposition of former facility.
· Represented Wind River Systems in the lease financing of a $35 million facility provided by Deutsche Bank AG for the purchase of bay front real property and development of a campus headquarters.
· Represented the Bank of Nova Scotia in connection with a $70 million synthetic lease facility for Symantec, in which the funds were used to purchase land in Springfield, Oregon and Newport News, Virginia for development.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, "Negotiation of Mortgage Commitment and Loan Documents," Understanding the Sophisticated Real Estate Practice, PLI, 2003, 2004
· Author, "The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002: Prohibition on Personal Loans to Executives,"California Real Property Journal, Spring 2003
· Speaker and Moderator, "Financing and Leasing of Real Property and Equipment in the Wake of New Accounting Rules for Consolidations and Guarantees," Cooley Godward LLP, Palo Alto, CA, February 26, 2003
· Author, "Room to Renegotiate: What Can be Done About Those Awful Leases?" Cooley Godward, LLP, San Francisco and Palo Alto, CA, June 18 and 20, 2002
· Chairman and Co-Author, Joint Committee Real Property Law Section State Bar of California, Real Property Law Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association, "Report on Legal Opinions in California Real Estate Transactions," California Opinion Reports, State Bar of California, January 2002
· Author, "Synthetic vs. Leveraged Leasing Transactions for Real Estate Transactions," Latest Developments in Utilizing Synthetic and Leveraged Leasing for Off-Balance Sheet Financing, Structured Finance Institute, San Francisco, CA, December 10 & 11, 2001
· Author, "Leasing.com - Leasing to High Technology, Life Sciences and Emerging Growth Companies," State Bar Real Property Law Section Annual Retreat, La Jolla, CA, April 26, 2000