Practice/Industry Group Overview
For many years, the Public Finance Team at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer has been involved in the issuance of approving opinions for tax-exempt municipal obligations. We have participated in both competitively bid and negotiated transactions. While our primary experience is as bond counsel to public entity bond issuers, we have also served as underwriter's counsel, trustee's counsel and company counsel on numerous financings.
Wilentz Ranked Number 1 Bond Counsel in New Jersey:
Based upon statistics compiled by Thomson Reuters, we are proud to announce that our Public Finance Team has been ranked as #1 Bond Counsel in New Jersey for 2009 and 2010.
Our Public Finance Services
Our Public Finance Team, located in the Woodbridge office, has specific experience in the design and execution of a full range of tax-exempt and taxable financing transactions for issuance of municipal debt obligations, including:
- General obligation notes and bonds
- Tax, revenue and grant anticipation notes
- Tax increment bonds for development within designated district of municipality
- Revenue bonds for publicly owned utilities and other facilities, including water, sewer, solid waste disposal, resource recovery, pollution control and parking facilities
- Economic (industrial) development and redevelopment bonds
- Health and university facility bonds and other 501(c)(3) corporation bonds
- Housing bonds
- Lease-purchase certificates for public facility improvements and procurement of various types of equipment
- Current and advance refunding bonds
- Bonds additionally secured by credit enhancement, including insured bonds and letter-of-credit backed commercial paper programs and bonds
Virtually every public finance transaction in which the Public Finance Team participates now entails participation by our tax attorneys experienced in the tax-exempt provisions of the Internal Revenue Code. In our firm structure, tax attorneys are an integral part of the Public Finance Team and will routinely devote significant amounts of their time and energy to public finance matters.
Additionally, when serving as bond counsel on bond project financings for investor and publicly owned utility, and redevelopment projects, our Public Finance attorneys also regularly work very closely with our Public Utilities and Redevelopment attorneys. We believe our in-depth experience across these related practice areas, coupled with our synergistic law firm structure, uniquely situates us to provide the most comprehensive bond counsel services available in New Jersey.