Bill has practised widely in commercial, conveyancing and corporate law, in utility regulation and other administrative proceedings, and civil litigation. He engages in civil litigation and a variety of special projects, but serves primarily as advisor and consultant to lawyers at Reynolds, Mirth, Richards & Farmer LLP.
Bill is the author of two books, The Self-Regulation of the Legal Profession in Canada and in England and Wales and Law Reform Commissions in the United Kingdom, Australia and Canada. He is the editor of two other books on subjects relating to the legal profession and law reform and is co-editor of a book on choices for peace and security in the Arctic. In addition, Bill is the author of numerous articles and notes in legal publications.
- Past President, Honourary Bencher, Law Society of Alberta
- Honorary Life Member; Former ex-officio Member of the Council, Canadian Bar Association
- Founding Member; Board Member; Consultant; Former Chairman; Former Director, Alberta Law Reform Institute
- Former President, Federation of Law Societies of Canada
- Former Member; Former Chairman, City of Edmonton Development Appeal Board
- Former Chairman, Public Interest Advocacy Centre
- Former Director, American Judicature Society
- Former Commissioner, Uniform Law Conference of Canada
- Former Member, Provincial Court Reorganization Agency
- Inns of Court