Practice/Industry Group Overview
Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer is a full-service law firm established in 1919. We have been at the forefront of employment law for many years, beginning with the seminal case of Fuchilla v. UMDNJ in the New Jersey Supreme Court. Our practice extends to all areas of employment law and includes substantial trial and appellate experience. We represent both employees and employers, and handle both individual and class actions.
Our historical blend of work for both institutions and individuals has uniquely positioned our employment lawyers to represent both employers and employees. Indeed, our firm is the only large law firm in New Jersey, and possibly the nation, that regularly represents employees in employment law matters. We thus have substantial experience and credibility when acting as third-party neutrals in employment disputes.
Our Employment Law Services
In addition to frequently acting as mediators in such matters, we regularly conduct investigations of allegations of workplace wrongdoing. We have conducted workplace investigations for national and international corporations, small businesses, public entities, educational institutions, hospitals, and non-profit organizations. Our expertise has been particularly helpful where the allegations involve sensitive claims against high-level executives. We have investigated complaints ranging from individual allegations of sexual harassment and retaliation to claims of systemic age and sex discrimination. Indeed, our workplace investigations are so well-regarded that a national corporation enlisted us to train its human resources employees on how to conduct internal investigations.
- Investigation of Sexual Harassment and Sex Discrimination Complaints
- Investigation of Age and Disability (and/or perceived Disability) Harassment and Discrimination Complaints
- Investigation of Race, National Origin and Ethnic Origin Harassment and Discrimination Complaints
- Investigation of Sexual Orientation (and/or perceived Sexual Orientation), Marital Status, Civil Union Status Harassment and Discrimination Complaints
- Investigation of Retaliation Complaints
- Investigation of Employee Misconduct
- Investigation Workshop Training of Human Resources Personnel on How to Conduct Investigations
- Seminars for Attorneys on Employment Investigations
Other Advice/Training and Litigation
- Corporate Policy and Procedure Handbooks
- Sexual Harassment and Diversity Training
- Preventative Employment Measures
- Employee Leaves of Absence, Discipline and Terminations
- Reorganizations and Restructuring
- Severance and Employment Agreement Review
- Litigation of all types of Employment-Related Claims
Team attorneys are well known for their knowledge in all aspects of employment law and are frequent lecturers and authors on employment law topics affecting the business community. The complex issues surrounding this area of law require concentrated effort and expertise to keep abreast of day-to-day developments. The experience of our employment lawyers, combined with our firm's resources, enable us to be at the forefront of these issues.
The chair of our Employment Law Team, Maureen S. Binetti, is the immediate past Co-chair of the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the American Bar Association, and serves as a Bencher for the Sidney Reitman Labor and Employment Law Inn of Court. She is certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Civil Trial Attorney, frequently serves as a court-appointed and private mediator of employment disputes, and has been performing all types of employment investigations for more than 15 years.