William has more than 16 years of large law firm, general counsel and deal management experience. His practice focuses on corporate transactional work, with a specialty in Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity and Venture Capital, Joint Ventures and strategic partnerships across multiple sectors, working on a range of complex transactions ($20 million to $15 billion).
Equally comfortable working with multi-national and boutique clients, William counsels on deal structuring, regulatory trends, board compliance and strategies to improve and protect shareholder value. Having worked both as the advisor and the client (as general counsel), William has a pragmatic hands-on approach, understanding the nuances of maximizing growth potential while minimizing risk.
Prior to joining the firm, William was the general counsel and executive vice president of a private health care company. He started up and managed the company's corporate legal department. As a member of the executive team, William established a formal human resources department, spearheaded a formal compliance program, coordinated with operations in the establishment and operation of practices throughout the U.S., oversaw the legal aspects of all transactions, and strategized on and structured possible business models that met regulatory guidelines. In each case, William helped establish consistency, reduced turnaround time for documentation and negotiations, avoided legal issues, minimized risk, and ensured conformance with federal and state regulatory guidelines.
William has worked for extended periods of time in, Japan, Australia and New Zealand on mergers and acquisitions and securities transactions, and has provided support in other transactions around the world. His international transactional experience includes the formation of joint ventures in the People's Republic of China, Mexico, Europe, Japan, Malaysia and Africa; global offerings of securities; acquisitions and divestitures in Asia, Central and South America and Europe, and the restructuring of international investments.
Areas of Concentration
· Mergers and acquisitions
· Private equity and venture capital
· Joint ventures and strategic partnerships
· Energy and Oil & Gas
· Health care
· Corporate restructuring
· General corporate affairs and governance
· Corporate finance
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, State Bar of Texas
· Founder and General Counsel, Collect4Effect.com
· Organizer and Leader, various hurricane response and preparedness teams
Awards & Recognition
· Recognized, Houston Top Lawyer, H Texas Magazine, 2006-2008
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Texas Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2007
Mergers and Acquisitions: William has represented both acquiring and target companies with respect to a variety of acquisitions and divestitures, including stock and asset purchases, reorganizations and restructurings, and other complex transactions. Companies he has advised include:
· Gentiva Health Services in its acquisition of Harden Healthcare Holdings.
· Wheelock Street Capital in its acquisition of homebuilding assets and the establishment of related joint ventures.
· GPM Investments, LLC in its acquisition of convenience stores and fuel transportation and distribution assets.
· Tellus Oilfield, Inc. in the sale of its directional drilling business.
· DiversiTech Corporation in multiple acquisitions.
· Carriage Services, Inc. in multiple acquisitions and divestitures.
· CEMEX, S.A. de C.V. in multiple acquisitions and divestitures, including i) its acquisition of its Balcones cement facility, Dixon-Marquette Cement and Southdown, Inc., ii) the sale of its Great Lakes business and Midwest aggregates businesses, iii) the formation of cement and concrete joint ventures, and iv) the restructuring of its United States operations and organizational structure as a result of its acquisitions of Southdown, Inc., RMC, Ltd. and Rinker Group, Limited.
· InterSyn Technologies, LP in the sale of its directional drilling business, TerraVici Drilling Solutions, L.P.
· The ComVest Group in the acquisition of heavy equipment company.
· OTC Energy Holdings LP in various acquisitions of OTC Energy Brokerages.
· Anesthesia Healthcare Partners in the sale of various anesthesia practices.
· Vulcan Energy Corporation in its acquisition of Plains Resources Inc.
· Noble Energy, Inc. in its acquisition of Patina Oil & Gas Corporation.
· Slough Estates plc in the sale of its interests in Tipperary Corporation and its subsidiaries.
· Huntsman Corporation and various affiliates in an out-of-court restructuring and several acquisitions of businesses.
Private Equity: William has represented companies and funds in making direct investments (both domestic and foreign), and in establishing strategic partnerships. Companies and funds William has advised include:
· Multi-National Equity Fund in oil and gas companies.
· Riverstone Holdings, LLC in alternative fuels and renewable energy companies.
· Macquarie Americas Corp. in oil and gas companies.
· Guggenheim Corporate Funding in oil and gas service companies.
· PCCW and Japanese telecommunications company in technology companies.
· Paloma Partners LLC in the placement of equity securities.
· Intersyn Technologies, LP in the restructuring of its investor agreements.
· Vulcan Energy II in midstream oil and gas companies.
· Microbes, Inc. in placement of equity securities and bridge loan.
· Collect for Effect LLC in its formation and placement of equity securities with initial investors.
Corporate Finance: William has represented both issuers and underwriters in public and private offerings of debt and equity securities, including:
· Westside Energy Corporation in the registration of equity securities.
· Reliant Energy, Inc. in issuances of notes and tax-exempt bonds.
· Huntsman Corporation and various affiliates in issuances of private and public debt.
· Azurix Corporation in the tender offer and consent solicitation of its outstanding public debt.
· United Energy, an Australian electricity distribution company, in its global offering of stapled securities.
Corporate: William has advised companies with respect to corporate restructuring and entity formation.
° Some of the above representations were handled by Mr. Sultemeier prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
(Also at Houston and Dallas, Texas Offices)