Warren Karp represents national and international clients on diverse retail, real estate and commercial business matters. Warren's clients include national and international retailers, developers, property owners, banks and financial institutions and municipalities. He serves as co-managing shareholder of Greenberg Traurig's New York office and chairperson of the firm's Retail Industry Group recognized by Chambers USA as a first tier practice area from 2007-2013.
Areas of Concentration
· Retail industry
- Leases, real estate transactions and development
- Logistics, distribution and supply chain, and warehouse services agreements
- License agreements
- Consignment agreements
- Diverse retail operational agreements
· Real estate acquisitions, dispositions, development and restructuring
· Office, commercial, industrial and warehouse leases
· Municipal and governmental leases and development projects
· Bankruptcy real estate transactions
· Brownfield acquisitions and redevelopment
· Retail and commercial condominiums
· Business and commercial law
Professional & Community Involvement
· American Bar Foundation (Fellow)
· Member, New York and Pennsylvania Bar Associations
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, International Bar Association
· Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
· Member, Advisory Board, Georgetown University Law Center Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute
· Member, Real Estate Board of New York
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2012-2014
· Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010 and 2013
· Mentioned, Chambers USA Guide, 2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Super Lawyers, 2006-2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011 and 2012
· Listed, AVENUE magazine "Legal Elite," Real Estate, April 2011
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, National - Real Estate Law, 2009-2010
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Representation of a prominent, international luxury goods retailer in connection with its real estate leases and its expanded distribution, supply chain and logistics services programs in the United States, Europe, Asia, and South America.
· Representation of big box retailers in the acquisition, development and ground leasing of retail stores and warehouse facilities.
· Representation of an international luxury food manufacturer and retailer in connection with its expanded distribution, supply chain and logistics services programs in North America and Asia.
· Representation of landlords negotiating retail leases, reciprocal easement agreements and development agreements and easements.
· Representation of a bank acquired from the FDIC in connection with the disposition and restructuring of its extensive real estate portfolio.
· Representation of financial institutions in the acquisition, development and leasing of branch locations and offices.
· Representation of clients in connection with real estate due diligence on bids to acquire operating businesses with significant real estate assets.
· Representation of developers and retailers in connection with the acquisition, leasing, and development of Brownfield sites.
· Representation of a commercial cooperative in its relationship with the City of New York, including the negotiation of its lease, grants and funding agreements with the New York City Economic Development Authority and the Bronx Overall Economic Development Authority.
· Representation of a client to acquire a Brownfield industrial site through a structured, competitive bankruptcy court bid, structuring the redevelopment of the site as a retail condominium to create added value and facilitate the rapid redevelopment of the property, and structuring and negotiating a bonded lease with the anchor tenant.
· Representation of a client on the real estate components of the acquisition of assets of the estate of Elvis Presley.
· Representation of a municipality settling a complex litigation and structuring agreements for the development of a former municipal landfill for use as a mixed-use residential, retail and entertainment project.
· Representation of a municipality in structuring a design-build municipal parking facility, including a sale/leaseback transaction with the developer.
· Representation of a client disposing of over 200 real estate leases and fee properties during its bankruptcy liquidation generating in excess of $380 million for the bankruptcy estate.
· Representation of a client in a complex multi-party exchange and development project including property assemblages, exchanges and development agreements with city agencies for construction of a major downtown retail redevelopment project.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Conducted various seminars for the International Council of Shopping Centers, including at the annual ICSC U.S. Law Conference