Practice/Industry Group Overview
In an ever-shrinking global marketplace, ensuring the proper exploitation and protection of intellectual property (IP), whether it be patents, trade marks or designs, is a primary commercial objective. We provide practical and commercial legal advice at every stage in the life and development of an intellectual property right, from creation and exploitation to protection and enforcement.
We advise on keeping ideas and proprietary information confidential, on filing strategies where registration of rights is required and the proper management of rights. We work closely with the patent and trade mark attorney professionals throughout Europe, US, Asia and the Middle East to ensure that the technical advice that our clients receive is of the highest quality.
We organize the licensing and exploitation of intellectual property rights as a standalone initiative or as part of larger transactions.
We work closely with other parts of the firm to provide expert advice on:
- corporate due diligence
- management of intellectual property rights
- data protection
- freedom of information
- confidentiality in employment contracts
- domain names
- reputation management.
We also provide advice on matters of competition and antitrust law where intellectual property is involved.
When it comes to the protection and enforcement of your intellectual property rights, our team has considerable experience devising and managing anti-counterfeiting strategies, and in the conduct and management of both multi-party and multi-jurisdiction intellectual property disputes. We have acted on leading intellectual property cases in the UK courts and elsewhere, including the Court of First Instance and European Court of Justice.
Members of the team are fluent and work in Italian and French as well as English.
- Acting for Società Esplosivi Industriali SpA in a long-running design right case involving multiple warhead systems. The case was notable as the Court, for the first time, had to assess the impact of the alleged infringers' mental capacity in deciding whether the alleged acts amounted to infringements under the wording of the relevant legislation.
- Managing the trade mark portfolio of a leading Italian wine manufacturer.
- Advising Handi-Craft Company and New Vent Designs Inc, the manufacturers of Dr Brown's anti-colic baby feeding bottle, on the patent, trade mark, design right and copyright aspects of an infringement action. Passing off was also involved and a novel form of interim injunction obtained.
- Acting for a leading Japanese manufacturer in a dispute over alleged infringement of patent relating to the computer control systems of food packaging machinery.
- Acting in two recent leading trade mark cases, Laboratoire de la Mer Trade Mark, and MasterCigars Direct Ltd v Hunters & Frankau Ltd and Corporacion Habanos SA.
- Acting for a defense sector manufacturer in a claim of passing off with related cross-border proceedings.
- Advising on the IP aspects of the acquisition of a high profile London-based football club.
- Successful defense of a copyright infringement claim asserted against an internationally-recognized jazz musician, arising from his preparation of a musical score for the feature and silent film presentations focusing on the life of the father of jazz, Buddy Bolden.