Practice/Industry Group Overview
Our experienced Employment Law Team at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer represents employees in the negotiation, mediation, arbitration, trial litigation and appellate litigation of all types of employment law matters.
Some of the issues our attorneys handle include the following:
- Wrongful discharge, demotion, transfer, failure to hire/promote
- Discrimination (age, ancestry, disability, genetic traits, liability for service in the armed forces, marital status, domestic partnership, civil union status, national origin, nationality, pregnancy, race/color, religion/creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression)
- Sexual harassment
- Disabilities/Reasonable accommodation
- Leaves of absence (family and medical, disability, workers' compensation)
- Whistleblower claims
- Retaliation claims
- Employee handbook issues
- Employment contract disputes
- Restrictive covenants
- Severance agreements
- Wage and hour disputes (including misclassification, minimum wage and overtime issues)
- Employee benefits (pensions, 401k savings plans, profit-sharing plans)
- Union contracts/collective bargaining agreements
In addition to handling the variety of individual claims listed above, the Employment Law Team handles employment class actions, including claims of sex discrimination, age discrimination, violation of pension laws and violation of wage and hour laws.
We are the only large firm in New Jersey that regularly represents employees in employment law matters. Our team's employment attorneys, who have successfully litigated some of New Jersey's landmark cases on employee rights, regularly lecture and publish on employment law topics for bar associations and other organizations.
The chair of our Employment Law Team, Maureen S. Binetti, is the immediate past Co-chair of the Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the American Bar Association, and serves as a Bencher for the Sidney Reitman Labor and Employment Law Inn of Court. She is certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Civil Trial Attorney, frequently serves as a court-appointed and private mediator of employment disputes, and has been performing all types of employment investigations for more than 15 years.