V. John Ella is a Shareholder in the Minneapolis office of Jackson Lewis P.C. He practices in all aspects of employment law and advises clients in the areas of employment contracts, handbooks, sexual harassment claims, discrimination, trade secret and noncompete litigation, drug testing law, plant closings, ERISA benefits litigation, wage and hour compliance, privacy law, commission claims, defamation, whistleblower and Sarbanes-Oxley claims as well as closely-held corporation and partnership disputes.
Mr. Ella has obtained successful verdicts as first chair counsel at trial, including jury trials and court trials in both federal and state district court and has appeared before the Minnesota Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit Court of Appeals and Federal Circuit Court of Appeals. He was named by Minnesota Law & Politics as a "Top 40" Employment Law Attorney in Minnesota for 2006 and 2007 and has been recognized as a "Super Lawyer" in Minnesota since 2002.
Mr. Ella is the author of over eighty articles or book chapters for various legal publications. He frequently lectures on the topic of Common Law Fraud and was co-author of the Summary Guide to Fraud, Misrepresentation and Deceptive Trade Practices. Mr. Ella is also a recognized speaker and commentator on the topic of "Executive Law" and has been quoted in dozens of newspaper and magazine articles regarding stock options, executive compensation, noncompetes, restrictive covenants and executive severance agreements and has lectured at several CLEs on the topic of Executive Law.
Mr. Ella is certified by the Minnesota State Bar Association as a Labor and Employment Law Specialist. He is also certified as an Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
The ADA Handbook.
(Chapter 11, "Defense Side - Tips and Strategies for Litigation")© 2013 Minnesota State Bar Association [Co-Author]
Summary Guide to Filing and Responding to EEO Charges of Discrimination in Minnesota.
MN: Minnesota State Bar Association - CLE, 2008. [Co-Author]
Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Trade Practice Regulation in Minnesota.
MN: 2007. [Contributing Author]
Summary Guide to Fraud, Misrepresentation and Deceptive Trade Practices. 2nd ed.
MN: Minnesota State Bar Association - CLE, 2004. [Co-Author]
For the Record: 150 Year of Law and Lawyers in Minnesota.
MN: 1999. [Contributing Author]
"Lessons in EEOC: Priorities and Tactics from EEOC v. Van Expedited"
Iowa Lawyer (September 2012)
"Workplace Defamation Claims in Minnesota"
Bench & Bar (August 2012)
"HR v. HR - Relationships get awkward fast with an HR Plaintiff"
HR Magazine (September 2010)
"Employment Practices Liability Insurance Comes of Age"
Hennepin Lawyer (September 2010)
"We've entered the age of the whistleblower"
Star Tribune Business Forum (August 9, 2009)
"Federal Court Tackles NFL Drug Testing Program"
Sports Litigation Alert 7.1 (January 2010) [Co-Author]
"Now's the Time to Review your Noncompetes"
Star Tribune Business Forum (September 2009) [Author]
"Frost/Nixon offers a few Deposition tips for Lawyers"
Minnesota Lawyer (August 2009) [Author]
"State Should Reform Drug Testing Law"
Minneapolis Star Tribune Business Forum (July 20, 2009) [Author]
"Employment Law by the Numbers"
Minnesota Lawyer (June 1, 2009) [Author]
"Diagnosing Employment Law Issues in the Health Care Industry"
Hennepin Lawyer (May 2009) [Author]
"Charge! A Look at Federal, State, and Local Discrimination Charges in Minnesota"
Hennepin Lawyer (April 2008) [Co-Author]
"What Do They Have in Mind? Minnesota's Drug -Testing Law Turns 20"
Minnesota Bench & Bar (Sept 2007) [Author]
"Responding to Employee Embezzlement"
Employment Law 360 (May 30, 2007) [Author]
"Common Law Fraud Claims: A Critical Tool for Litigators"
Bench & Bar (Sept 2006) [Author]
"Golden Parachutes to Golden Handcuffs: An Executive Law Glossary"
Twin Cities Business Journal (5/19/2006) [Author]
"Employment Law "No-Brainers""
Twin Cities Business Journal (11/14/2005) [Author]
"No Longer Commission Impossible - Bonus Claims Get Boost"
Hennepin Lawyer (July-August 2005) [Author]
"Pay for Peformance" (Book Review)
Minneapolis Star Tribune (1/10/2005) [Author]
"Tips for Federal Court III"
Bench and Bar (December 2004) [Co-Author]
"Anatomy of an Answer"
Hennepin Lawyer (July/August 2004) [Author]
"Bad Faith Trumps Minnesota Nice When it Comes to Stock Options"
Hennepin Lawyer (May/June 2004) [Author]
"The Firm of the Future" (Book Review)
Federal Lawyer (May 2004) [Author]
"Reviewing SEC Disclosures Can Yield Dividends"
Minnesota Lawyer (3/25/2002) [Author]
Minneapolis Star Tribune (11/5/2001) [Author]
"Legal Issues are on the Menu for Restaurant Owners"
Law Watch (Spring 2001) [Author]
"When The Green Card gets the Pink Slip"
Minnesota Lawyer (1/12/2001) [Author]
"Be a Tender Sender: Tender Claims for Insurance Coverage"
American Bar Association: The Young Lawyer (October 2000) [Author]
"Clerking Outstate: Northern Exposure, Minnesota Style"
Minnesota Lawyer (7/31/2000) [Author]
"More Tips for Litigation in Federal Court"
Bench & Bar (May/June 2000) [Co-Author]
"Test Your Knowledge of Federal Legislation"
Federal Lawyer (January 2000) [Author]
"17 Steps to Protect Your Trade Secrets"
You and the LAW 30.1 (January 2000) [Co-Author]
"A Stock Options Primer for the Employment Law Attorney"
Hennepin Lawyer (June 1999) [Author]
"Qui Tam Lawsuits Increasing"
Law Watch (Winter 1998) [Co-Author]
"Front Pay Damages in Eighth Circuit Employment Law Cases"
Minnesota Lawyer (August 1998) [Author]
"Settlement Negotiations - They're Not that Confidential"
Bench & Bar (April 1998) [Co-Author]
"Tips for Litigation in Federal Court"
Bench & Bar (March 1997) [Co-Author]
"Lawyers Make the Best Lawmakers"
Minneapolis Star Tribune (8/10/1996) [Author]
"Minnesota Legal Terms - A Quiz"
Minnesota Journal of Law & Politics (November 1995) [Author]
"The Visegrad Countries of Central Europe: Integration or Isolation?"
Minnesota Journal of Global Trade 2.1 (Summer 1993) [Co-Author]
Honors, Awards and Pro Bono Activity
· Appointed to Minnesota Board of Medical Practice 2010
· "Top 40" Employment Law Attorney - Minnesota Law and Politics
2006, 2007, and 2008
· "Super Lawyer" - Minnesota Law and Politics
2002 - 2012
· "Rising Star" - Minnesota Law and Politics
2001 & 2002
· Commisioner, Robbinsdale Human Rights Commission
2006 - 2007
· Legal Writing Instructor, University of Minnesota Law School
1999-2000 & 2000-2001
· Board of Directors, University of Minnesota Student Legal Services
· Board of Directors, Legal Marketing Association, Minnesota Chapter
· Board of Directors, Willmar Hispanic Alliance
· Law Clerk, Judge Carol B. Amon, Eastern District of New York
· Law Clerk, Judge William E. Kalar, Ninth Judicial District of Minnesota
· AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
· Member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
· Workplace Defamation and Tortious Interference, Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, May 22, 2012
· Iowa Breakfast Series - 12 Tips for 2012, Des Moines, Iowa, April 19, 2012.
· March Madness - Minnesota Marital Status Claims, Minnesota State Bar Association, March 21, 2012.
· Drafting Bonus and Commission Plans and Litigating Wage Claims in Minnesota - Hennepin County Bar Association, February 7, 2012
· "Linked in or Left Out? - The Collision of Social Media and Employment Law" Jackson Lewis Breakfast Series, April 14, 2011 (Des Moines, Iowa) and October 27, 2011 (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
· Employee Documentation, Discipline & Discharge, National Business Institute, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, August 31, 2011
· Midwest Madness - Employment Laws of Neighbouring States, Minnesota CLE - Midwest Employment Law Institute, May 23, 2011.
· "Defamation and Tortious Interference Claims - Recent Developments" - Hennepin County Bar Association, Feb. 1, 2011
· "Up in Smoke - Is Complying with Minnesota Drug Testing Laws a Pipe Dream?" Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM), Annual State Conference, Duluth, Minnesota, October 12, 2010.
· "Legal Update for Recruiters," U.S. Recruiting Network, National Conference, October 1, 2010
· "Linked in or Left Out? - The Collision of Social Media and Employment Law" Jackson Lewis Breakfast Series, September 23, 2010.
· The Minneapolis EEOC Area Office - an Update on What is New at the EEOC Locally - Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, May 24, 2010.
· ERISA Litigation Update, Hennepin County Bar Association October 6, 2009
· Midwest Madness - Highlights of Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minn. CLE, August 19, 2009
· Midwest Madness - Employment Laws of Neighbouring States, Minnesota CLE - Midwest Employment Law Institute, May 30, 2009.
· Common Law Fraud (May 1, 2009) - Minnesota CLE
· Top Evidentiary Issues in Employment Law Litigation" - Hennepin County Bar Association, Section on Labor & Employment Law, December 2, 2008
· Filing and Responding to Charges: Agency Insights and Hot Topics, Minnesota CLE - Midwest Employment Law Institute, May 30, 2008.
· "Employment Practices Liability Insurance: What Every Employment Lawyer Needs to Know" Minnesota CLE, May 21, 2008
· "Blogging and Employment Law," Minnesota CLE, April 15, 2008
· "DATWA Turns Twenty - A look back at Minnesota's Drug and Alcohol Testing in the Workplace Act twenty years after enactment," Hennepin County Bar Association, Section on Labor & Employment Law, September 18, 2007
· "Age Discrimination Update", Minnesota CLE - Midwest Employment Law Institute, May 30, 2007.
· "Common Law Fraud," Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Trade Practices Regulation in Minnesota, Minnesota CLE, May 9, 2007
· Planning Committee Member and Speaker on "Special Issues Involving Executives at Publicly Traded Companies" and "Noncompetes, Restrictive Covenants & Trade Secrets" at "Advanced Executive (and Key Employee) Law" Minnesota CLE, February 7, 2007.
· "The Lurking Menace of Duty of Loyalty Claims" - Hennepin County Bar Association, Section on Labor & Employment Law, November 15, 2005
· "Noncompete Agreements in the Great Lakes Region," Lawyers Associated Worldwide - Great Lakes Sub Regional Meeting, March 10, 2006
· "Executive Law", Business Law Institute, Minnesota CLE, April 19, 2005
· Program Chair, "Fraud, Misrepresentation and Deceptive Trade Practices", and speaker, "Common Law Fraud", Minnesota CLE, March 11, 2005
· "Law of the Executive", Annual Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minnesota CLE, May 26, 2004
· Program Chair, "Fraud, Misrepresentation and Deceptive Trade Practices", and speaker, "Common Law Fraud", Minnesota CLE, August 15, 2002
· "The WARN Act", Reductions in Force, Minnesota Institute of Legal Education (MILE) Feb 14, 2002
· "Legal Writing Should Not Be A Crime", Minnesota Institute of Legal Education (MILE) October 20, 2000.
· "Legal Issues Concerning Employee Stock Options", Greater Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce, Nov. 15, 2000.
· "Opening and Closing Battles: Preemption, Removal, Remand and Fee Awards Under ERISA", ERISA Litigation Institute, Minnesota Institute of Legal Education (MILE) April 12, 2000.
· "Trade Secrets 2000: An Introduction to Trade Secrets," Non-competes and Confidentiality Agreements?," Trade Secrets -- Protection from Industrial Espionage, (MILE) Jan. 13, 2000.
· "When is A Plan Under "Serious Consideration?" ERISA Litigation Institute, Minnesota Institute of Legal Education (MILE) Feb. 25, 1999
· "An Overview of Trade Secrets, Confidentiality Agreements, and Covenants not to Compete", Minnesota Institute of Legal Education (MILE), Jan. 26, 1999
· "Non-Competes and Trade Secrets: Protecting Personnel & Ideas in a High-Tech Society", National Practice Institute (M.P.I.) Law & Technology Show, Sept. 1, 1998
· "Understanding the Nature of Trade Secrets", Successful Trade Secret Protection and Enforcement Strategies, Minnesota Institute of Legal Education (MILE), May 14, 1998
· "A Litigator Looks at Trade Secrets, Covenants Not to Compete and Confidentiality Agreements", Trade Secrets, Minnesota Institute of Legal Education (MILE), Jan. 27, 1998
NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC
The determination of the need for legal services and the choice of a lawyer are extremely important decisions and should not be based solely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise. This disclosure is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Iowa. Memberships and offices in legal fraternities and legal societies, technical and professional licenses, and memberships in scientific, technical and professional associations and societies of law or field of practice does not mean that a lawyer is a specialist or expert in a field of law, nor does it mean that such lawyer is necessarily any more expert or competent than any other lawyer. All potential clients are urged to make their own independent investigation and evaluation of any lawyer being considered. This notice is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Iowa.
Bar & Professional Association Memberships
American Bar Association
Hennepin County Bar Association
Iowa State Bar Association
Minnesota State Bar Association