Weldon H. Latham is a Shareholder in the Washington, D.C. Region office of Jackson Lewis P.C. He also leads the firm's Corporate Diversity Counseling Practice Group.
Mr. Latham represents Fortune 200 companies, major government agencies, and other complex organizations in a variety of legal matters, including crisis management, corporate diversity counseling, employment law, and government relations.
Mr. Latham advises clients in crisis management and diversity representation, complex civil rights reviews and employment law audits, as well as dispute resolution, investigations and defends class action lawsuits involving allegations of race, gender, and age discrimination and harassment law. He also directs confidential litigation assessments, corporate diversity compliance reviews, internal legal vulnerability assessments, and assists clients in developing best practice, benchmarking, and diversity enhancement action plans.
Mr. Latham has over 20 years of senior partner level direction of major crisis management, civil rights program reviews, and employment discrimination litigation. Mr. Latham has a distinguished record of public service. He is a member of the Board of Maryland Stadium Authority and has served as Assistant General Counsel, White House Office of Management and Budget; General Deputy Assistant Secretary, Department of Housing and Urban Development; Captain, Secretary of the Air Force, General Counsel's Honors Program; member of the Defense Department Advisory Committee on Procurement and Technical Data Rights; Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army; member of the U.S. Small Business Administration National Advisory Council; and served on the Board of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, as Chair of the Legal Committee, for more than a decade.
Mr. Latham is a columnist for DiversityInc and previously Minority Business Entrepreneur magazines. In recent years, he has discussed diversity, civil rights and political issues on ABC News Nightline, CNBC Power Lunch, Bloomberg Business News, Court TV, The Washington Post, and other national media. He also serves as a keynote speaker to Boards of Directors, CEOs, and executive management teams of major corporations, as well as business and trade associations on the subject of diversity and inclusion as a “business imperative,” “competitive advantage,” “legal vulnerability,” and the Washington political scene.
Among his numerous professional and community activities, Mr. Latham serves as Counsel to the PepsiCo Global Diversity and Inclusion Governance Council and the Omnicom Group Diversity Advisory Committee; a member of the National Employment Law Council, and the Economic Club of Washington. He was previously the National Co-Chair, Hillary Clinton Presidential Campaign, and Chair, Deloitte External Diversity Advisory Board and Secretary, Greater Washington Board of Trade.
Mr. Latham is an Adjunct Professor of Law at the Georgetown University Law Center, and a former Guest Professor at both the University of Virginia and Howard University Schools of Law. He also served on the Board of Trustees (Visitors) of the American University, Virginia Commonwealth University, and George Mason University.
Honors and Recognitions
•Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network Excellence Award
•Howard University Distinguished Alumni for Post Graduate Achievement in the Field of Law
•National Black MBA Association Ronald H. Brown Service Award
•AMTRAK A. Philip Randolph Leadership Award
•Rev. Jesse L. Jackson's Rainbow PUSH Coalition Martin Luther King Leadership Award
•Small Business Administration Private Industry Advocate of the Year Award
•SmartCEO Magazine, Legal Elite of Washington, D.C.
•Washington Bar Association Hall of Fame Award
•Who's Who In America
•Who's Who In American Law
•Who's Who Among African Americans Weldon H.
• Another look at diversity, Automotive News (July 2013)
• GM goal: 25 more minority stores, Automotive News (July 2013)
• NBC News/WSJ poll: Affirmative action support at historic low, NBCNews FirstRead (June 2013)
• Supreme Court Reaffirms Affirmative Action in Public University Setting Requires Strict Scrutiny, Jacksonlewis.com (June 2013) [Author]
• Its a Systemic World Out There, Corporate Counsel (April 2013) [Co-Author]
• Business Risks That Keep CEOs Up at Night: Effective Diversity Programs Can Ease Some Tensions, Bloomberg BNA (January 11, 2013) [Author]
• Workplace Diversity Programs: Debunking 3 Myths, Bloomberg Law Reports (August 2010) [Author]
• Retaliation Claims Rising, DiversityInc (June 2010) [Author]
• Is Affirmative Action on Life Support? DiversityInc (February 2010) [Author]
• Is Your Company Accommodating? DiversityInc (November 2009) [Author]
• ADA: Proposed Protections for Employees With Disabilities, DiversityInc (September 2009) [Author]
• Layoffs Require Careful Analysis, GC New England (September 2009) [Author]
• Supplier Diversity Is Good for Business, Minorities and Women in Business (Jan 2006) [Author]
• When Bad Things Happen to Good Companies, Diversity Journal (October 2005) [Author]
• Women and the Workforce, Profiles inDiversity Journal (December 2003) [Author]
• Downsizing Workforce Without Downsizing Diversity, Profiles in Diversity (October 2003) [Author]
• University of Michigan - Supreme Court Case, Profiles in Diversity Journal (August 2003) [Author]
June 28, 2013
Supreme Court Reaffirms Affirmative Action in Public University Setting Requires Strict Scrutiny
June 28, 2013
The United States Supreme Court's long-awaited decision in Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin, No. 345, 570 U.S. ___ (2013), has arrived without the massive change to affirmative action law that many commentators predicted, but may have increased the burden on affirmative action proponents in public higher education. Since...
In the News
June 25, 2015 Jackson Lewis
Jackson Lewis Recognized as a Gold Standard Firm
June 25, 2015
WHITE PLAINS, NY (June 25, 2015) Jackson Lewis P.C., one of the country's preeminent workplace law firms, is pleased to announce the firm has been certified as a “Gold Standard Firm” by the Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF) for the fourth consecutive year. Law firms must successfully demonstrate that...
June 9, 2015 Jackson Lewis
Jackson Lewis Recommended in The Legal 500 United States 2015
June 9, 2015
WHITE PLAINS, NY (June 9, 2015) Jackson Lewis P.C., one of the country's largest and fastest-growing workplace law firms, is pleased to announce the firm and its attorneys have been recommended in The Legal 500 United States 2015 in the following practice areas falling under the Labor and Employment designation:...
March 19, 2015 Jackson Lewis
Weldon Latham Named to Savoy's 2015 Most Influential Black Lawyers List
March 19, 2015
WASHINGTON, D.C. (March 19, 2015) Jackson Lewis P.C., one of the country's largest and fastest-growing workplace law firms, is pleased to announce Weldon H. Latham, Washington, D.C. Region Shareholder and Chair, Corporate Diversity Counseling Group, has been named to Savoy Magazine's “2015 Most Influential Black Lawyers...