Weldon H. Latham is a Principal in the Washington, D.C. Region office of Jackson Lewis P.C. He also leads the firm's Corporate Diversity Counseling Practice Group.
Mr. Latham represents Fortune 200 companies, major government agencies, and other complex organizations in a variety of legal matters, including crisis management, corporate diversity counseling, employment law, and government relations.
Mr. Latham advises clients in crisis management and diversity representation, complex civil rights reviews and employment law audits, as well as dispute resolution, investigations and defends class action lawsuits involving allegations of race, gender, and age discrimination and harassment law. He also directs confidential litigation assessments, corporate diversity compliance reviews, internal legal vulnerability assessments, and assists clients in developing best practice, benchmarking, and diversity enhancement action plans.
Mr. Latham has over 20 years of senior partner level direction of major crisis management, civil rights program reviews, and employment discrimination litigation. Mr. Latham has a distinguished record of public service. He is a member of the Board of Maryland Stadium Authority and has served as Assistant General Counsel, White House Office of Management and Budget; General Deputy Assistant Secretary, Department of Housing and Urban Development; Captain, Secretary of the Air Force, General Counsel's Honors Program; member of the Defense Department Advisory Committee on Procurement and Technical Data Rights; Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army; member of the U.S. Small Business Administration National Advisory Council; and served on the Board of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, as Chair of the Legal Committee, for more than a decade.
Mr. Latham is a columnist for DiversityInc and previously Minority Business Entrepreneur magazines. In recent years, he has discussed diversity, civil rights and political issues on ABC News Nightline, CNBC Power Lunch, Bloomberg Business News, Court TV, The Washington Post, and other national media. He also serves as a keynote speaker to Boards of Directors, CEOs, and executive management teams of major corporations, as well as business and trade associations on the subject of diversity and inclusion as a “business imperative, ” “competitive advantage, ” “legal vulnerability, ” and the Washington political scene.
Among his numerous professional and community activities, Mr. Latham serves as Counsel to the PepsiCo Global Diversity and Inclusion Governance Council and the Omnicom Group Diversity Advisory Committee; a member of the National Employment Law Council, and the Economic Club of Washington. He was previously the National Co-Chair, Hillary Clinton Presidential Campaign, and Chair, Deloitte External Diversity Advisory Board and Secretary, Greater Washington Board of Trade.
Mr. Latham is an Adjunct Professor of Law at the Georgetown University Law Center, and a former Guest Professor at both the University of Virginia and Howard University Schools of Law. He also served on the Board of Trustees (Visitors) of the American University, Virginia Commonwealth University, and George Mason University.
Honors and Recognitions
•Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network Excellence Award
•Howard University Distinguished Alumni for Post Graduate Achievement in the Field of Law
•National Black MBA Association Ronald H. Brown Service Award
•AMTRAK A. Philip Randolph Leadership Award
•Rev. Jesse L. Jackson's Rainbow PUSH Coalition Martin Luther King Leadership Award
•Small Business Administration Private Industry Advocate of the Year Award
•SmartCEO Magazine, Legal Elite of Washington, D.C.
•Washington Bar Association Hall of Fame Award
•Who's Who In America
•Who's Who In American Law
•Who's Who Among African Americans
• Another look at diversity, Automotive News (July 2013)
• GM goal: 25 more minority stores, Automotive News (July 2013)
• NBC News/WSJ poll: Affirmative action support at historic low, NBCNews FirstRead (June 2013)
• Supreme Court Reaffirms Affirmative Action in Public University Setting Requires Strict Scrutiny, Jacksonlewis.com (June 2013) [Author]
• It's a Systemic World Out There, Corporate Counsel (April 2013) [Co-Author]
• Business Risks That Keep CEOs Up at Night: Effective Diversity Programs Can Ease Some Tensions, Bloomberg BNA (January 11, 2013) [Author]
• Workplace Diversity Programs: Debunking 3 Myths, Bloomberg Law Reports (August 2010) [Author]
• Retaliation Claims Rising, DiversityInc (June 2010) [Author]
• Is Affirmative Action on Life Support? DiversityInc (February 2010) [Author]
• Is Your Company Accommodating? DiversityInc (November 2009) [Author]
• ADA: Proposed Protections for Employees With Disabilities, DiversityInc (September 2009) [Author]
• Layoffs Require Careful Analysis, GC New England (September 2009) [Author]
• Supplier Diversity Is Good for Business, Minorities and Women in Business (Jan 2006) [Author]
• When Bad Things Happen to Good Companies, Diversity Journal (October 2005) [Author]
• Women and the Workforce, Profiles inDiversity Journal (December 2003) [Author]
• Downsizing Workforce Without Downsizing Diversity, Profiles in Diversity (October 2003) [Author]
• University of Michigan - Supreme Court Case, Profiles in Diversity Journal (August 2003) [Author]
June 28, 2013
Supreme Court Reaffirms Affirmative Action in Public University Setting Requires Strict Scrutiny
June 28, 2013
The United States Supreme Court's long-awaited decision in Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin, No. 345, 570 U.S. ___ (2013), has arrived without the massive change to affirmative action law that many commentators predicted, but may have increased the burden on affirmative action proponents in public higher education. Since...
In the News
April 22, 2016
Jackson Lewis Named A Top BigLaw Firm for Female Attorneys
April 22, 2016
WHITE PLAINS, NY (April 22, 2016) Jackson Lewis P.C., one of the country's preeminent workplace law firms, is pleased to announce the firm ranked 2nd in Law 360's list of the “Top 10 Biglaw Firms for Female Attorneys” and 18th in the publication's list of the “100 Best Law Firms for Female Attorneys,...
January 4, 2016
Jackson Lewis Publishes Q4 Diversity Committee Newsletter
January 4, 2016
Please enjoy our Diversity Committee Newsletter for the fourth quarter of 2015. A best practice of our firm, it includes personal, diversity-focused messages from our Diversity Committee Chair and Diversity Committee Manager, and highlights diverse attorney promotions, diversity-related activities, sponsorships and events the firm...
November 20, 2015
Jackson Lewis Publishes Q3 Diversity Committee Newsletter
November 20, 2015
Please enjoy our Diversity Committee Newsletter for the third quarter of 2015. A best practice of our firm, it includes personal, diversity-focused messages from our Diversity Committee Chair and Diversity Committee Manager, and highlights diverse attorney promotions, diversity-related activities, sponsorships and events the firm has...
Higher Education Law Summit: Hot Topics for Colleges and Universities
When June 8, 2016 - 8:30 AM to 5:15 PM EST
Location 700 W. Washington Street - Indianapolis, IN
Credits: CLE - 7.0, HRCI - 7.0, SHRM - 7.0