Weldon H. Latham is a Principal in the Washington, D.C. Region office of Jackson Lewis P.C. He also is Chair of the firm's Corporate Diversity Counseling Practice Group.
Mr. Latham represents Fortune 200 companies, major government agencies, and other complex organizations in a variety of legal matters, including crisis management, corporate diversity counseling, employment law, and government relations.
Mr. Latham advises clients in crisis management and diversity representation, complex civil rights reviews and employment law audits, as well as dispute resolution, investigations and defends class action lawsuits involving allegations of race, gender, and age discrimination and harassment law. He also directs confidential litigation assessments, corporate diversity compliance reviews, internal legal vulnerability assessments, and assists clients in developing best practice, benchmarking, and diversity enhancement action plans.
Mr. Latham has over 20 years of senior partner level direction of major crisis management, civil rights program reviews, and employment discrimination litigation. Mr. Latham has a distinguished record of public service. He is a member of the Board of Maryland Stadium Authority and has served as Assistant General Counsel, White House Office of Management and Budget; General Deputy Assistant Secretary, Department of Housing and Urban Development; Captain, Secretary of the Air Force, General Counsel's Honors Program; member of the Defense Department Advisory Committee on Procurement and Technical Data Rights; Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army; member of the U.S. Small Business Administration National Advisory Council; and served on the Board of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, as Chair of the Legal Committee, for more than a decade.
Mr. Latham is a columnist for DiversityInc and previously Minority Business Entrepreneur magazines. In recent years, he has discussed diversity, civil rights and political issues on ABC News Nightline, CNBC Power Lunch, Bloomberg Business News, Court TV, The Washington Post, and other national media. He also serves as a keynote speaker to Boards of Directors, CEOs, and executive management teams of major corporations, as well as business and trade associations on the subject of diversity and inclusion as a “business imperative, ” “competitive advantage, ” “legal vulnerability, ” and the Washington political scene.
Among his numerous professional and community activities, Mr. Latham serves as Counsel to the PepsiCo Global Diversity and Inclusion Governance Council and the Omnicom Group Diversity Advisory Committee; a member of the National Employment Law Council, and the Economic Club of Washington. He was previously the National Co-Chair, Hillary Clinton Presidential Campaign, and Chair, Deloitte External Diversity Advisory Board and Secretary, Greater Washington Board of Trade.
Mr. Latham is an Adjunct Professor of Law at the Georgetown University Law Center, and a former Guest Professor at both the University of Virginia and Howard University Schools of Law. He also served on the Board of Trustees (Visitors) of the American University, Virginia Commonwealth University, and George Mason University.
Honors and Recognitions
•AMTRAK A. Philip Randolph Leadership Award
•Howard University Distinguished Alumni for Post Graduate Achievement in the Field of Law
•National Black MBA Association Ronald H. Brown Service Award
•Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network Excellence Award
•Rev. Jesse L. Jackson's Rainbow PUSH Coalition Martin Luther King Leadership Award
•Savoy Magazine, Most Influential Black Lawyer
•Small Business Administration Private Industry Advocate of the Year Award
•SmartCEO Magazine, Legal Elite of Washington, D.C.
•Washington Bar Association Hall of Fame Award
•Who's Who Among African Americans
•Who's Who In America
•Who's Who In American Law
• Another look at diversity, Automotive News (July 2013)
• GM goal: 25 more minority stores, Automotive News (July 2013)
• NBC News/WSJ poll: Affirmative action support at historic low, NBCNews FirstRead (June 2013)
• Supreme Court Reaffirms Affirmative Action in Public University Setting Requires Strict Scrutiny, Jacksonlewis.com (June 2013) [Author]
• It's a Systemic World Out There, Corporate Counsel (April 2013) [Co-Author]
• Business Risks That Keep CEOs Up at Night: Effective Diversity Programs Can Ease Some Tensions, Bloomberg BNA (January 11, 2013) [Author]
• Workplace Diversity Programs: Debunking 3 Myths, Bloomberg Law Reports (August 2010) [Author]
• Retaliation Claims Rising, DiversityInc (June 2010) [Author]
• Is Affirmative Action on Life Support? DiversityInc (February 2010) [Author]
• Is Your Company Accommodating? DiversityInc (November 2009) [Author]
• ADA: Proposed Protections for Employees With Disabilities, DiversityInc (September 2009) [Author]
• Layoffs Require Careful Analysis, GC New England (September 2009) [Author]
• Supplier Diversity Is Good for Business, Minorities and Women in Business (Jan 2006) [Author]
• When Bad Things Happen to Good Companies, Diversity Journal (October 2005) [Author]
• Women and the Workforce, Profiles inDiversity Journal (December 2003) [Author]
• Downsizing Workforce Without Downsizing Diversity, Profiles in Diversity (October 2003) [Author]
• University of Michigan - Supreme Court Case, Profiles in Diversity Journal (August 2003) [Author]
In the News
July 12, 2016
WILEF Awards Jackson Lewis Gold Standard Certification
July 12, 2016
WHITE PLAINS, NY (July 12, 2016) Jackson Lewis P.C., one of the country's preeminent workplace law firms, is pleased to announce it has again earned a Gold Standard Certification from the Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF), a designation awarded to firms who have successfully demonstrated that women represent a meaningful...
June 24, 2016
Jackson Lewis Publishes Q4 Diversity Committee Newsletter
June 24, 2016
While our firm Chairman Vincent Cino (MOR) always says “Jackson Lewis needs to do better...” I am pleased to report that Jackson Lewis ranked 2nd in Law360's list of the “Top 10 Biglaw Firms for Female Attorneys” and 18th in the publication's list of the “100 Best Law Firms for Female...
June 16, 2016
Jackson Lewis Earns Top-Tier Ranking in 2016 Legal 500
June 16, 2016
WHITE PLAINS, NY (June 16, 2016) Jackson Lewis P.C., one of the country's preeminent workplace law firms, has been recommended as a Top-Tier Firm in the Labor and Employment - Labor-Management Relations category in the 2016 edition of The Legal 500 United States. The firm was also recommended in the Immigration, Labor...