William H. Murray has practiced in the area of intellectual property law for 35 years. His practice includes the acquisition, evaluation, licensing and enforcement of intellectual property rights including patents, trademarks and copyrights. His practice encompasses diverse areas of technology such as computer hardware and software, integrated circuits, Internet, television, communication systems, medical electronics and electrical power distribution systems.
Admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, he is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association's Intellectual Property Section and the Philadelphia Bar Association. He is also a member of the Education and Electronics and Computer Law committees of the American Intellectual Property Law Association.
He is the past president of the Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association, the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, which is the continuing legal education arm of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, and the Benjamin Franklin Inn of the American Inns of Court, a Philadelphia area Inn of Court for intellectual property law practitioners.
Mr. Murray is an adjunct professor of law at Villanova University School of Law.
Mr. Murray was named as one of the first-rank intellectual property lawyers in Pennsylvania by Chambers and Partners, the London-based international legal ranking and directory publisher. The rankings are established by Chambers researchers, who contact general counsel and law firm partners throughout the United States, seeking their view of the top practitioners in each area. Mr. Murray qualified to be listed in the 2003-2005 editions of Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers.
Mr. Murray is a 1973 graduate of Villanova University School of Law and a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania (B.S. and M.S., electrical engineering).
· Member of the litigation team in General Battery Corp. v. Globe Union, Inc., patent infringement litigation involving plastic containers for lead acid batteries.
· Member of the litigation team in General Battery Corp. v. Globe Union, Inc., patent infringement litigation involving intercell connections for lead acid batteries.
· Member of the litigation team in ACS Hospital Systems, Inc. v. Montefiore Hospital, patent infringement litigation involving television rental systems.
· Lead counsel in Pollillo, et al v. Elcotel, Inc., patent infringement litigation involving paid telephones.
· Lead counsel in Elcotel, Inc. v. Intellicall, Inc., patent infringement litigation involving paid telephones.
· Lead counsel in for a Respondent In Re: Certain Plastic Molding Machines (II), an International Trade Commission (ITC) investigation involving alleged infringement of a patent relating to plastic molding machines.
· Responsible for the preparation and prosecution of numerous PCT international applications for inventions relating to computer and communication technologies.
· Counsel to a large integrated circuit manufacturer with regard to the drafting and prosecution of patent applications and related business and patent advice.
· Counsel to a manufacturer of flat panel displays with regard to the drafting and prosecution of patent applications and related business and patent advice.
· Responsible for the preparation of numerous patent validity and infringement opinions for numerous U.S. and foreign clients.
· Has lectured on numerous Intellectual Property topics for the American Bar Association, the Philadelphia Bar Association, the Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association, and the Pennsylvania Bar Institute.
· Adjunct Professor, Villanova University School of Law, 1991-present
· Certified Panelist, National Patent Board, 1999-present
· American Intellectual Property Law Association
-Committee on Education, 1991-present
-Electronics and Computer Law Committee, 1995-present
· Pennsylvania Bar Association
-House of Delegates, 1984-1989 and 1998-2002
-Member Intellectual Property Section from inception to present
· Philadelphia Bar Association
· Pennsylvania Bar Institute
-Vice President, 1997-1998
--Chair, Intellectual Property Advisory Committee
· Federal Circuit Bar Association
· Benjamin Franklin Inn of the American Inns of Court
-Executive Committee, 1997-present
-Vice President, 1997-1998
· Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association
-Vice President, 1987-1988
· Brehon Law Society
-Executive Committee, 1983-present
-Vice President, 1988-1985
Honors and Awards
· Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Intellectual Property Law, 2006-2014
· Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2004-2012
· Listed in Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2010
· Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, 2003-2005 editions
· AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Selected Speaking Engagements
· Speaker, What's The Case Worth?" PBI's Third Annual IP Institute, March 5-6, 2009