Former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld provides clients with advice and counsel related to domestic and international government strategies, international business transactions, cross-border investments, and international capital flows.
Before joining Mintz Levin and ML Strategies, Bill practiced law in the New York and Washington, DC offices of a large international law firm, where he established an extensive international consulting business in mining, energy, and technology.
Bill was elected Governor of Massachusetts in 1990 and reelected in 1994 with 71% of the vote. During his terms, he succeeded in reducing taxes and unemployment. His pro-business policies are widely considered to have made a positive impact on the state.
As Governor, Bill led sixteen official trade missions to Asia, Africa, Latin America, and Europe. He also served as national co-chair of the Privatization Council, which pioneered public-private partnerships, particularly in the area of infrastructure.
Bill has substantial experience in the energy and mining industries, particularly with respect to exploration and production in emerging markets in Africa and Asia. As Governor, he deregulated the electric industry, setting a model for other US states to introduce competition and market mechanisms. He mandated the use of natural gas as fuel for government bus fleets, and was an early proponent of the development of hybrid electric vehicles.
Bill served as Assistant US Attorney General in charge of the Criminal Division of the Justice Department in Washington, and as US Attorney for Massachusetts, earning national recognition for his work fighting public corruption and white-collar crime. He also spent a dozen years practicing as a securities and anti-trust litigator. Earlier, Bill served as a staff member in both the US House of Representatives, where he participated in the Watergate impeachment inquiry, and the US Senate.
Bill is an active member of the Council on Foreign Relations in New York and Washington, DC, and served by appointment of the President on the US Holocaust Memorial Council.
Bill also serves as an associate member of the InterAction Council, a working society of former heads of state from throughout the world, which convenes annually to consider and report on issues of global concern such as water, food, energy, natural resources, and religious sectarianism.
•Co-author, Washington Outlook 2015: What We'll See from Congress and the Administration, ML Strategies Legislative and Regulatory Report (01.20.2015)
• Co-author, Expand Paths for Legal Immigration, Boston Globe (04.21.2013)
•Mintz Levin Adds Leading Energy Lawyer and Former Weld Administration Official to Energy Technology and Project Finance Practice, (10.14.2014)
• Mintz Levin Hosts “40 Years Later: The Legacy of Watergate” Seminar, (10.16.2013)
• Featured in Bill Weld, Paul Cellucci Team Up For New Venture, The Boston Globe (03.08.2013)
• Featured in Weld Named a Partner at Hub Law Firm, The Boston Globe (10.17.2012)
• Former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld Joins Mintz Levin, ML Strategies, (10.16.2012)
•Panelist, A Discussion of the Massachusetts Election Results, Cambridge Innovation Center, Cambridge, MA (11.20.2014)
• Panelist, A Discussion of the Massachusetts General Election Results, Boston, MA (11.07.2014)
• Panelist, Understanding the Massachusetts Statewide Primary Election Results Part One: Post Primary Outlook, Boston, MA (09.16.2014)
• Speaker, Political and Legislative Perspectives on the Boston Mayoral Election Results, Post-Election Analysis: Understand the Boston Mayoral Results, Boston, MA (11.12.2013)
• Speaker, 40 Years Later - The Legacy of Watergate, Mintz Levin, New York, NY (10.21.2013)
• Speaker, U.S. Policy to Pursue Energy Independence & Who Owns the Land? Farming, Mining and Land Rights in Africa, International Bar Association Annual Meeting, International Bar Association, Boston, MA (10.07.2013)
• Speaker, US Energy Independence - Could it Change the World?, The 4th Gulf Intelligence Doha Energy Forum, The Gulf Intelligence, Doha, Qatar (03.05.2013)
• Speaker, U.S. Energy Independence - Could it Change the World as We Know it?, The 4th Gulf Intelligence UAE Energy Forum, The Gulf Intelligence, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi (01.09.2013)
• Speaker, Post-Election Analysis: Understanding the Results, ML Strategies & Mintz Levin, Boston, MA (11.09.2012)
Governor Weld discusses what is driving foreign investment in the U.S. (Also at Washington, D.C. and New York, N.Y. Offices)