William Garner focuses his practice on domestic and international hydrocarbon and inert gas transactions and renewable energy. He has experience working on worldwide natural gas projects, including unconventional gas. He has worked on projects in the United States, Canada, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Poland, Kazakhstan, U.A.E., Algeria, Turkey and Mexico. William has also provided counsel to major energy companies, and served as an investment banker for the world's leading oil and gas investment banking boutique, advising on domestic and international upstream and midstream transactions. He is Chair of the firm's Renewable Energy Practice Group.
Prior to joining the firm, William was senior counsel at a multi-practice global law firm.
Areas of Concentration
•Gas utilities and pipelines
• Oil and gas upstream
• Energy and gas storage
• Unconventional gas
• Gas power generation
• Renewable and clean energy
• Energy and environmental policy
• Corporate and mergers and acquisitions
• Energy project development
Awards & Recognition
•100 Most Influential Business Leaders in the Energy Industry Today, Houston Business Journal, November 2013
•Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of America's Best Corporate Law Firms, 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
•Listed, World's Leading Energy Lawyers, Euromoney Legal Media Group, 2013
•Listed, Chambers USA Guide, Energy Law 2012
•Listed, Houston Business Journal Who's Who in Energy, 2012-2015
•Recognized among the Top Energy Lawyers in Houston, 2012
•Recipient, Magna Stella Award, Texas General Counsel Forum, 2008
Articles, Publications & Lectures
William is a frequent public speaker on North American energy and environmental policy.
• Greenberg Among Firms on Consol Deal: Business of Law, Bloomberg, October 29, 2013
• Issues Associated with the Development of Wind and Solar Projects, 4th Annual Qatar Alternative Energy Investors Summit, March 2013
• Shale Development Issues in Mexico, Shale Development Conference sponsored by the British Chamber of Commerce, the Mexican College of Lawyers and the World Economic Forum, Mexico City, 2012
• The Crossroads Between Wind and Natural Gas Development, American Wind Energy Annual Conference, Atlanta, 2012
• Natural Gas Expert, Fortune Brainstorm Green Conference, Fortune Magazine, Dana Point, California, 2010
Associated News & Events
04.23.15 Greenberg Traurig's Third Annual Energy State of the Union Dinner Addresses Oil Prices
12.10.14 Three Greenberg Traurig Shareholders Listed in The Business Journals' 2014-2015 “Who's Who in Energy”
09.22.14 Greenberg Traurig Holds Seminar on Mexican Energy Reform
04.28.14 Greenberg Traurig's Nicolas Borda and William Garner to Participate in IEL-ANADE Conference on Mexico's Entry Into the Global Oil and Gas Market
11.18.13 Three Greenberg Traurig Shareholders Listed In Houston Business Journal's 2013 'Who's Who In Energy'
06.17.13 Six Greenberg Traurig Attorneys Recognized in Euromoney's 2013 ENERGY Expert Guide
12.13.12 Three Greenberg Traurig Shareholders Listed in Houston Business Journal's 2012 'Who's Who in Energy'
05.29.12 Greenberg Traurig Continues Major Strides in Building Global Energy Practice: Adds William Garner in Houston