Wilhelm devotes his practice to the defense of professionals, primarily accountants, attorneys and real estate professionals. He also provides risk management services and advice to CPAs across the country on a hotline under contract with a national insurance carrier.
A trial attorney for 25 years, Wilhelm has litigated hundreds of cases in state and federal courts in Pennsylvania, Washington, Virginia, Alaska and Oregon. He has provided legal counsel to thousands of professionals.
Prior to his engagement in the private practice of law, Wilhelm served as an assistant attorney general for the State of Washington providing counsel to the state's industrial insurance agency. During his tenure, he was prosecutor for the Medical Disciplinary Board. He left for private practice where he focused on asbestos litigation, medical malpractice and securities litigation. The State of Washington contracted with Wilhelm's new firm to have him appointed as special assistant attorney general prosecutor for the Medical Disciplinary Board - a contractual relationship which lasted an additional three years following his departure from state employ.
Wilhelm graduated from The University of Notre Dame in 1980 with a Bachelor of Arts and the University of Toledo, College of Law, with his juris doctor, cum laude, in 1983. Prior to joining Marshall Dennehey, Wilhelm was senior vice president of West Coast Operations for C. R. Vince & Associates, Inc., heading the firm's Seattle office. There he focused on professional liability claims, coverage issues, and risk management for accountants, architects and engineers. He also responded to callers on the Accountant's Professional Liability Advice Line, assisting accountants with risk management in their day-to-day practice - a service he continues to provide at Marshall Dennehey.
When not practicing law, Wilhelm runs in local and regional races raising funds for the benefit of the American Cancer Society and the American Heart Association. He is a member of the Friends of Schuylkill River Park and volunteers for clean-up efforts sponsored by the Fairmount Park Association.
• Ethical Considerations When Dealing With Distressed Property, National Business Institute, Philadelphia, PA, August 2014
• Risk Management and Loss Prevention for Accountants, Kansas City and Kansas Institutes of CPAs, July 2014
• I Think My Bookkeeper Is Stealing From Me, Panel Presenter - PICPA Cooperates With the Bar and Other Professionals, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, June 2013
• Accountants Professional Liability - Claims Training and Current Issues Discussion, GenStar and Markel/AllRisks, Chicago, Illinois, March 2013
• Advanced Issues in Foreclosure, Live CLE, Philadelphia, July 2011
• Maintaining Professionalism in the Legal Practice, National Business Institute Webinar, June 2011
• Risk Management and Insurance Coverage - Practical Lessons from the Trenches, Annual Meeting of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Pennsylvania Society of Public Accountants, May 2011
• Tax Consequences of Foreclosure, National Business Institute, national webinar, lso available as a podcast through West Publishing, January 2011 and June 2011
• Accountants' Liability Claims Perspective and Risk Management, National Webinar for ArgoPro/Insight Insurance Services, October 2010
• Agents and Brokers - A Better Understanding of Legal Developments and Risk Assessment, Liberty Mutual Agency Underwriters and Claims, Seattle, Washington, September 2010
• Do's and Don'ts of Engagement Letters in IRS Tax Representation, Winning Strategies LLC, November 2009
• New Auditing Standards, IRS Regulations, the Turmoil in the American Automotive Market and How Each May Impact Claims, Litigation and Risk Management, Annual Meeting of the National Alliance of Auto Dealer Advisors (NAADA), St. Louis, Missouri, June 2009
• Case Trends, Risk Management and Issues Effecting Underwriting and Claims Against Accountants and Attorneys, New York City, June 2009
• A Comprehensive Guide To Claims Administration, Mutual Marine, New York, New York, Spring 2009
• New Auditing Standards for Non-Public Companies/Liability and Risk Management Issues, Morris J. Cohen & Co., P.C., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2007
• New Auditing Standards Recently Promulgated by the AICPA and Their Effects on Claims Trends and Underwriting, Everest National Insurance Company, April 4, 2007
• Claims Trends and Risk Management Techniques For Professional Liability Attorneys, Claims Handlers And Underwriters, Crittenden Specialty Coverages Conference, Las Vegas, October 2004
• PLUS Mid-Year Miscellaneous E&O Symposium, PLUS, Philadelphia, May 2004
• Handling the Accountant Embezzlemant Claim - A Case Study, Institute of CPAs Joint Committee on Cooperation With the Bar and Other Professionals, March 2013; Travelers Insurance Co., November 2013
• Risky Business: Risk Management Techniques for Accounting Firms, ArgoPro, Insight Services Inc., Contract Solutions Group Webinar, October 2010
• Multi-Disciplinary Approach to Accountants Professional Liability Claims Handling, Litigation and Underwriting, GenStar (a Berkshire Hathaway Company) and Markel Corp. Midwest Region, March 2013
• Forensic Reports: the Federal and State Rules of Evidence - Kovel Letters, Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs Forensic and Litigation Divorce Conference, October 2013
• Accountant's Professional Liability, Travelers Insurance Co., November 2013
Past Employment Positions
• C.R. Vince & Associate, Inc., Senior Vice-President for West Coast Operations, 2002 - 2005
• SAFECO Insurance Company, 1995 - 2002
• Assistant Attorney General, Washington State, 1983 - 1990
Honors & Awards
• BV Distinguished by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell