William L. Siegel is a Shareholder in the Corporate and Business Law Practice Group of Cowles & Thompson and Bankruptcy Section Head. His experience ranges from representing individuals and business entities in their corporate and transactional affairs including drafting and negotiating agreements of all types, and representing individuals and business entities in disputes giving rise to litigation in State and Federal Courts. He also represents debtors, creditors, Trustees, and Committees in bankruptcy matters in Chapter 7 liquidations and Chapter 11 reorganizations. His clients include small and medium size businesses, start-up technology companies, and partnerships.
Bill was born in Toledo, Ohio in 1957, and received his preliminary education in Toledo. He obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree in Finance in 1979 from Miami University in Ohio. Bill then earned his law degree from the University of Toledo College of Law in 1982, where he was a member of the Moot Court Board.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
• Bill Siegel was interviewed on August 4, 2010 by Joe Thomas of CBS 11 TV and Tracy Kornet of KTXA 21 regarding the Bankruptcy and Action of the Texas Rangers.
• Bill Siegel was quoted in a Dallas Business Journal article entitled “Still no decision on Rangers sale” dated June 15, 2010
• On Tuesday, June 15, 2010, Bill Siegel was interviewed by Austin York on KRLD News Radio 1080 AM regarding the Texas Rangers breakup fee between Greenberg and Ryan.
• Bill Siegel was quoted in a Dallas Business Journal article entitled “Greenberg-Ryan could get $10M breakup fee” dated June 14, 2010.
• Bill Siegel was quoted in a Star-Telegram article entitled “Bankruptcy next step in Texas Rangers saga as Hicks tries to wrap up sale” dated May 24, 2010.
• Bill Siegel was quoted in a Dallas Business Journal article entitled "VarTec founders seek end to suit - Mitchells' lavish lifestyle remains key issue" dated August 10, 2009.
• Bill Siegel was quoted in a Dallas Business Journal article entitled "Superior Air Parts action likely to focus on equity" dated July 28, 2009.
• Bill Siegel was quoted In a Dallas Business Journal article entitled "SBA to take control of fund that owes money" dated May 22, 2009 http://dallas.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2009/05/25/story7.html
• On Thursday, November 20, 2008, Bill Siegel was interviewed by Shaun Rabb of Fox4News in a story entitled "Auto dealerships Discuss Bailout Possibility: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/Auto_Dealerships_Discuss_Bailout_Possibility
• Author: “Attorney Liability -- Is This the New Twilight Zone?” The University of Memphis Law Review, Volume 27, Number 1, 1997
• “Treatments of Covenants Not to Compete in Bankruptcy,” ABA Spring Conference.
• Speaker: ABA Business Law Section Semi-Annual Meeting, Nashville, Tennessee, 1996, and San Francisco, California, 1999;
• Speaker: National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges (San Diego, California), Memphis Bar Association, 1996;
• Speaker: National CLE Conference -- Bankruptcy Law; Texas Real Estate Commission; and frequent lecturer to various professional organizations regarding corporate law and bankruptcy.
• Speaker: 2007 Tax & Accounting Expo; East Texas Chapter, Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
• Bill Siegel has been interviewed on numerous occasions on KRLD-AM 1080 regarding the American Airlines and Hostess bankruptcies.
Bill is a member of the following organizations:
• Dallas Bar Association (Member, Bankruptcy, Commercial Law and Business Litigation Sections);
• American Bar Association (Member, Business Law Section, Claims Exemption and Priorities Subcommittee);
• State Bar of Texas (Member, Business Law Section);
• Texans for Tort Reform (Member, Board of Governors); North Dallas Chamber of Commerce (Chairman, Governmental Affairs Committee, Member of Small Business Committee and Board of Directors);
• Member of Rotary Club of Park Cities;
• Arts District Friends (Board Member);
• Big Thought, Inc., f/k/a Young Audiences of North Texas (Board Member).
For nine consecutive years in a row, (2004-2012) a poll by the publishers of Texas Monthly and Law & Politics Magazine of 65,000 lawyers in the state, named Bill Siegel as one of the top 100 Super Lawyers in the State of Texas.
Memberships & Affiliations:
• Member, State Bar of Texas
• Member, Dallas Bar Association
• Member, American Bar Association
• Member, Rotary Club of Park Cities
• Board Member, North Dallas Chamber of Commerce
• Texans for Tort Reform
• Board Member, Dallas Arts District Alliance, Inc.
• Board Member, Big Thought, Inc., f/k/a Young Audiences, North Texas
• Representation of numerous businesses as their general counsel. Such representation includes handling their transactional and corporate affairs ranging from lease negotiations, asset and stock sales, employment/non-compete/confidentiality issues, strategic planning, as well as day to day issues which arise in their ordinary course of business.
• Representation of numerous businesses in disputes ranging from breach of contract, fraud, deceptive trade practices, collection.
• Representation of shareholders and partners in minority shareholder/partner oppression disputes/lawsuits.
• Represents debtors, creditors and trustees in Chapters 7 and 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
• Assists debtors in informal workouts with the goal of avoiding a bankruptcy filing.
• Currently represents equipment financing companies in numerous bankruptcies in Texas regarding motions to assume or reject equipment financing leases and motions to modify the automatic stay to take possession of equipment.
• Currently represents landlords regarding motions to assume or reject leases and motions to modify the automatic stay to take possession of the premises.
• Represents creditors and equity interest holders in bankruptcy and workouts.
• Represent creditors in Chapter 5 (preference and fraudulent conveyance) related bankruptcy adversary proceedings.