Tyrone advises boards, presidents, and other senior executives on terms for employment and consulting agreements. He counsels on best practices for compensation, benefits, and post-employment covenants for executive contracts of large nonprofit organizations. He has prepared numerous deferred compensation plans, performance incentive programs and separation agreements for health care systems, foundations, trade associations and universities. In the course of his practice, Tyrone has advised on executive employment arrangements involving over 150 academic institutions.
Tyrone provides compliance advice to boards on governance issues. In this component of his practice, he advises on managing conflict of interests and compliance with IRS regulations governing intermediate sanctions and Form 990 reporting. He has counseled on the development and implementation of affirmative action plans and related matters with OFCCP. He is a frequent speaker for various associations in higher education on the issue of executive compensation, including the American Council on Education, the National Association of College and University Attorneys, the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, and the Council of Independent Colleges.
Tyrone's expertise includes complex legal issues in athletics. In intercollegiate athletic matters his experience includes enforcement investigations, the infractions process, and appeals. Tyrone has conducted comprehensive investigations and successfully negotiated the reduction of various NCAA penalties assessed to universities, athletics personnel and student-athletes. In professional sports matters, he has advised teams on legal and league compliance issues.
Tyrone advises colleges on Title IX, employment contracts, and policies for athletics personnel. He is a nationally recognized expert on athletic matters and has served as a legal analyst for the New York Times, ESPN, The Chronicle of Higher Education, Sports Business Journal, University Business, and the Sports Litigation Alert.
In addition to his legal practice, Tyrone is Chair of the Mintz Levin Diversity Committee. In this role, he leads the Firm's initiatives promoting diversity in the legal profession.
Tyrone is a member of the bars of New York and the District of Columbia. He is also a member of the National Bar Association and the Sports Lawyers Association. He has an A.B. from Dartmouth College and a J.D. from Tulane University Law School.
• Alerts & Advisories
• Industry Reports & Newsletters
• Published Articles
• Speaking Engagements
• Press Releases
• In The News
• Summer Semester Checklist - Revisiting Your Coach's Contract , Sports Litigation Alert ( 06.27.2014 )
• Author, 1988 Ruling Casts a Shadow on Current NCAA Investigations , Law360 ( 12.19.2013 )
• Co-author, NCAA Win Will Impact Future Antitrust Claims against NCAA , Law360 ( 04.04.2013 )
• Co-author, NCAA Obtains a Vital Win on Antitrust Challenge of Athletic Aid Rules , Antitrust Advisory ( 03.26.2013 )
• Author, NCAA Medical Officer's Scope to Extend beyond Head Trauma , Sports Business Journal ( 02.11.2013 )
• Author, Protecting Home Field , University Business ( 11.01.2012 )
• Author, Hidden Problems within Sabbaticals and Other Professional Development Leave Programs , Labor and Employment Times ( 05.15.2012 )
• Co-author, Social Network Warning - Employers Should Use Caution in Disciplining Employees for On-line Statements , Employment, Labor & Benefits Alert ( 09.26.2011 )
• Author, State of New York Forms Task Force Targeting Excessive Compensation at Nonprofits , Employment, Labor & Benefits Advisory ( 09.09.2011 )
• Co-author, Non-Profit Organizations and Government Entities Prepare for New Regulations for Golden Handcuff Plans Under Section 457(f) of the Internal Revenue Code , Employment, Labor & Benefits Advisory ( 06.15.2011 )
• Author, Privacy Implications of Employment Background Checks: U.S. Supreme Court Rules for Employers , Employment, Labor & Benefits Alert ( 01.26.2011 )
• Speaker, Presidential Contracts, Executive Leadership Academy , American Academic Leadership Institute, Washington, DC (07.21.2014)
• Speaker, Conducting Successful Presidential Searches: Key Legal and Practical Strategies for Counsel and Boards, 2014 NACUA Annual Conference , The National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), Denver, CO (06.23.2014)
• Speaker, Executive Contracts, Millennium Leadership Initiative (MLI) Institute , American Association of State Colleges and Universities, Washington, DC (06.09.2014)
• Speaker, Negotiating Presidential and Senior Leader Contracts, Spectrum Executive Leadership Program , American Council on Education (ACE), Orlando, FL (04.02.2014)
• Speaker, Negotiation Strategies for Managing Executive Compensation , The National Association of Health Service Executives - Washington Metropolitan Area Chapter, Washington, DC (01.23.2014)
• Speaker, Reaching an Agreement: Negotiating Your Contract, 81st National Women's Leadership Forum , American Council on Education (ACE), Arlington, VA (06.19.2013)
• Speaker, Executive Contracts: Basics and Trends, Millennium Leadership Initiative (MLI) Institute , American Association of State Colleges and Universities, Washington, DC (06.10.2013)
• Speaker, Presidential Contracts, Executive Leadership Academy Seminar Conference Call , American Association of State Colleges and Universities, American Academic Leadership Institute, and The Council of Independent Colleges, Webinar (05.21.2013)
• Speaker, Improving Your Form 990 - Best Practices in Reporting Executive Compensation for Non-Profit Entities , National Bar Association, Webinar (02.11.2013)
• Speaker, Presidential Contracts: End-of-Term Considerations, 2013 Presidents Institute , The Council of Independent Colleges (CIC), Palm Harbor, FL (01.05.2013)
• Speaker, Reaching an Agreement: Negotiating Your Contract, National Women's Leadership Forum , American Council on Education (ACE), Arlington, VA (12.05.2012)
• Speaker, Reaching an Agreement: Negotiating Your Contract, National Women's Leadership Forum , American Council on Education (ACE), Washington, DC (06.20.2012)
• Speaker, Issues in Negotiating the Executive Contract, OWHE National Leadership Forum , Office of Women in Higher Education, Washington, DC (06.22.2011)