Practice/Industry Group Overview
It is not an overstatement to say that virtually all businesses are affected by the myriad of employment laws currently in effect. The Employment Law Team at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer is experienced in a wide range of employment negotiation, mediation, arbitration, trial litigation and appellate litigation on behalf of management.
Some of the issues our employment law attorneys handle include the following:
- Wrongful discharge, demotion, transfer, failure to hire/promote
- Discrimination (age, ancestry, disability, genetic traits, liability for service in the armed forces, marital status, domestic partnership, civil union status, national origin, nationality, pregnancy, race/color, religion/creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression)
- Sexual harassment
- Disabilities/reasonable accommodation
- Leaves of absence (family and medical, disability, workers' compensation)
- Whistleblower claims
- Retaliation claims
- Employee handbook issues
- Employment contract disputes
- Restrictive covenants
- Severance agreements
- Wage and hour disputes (including misclassification, minimum wage and overtime issues)
- Employee benefits (pensions, 401k savings plans, profit-sharing plans)
- Union contracts/collective bargaining agreements
Our employment law attorneys also counsel businesses about their rights and obligations under the law from a preventative viewpoint, in an attempt to avoid costly and protracted litigation. In this vein, we frequently draft employee handbooks and contracts, conduct diversity/anti-discrimination/anti-harassment training, and investigate employee complaints. Our experience in these areas enables our clients to minimize the risk of serious complaints from employees.
Team attorneys are well known for their knowledge in all aspects of employment law and are frequent lecturers and authors on employment law topics affecting the business community. The complex issues surrounding this area of law require concentrated effort and expertise to keep abreast of day-to-day developments. The experience of our attorneys, combined with our firm's resources, enable us to be at the forefront of these issues.
The chair of our Employment Law Team , Maureen S. Binetti, is the immediate past Co-chair of the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the American Bar Association, and serves as a Bencher for the Sidney Reitman Labor and Employment Law Inn of Court. She is certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Civil Trial Attorney, frequently serves as a court-appointed and private mediator of employment disputes, and has been performing all types of employment investigations for more than 15 years.