Practice/Industry Group Overview
Commercial and financial services disputes and investigations are often complex and require coordination between different jurisdictions, laws and regulatory regimes. Every case is different and each client's situation unique. Some require immediate action in the form of pre-emptive solutions, while others involve complex strategic planning.
With over 70 litigation and regulatory lawyers based in Europe and the US and a network of professional contacts worldwide, we can deploy the right team to meet the needs of your case efficiently and quickly.
We represent a wide variety of businesses, financial institutions and government agencies. As well as acting in contractual disputes, we are known for working in: financial services, art and cultural property, equity and fraud, reputation management, insolvency and international trusts. We have a particular knowledge and understanding of European litigation procedures, and for example are able to use our experience to ‘translate' between Italian law and common law jurisdictions such as the UK.
Aware that litigation and investigations can be highly disruptive to an organisation, we work with our clients to minimize their internal impact. In many cases we help find solutions through mediation and arbitration.
But where court is the best option, our track record shows we deploy the full range of litigation remedies, often making new law and obtaining pre-emptive injunctions.
- Represented Renault F1 in the FIA hearing arising out of the widely reported 'spygate' scandals that afflicted Formula 1 at the end of last season. Following on from their receiving a record fine (US$100m), McLaren made a complaint the FIA against Renault F1. The World Motor Sport Council issued no sanction following the resulting hearing in Monaco.
- Represented the active Defendants in the litigation arising out of the high profile collapse of AIM listed Langbar International (formerly Crown Corporation). The Defence rejects the assertion that the former CEO is guilty of fraud and responsible for the huge losses suffered by innocent shareholders.
- Obtained an English worldwide freezing order against a foreign defendant in aid of Italian criminal proceedings on behalf of civil parties.
- Advised HM Coroner for Inner West London in a high-profile case concerning the shooting of a beautician at Harvey Nichols by a former boyfriend and fellow employee.
- Acted for two well-known individuals in negotiating the content of an article due to appear in a national newspaper about their relationship.
- Represented legal advisers (solicitors and barristers) whose advice on tax saving schemes is alleged to have been negligent.