Practice/Industry Group Overview
The Commercial Litigation Team at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer has a nationwide reputation for handling complex litigation. Our approach to commercial litigation is always to protect the client's overall business interests. There are occasions when it may make better business sense to settle a claim than run the risk of adverse publicity that could result from a public trial. Conversely, there are times when it makes better business sense to defend a small claim to avoid setting a precedent and inviting additional claims.
Additionally, there may be a faster, more economical way to resolve a dispute such as by arbitration or mediation or other forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). We are experienced in such alternative dispute procedures and our attorneys have represented clients in ADR matters and served as American Arbitration Association arbitrators and as mediators.
Each case is carefully considered on its merits by an experienced commercial litigator. The resulting advice reflects our considerable experience in the field of litigation.
Our Commercial Litigation Services
Some of the major areas in which we provide services are the following:
- Corporate and partnership disputes
- Unfair competition claims under the Lanham Act and state statutes
- All types of emergent relief (temporary restraining orders, preliminary injunctions) in the state court, chancery division and federal court
- Antitrust litigation and counseling
- Securities matters, including tender offers, proxy contests and suits based on federal/state securities law
- Directors' and officers' liability claims and shareholder derivative actions
- The protection of real estate brokers on their commissionable events
- Representing investors in securities-related litigation
- Representing various security brokers before the NASD and other public bodies
- Representing a significant number of physicians, both before the Board of Medical Examiners and also in their involvement in partnerships and professional corporate split-ups
- Defense of legal malpractice claims
- Banking and insurance disputes
- Restrictive covenant litigation and counseling
- Trade secret litigation
- All types of real estate and land use litigation
- Casino law
- Civil RICO matters
- ERISA matters
- Class actions
- Franchise disputes
- Condominium Law - see www.no-condo.com
Our Commercial Litigation Attorneys
The team is comprised of commercial litigation attorneys experienced in litigation at all levels of the state and federal judicial system. Our attorneys are frequently brought in to litigate cases in the federal and state courts in other states, and we are equipped to meet the needs of the business community.