William H. Sultemeier has more than 15 years of large law firm, general counsel and deal management experience. His practice focuses on corporate transactional work, with extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital, joint ventures, and strategic partnerships across multiple sectors, working on a range of complex transactions ($20 million to $15 billion).
Equally comfortable working with multinational and boutique clients, William counsels on deal structuring, regulatory trends, board compliance and strategies to improve and advance business goals. As a former general counsel, William has a pragmatic hands-on approach and understands the importance of maximizing growth potential while minimizing risk.
Prior to joining the firm, William was the general counsel and executive vice president of a private health care company. He built and led the company's corporate legal department. As a member of the executive team, William established a formal regulatory compliance program, oversaw the legal aspects of all transactions, and created and executed successful new business models. In each case, William helped establish consistency and reduced turnaround time for documentation and negotiations.
William has worked for extended periods of time in China, Japan, Australia and New Zealand on mergers and acquisitions and securities transactions and has led legal and business teams in other transactions around the world. His international transactional experience includes the formation of joint ventures in the People's Republic of China, Mexico, Europe, Japan, Malaysia and Africa; global offerings of securities, acquisitions and divestitures in Asia, Central and South America and Europe; and the restructuring of international investments.
Areas of Concentration
• Energy, oil and gas
• Mergers and acquisitions
• Joint ventures and strategic partnerships
• Private equity and venture capital
• Corporate restructuring
• General corporate affairs and governance
• Health care
• Corporate finance
Professional & Community Involvement
• Member, State Bar of Texas
• Founder and General Counsel, Collect4Effect.com
• Organizer and Leader, various hurricane response and preparedness teams
Awards & Recognition
• Listed, Georgia Trend magazine "Legal Elite," 2013
• Listed, H Texas Magazine, "Houston Top Lawyer," 2006-2008
• Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Texas Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2007
William Sultemeier represents public and private companies, private equity firms and hedge funds in a variety of U.S. and international transactions.
Mergers and Acquisitions
William has represented both acquiring and target companies with respect to a variety of acquisitions and divestitures, including stock and asset purchases, reorganizations and restructurings, and other complex transactions. Companies he has advised include:
• TIAA-CREF's Energy and Infrastructure Group in the formation of a joint venture and the acquisition by the joint venture of, and further development and acquisition of, oil and gas assets and interests
• Tellus Oilfield, Inc. in the sale of its directional drilling business
• InterSyn Technologies, LP in the sale of its directional drilling business, TerraVici Drilling Solutions, L.P.
• OTC Energy Holdings LP in various acquisitions of OTC Energy Brokerages
• Vulcan Energy Corporation in its acquisition of Plains Resources Inc.
• Vulcan Capital, a private equity firm, in the formation of a joint venture with Plains All American Pipeline, L.P. known as PAA/Vulcan Gas Storage, and the acquisition by the joint venture of a natural gas storage business from Sempra Energy
• Noble Energy, Inc. in its acquisition of Patina Oil & Gas Corporation
• GPM Investments, LLC in its acquisition of convenience stores and fuel transportation and distribution assets
• Huntsman Corporation and various affiliates in an out-of-court restructuring and several acquisitions of businesses
• Slough Estates plc in the sale of its interests in Tipperary Corporation, an oil and gas company, and its subsidiaries
• CEMEX, S.A. de C.V. in multiple acquisitions and divestitures, including i) its acquisition of its Balcones cement facility, Dixon-Marquette Cement and Southdown, Inc., ii) the sale of its Great Lakes business and Midwest aggregates businesses, iii) the formation of cement and concrete joint ventures, and iv) the restructuring of its United States operations and organizational structure as a result of its acquisitions of Southdown, Inc., RMC, Ltd. and Rinker Group, Limited
• Gentiva Health Services in its acquisition of Harden Healthcare Holdings
• Wheelock Street Capital in its acquisition of homebuilding assets and the establishment of related joint ventures
• Carriage Services, Inc. in multiple acquisitions and divestitures
• DiversiTech Corporation in multiple acquisitions
• The ComVest Group in the acquisition of heavy equipment company
• Anesthesia Healthcare Partners in the sale of various anesthesia practices
• Metropolitan Life Insurance Company in the sale of its commercial finance business to General Electric Capital Corporation
William has represented companies and funds in making direct investments (both domestic and foreign), and in establishing strategic partnerships. Companies and funds William has advised include:
• Multi-National Equity Fund in oil and gas companies
• Riverstone Holdings, LLC in alternative fuels and renewable energy companies
• Macquarie Americas Corp. in oil and gas companies
• Guggenheim Corporate Funding in oil and gas service companies
• Vulcan Energy II in midstream oil and gas companies
• Paloma Partners LLC in the placement of equity securities
• PCCW and Japanese telecommunications company in technology companies
• Intersyn Technologies, LP in the restructuring of its investor agreements
• Microbes, Inc. in placement of equity securities and bridge loan
• Collect for Effect LLC in its formation and placement of equity securities with initial investors
William has represented both issuers and underwriters in public and private offerings of debt and equity securities, including:
• Reliant Energy, Inc. in issuances of notes and tax-exempt bonds
• Westside Energy Corporation in the registration of equity securities
• Huntsman Corporation and various affiliates in issuances of private and public debt
• United Energy, an Australian electricity distribution company, in its global offering of stapled securities
• Azurix Corporation in the tender offer and consent solicitation of its outstanding public debt
William has advised companies with respect to corporate restructuring and entity formation.
°Some of the above representations were handled by Mr. Sultemeier prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Associated News & Events
12.23.13 35, Greenberg Traurig Attorneys Included in Georgia Trend's Legal Elite List Across 8 Categories
02.01.12, Latin American M&A Spotlight
08.29.12, What You Need to Know About the New SEC Rule Requiring Additional Reporting by Resource Extraction Issuers
(Also at Houston and Dallas, Texas Offices)