Bill serves as Co-chair of the firm's Life Sciences Practice. He focuses his practice on securities law, venture capital, and mergers and acquisitions. He regularly represents technology-based companies, principally in the areas of biotechnology, medical technologies, energy and clean technology, and software. He routinely counsels these clients on many aspects of their corporate development, from initial organization and acquisition of technology, through private financing and initial public offering, to strategic alliances and business combination transactions. He also regularly represents venture capital firms in portfolio investment activities and underwriters in public offerings and private placements of equity securities.
Bill has lectured at various Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education seminars on topics relating to corporate organization and mergers and acquisitions.
During law school, he served as editor-in-chief of the Boston University Law Review. Bill is a former law clerk to the Chief Judge of the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
• Seventy-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2016 Edition, (08.17.2015)
• Twenty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys and Seven Practice Areas Featured in 2015 Legal 500 United States Guide, (06.11.2015)
• Fifty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2015 Guide, (05.19.2015)
• Sixty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2015 Edition, (08.18.2014)
• Nineteen Mintz Levin Attorneys and Seven Practice Areas Featured in 2014 Legal 500 United States Guide, (07.24.2014)
• Fifty-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2014 Guide, (05.23.2014)
• Mintz Levin Named Biotechnology “Law Firm of the Year- North America” by M&A Today Global Awards, (02.20.2014)
• Sixty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2014 Edition, (08.15.2013)
• Mintz Levin Represents Intercept Pharmaceuticals Inc. in Follow-On Public Offering, (07.01.2013)
• Eleven Mintz Levin Attorneys and Six Practice Areas Recommended by Legal 500 United States 2013, (06.18.2013)
• Sixty Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 Edition, (08.24.2012)
• Mintz Levin's Life Sciences Practice Represents Boston Biomedical, Inc. in its Agreement with Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma Co., Ltd. to be Acquired for up to $2.63 Billion, (03.02.2012)
• Mintz Levin Represents Caliper Life Sciences in $600 Million Acquisition by PerkinElmer, (11.08.2011)
• Mintz Levin Represents BG Medicine in Closing of Initial Public Offering, (02.10.2011)
• William T. Whelan to moderate panel discussion at AdvaMed 2008 - The MedTech Conference, (09.23.2008)
•Panelist, Financing Life Sciences Companies - What's Current and What's New, 3rd Annual International Bar Association (IBA) World Life Sciences Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (06.12.2015)
•Moderator, Thinking Smartly About Diagnostics, Boston Biotech CEO Conference, Boston Biotech Conferences, Boston, MA (05.26.2015)
•Moderator, Innovative Ways to Fund Your Early Stage Company, MassBio 2015 Annual Meeting, Cambridge, MA (03.27.2015)
•Panelist, Financing Trends for Life Sciences and Healthcare Innovation, New England Healthcare Executive Meeting, Constant Contact, Waltham, MA (11.03.2014)
•Moderator, Private Financing Trends, 2014 CEO Conference, Boston Biotech Conferences, Boston, MA (06.05.2014)
•Moderator, Deal Structures, Boston CEO Conference, Boston, MA (06.12.2012)
Bill Whelan discusses what is driving financing trends in the life sciences.
Recognitions & Awards
•Chambers USA: Massachusetts - Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions (2014-2015)
•Recommended by The Legal 500 United States for Healthcare: Life Sciences (2013)
•Best Lawyers in America: Biotechnology Law (2013 - 2016)
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent