Mr. Herrfeldt is a member of Venable's Corporate Practice Group and represents start-up, emerging growth and established companies in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, strategic partnering and joint ventures, commercial loan transactions, private equity and venture capital transactions, technology transfers, licensing, and general corporate planning. A substantial portion of Mr. Herrfeldt's practice also involves the representation of investors, fund syndicators, sponsors and developers in structuring and negotiating tax credit transactions, including syndicated and single-investor federal and state tax credit equity funds.
Prior to joining Venable, Mr. Herrfeldt was an associate in the corporate and energy department of an international law firm where he represented corporate clients in the financial services, energy and retail industries.
· Represented a private equity fund in connection with the purchase of an industrial division of Textron Inc. that included 34 companies located in 17 countries with a total transaction value in excess of $1.1 billion.
· Represented the borrower in a $20 million revolving credit facility secured by multiple tranches of healthcare receivables that included complex cash-recycling components.
· Represented a major privately-held coal company in the stock acquisitions of two competitors for a combined purchase price of $66 million.
· Represented a major privately-held coal company in a joint venture with a major publicly-held energy company valued between $400 million and $900 million.
· Represented investors in over 30 multi-investor and single-investor federal low-income housing tax credit equity funds with an average investment between $8 million and $50 million.
· Assisted a tax credit fund syndicator in structuring its first multi-investor fund offering.
· Represented a regional petroleum jobber in the acquisition of all the assets of a major Mid-Atlantic jobber and gas station owner for a total transaction value in excess of $26 million.
· Represented a national licensed sporting goods retailer in the sale of all its assets to a major publicly-held retailer for a total transaction value in excess of $34 million.
· Represented a mortgage loan servicer in the acquisition of multiple portfolios of mortgage servicing rights, including the acquisition of a portfolio of $5.2 billion UPB of mortgage servicing rights relating to Ginnie Mae guaranteed MBS for approximately $24 million.
· Represented a distressed debt fund in the acquisition of multiple portfolios of credit card and subprime auto receivables.
Mr. Herrfeldt's civic participation includes the Board of Directors of the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America, Maryland/S. Delaware Chapter.