Practice/Industry Group Overview
We advise both employers and employees on their employment related rights. Businesses benefit from this, as we provide practical insights, based on our experience, into the way in which an employee is likely to react to a particular situation or approach.
We provide US and UK advice for businesses and non-profit entities on contractual, statutory, tax and other employment matters. These include drafting and advising on employment-related documents, and advising on corporate governance, disputes, discrimination, whistleblowing and severance issues. We also work with clients on contractual and statutory matters such as bonuses, grievance and disciplinary procedures, staff exit strategies, post termination restrictions and golden handshakes.
We are also closely involved with the employment strategies, negotiation and practicalities of corporate overhauls. These include drafting employee benefit schemes, corporate restructuring, mergers and acquisitions, and (in the UK) situations involving the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) (TUPE) regulations. We also advise on partnership law.
Our client list includes companies and partnerships from a wide range of sectors including financial services, media, luxury and consumer goods, sport, recruitment and PR among others. We also work regularly with charities and other non-profit entities. Although we advise primarily on US and UK law, our firm's international perspective and global presence means we work with clients based across the globe. The team strives to obtain the best outcome for all our clients, whether through negotiation, mediation or litigation.
- Acted for a biotechnical company on the successful (and groundbreaking) enforcement of a 12 month worldwide non-compete covenant to protect sensitive high tech information.
- Acted for a large manufacturing company on the impact of the Transfer of Undertaking Regulations (TUPE) in the context of a joint venture.
- Advised a large television company on absenteeism problems.
- Advised a media company on the introduction of whistleblower and internet policies.
- Acted for a number of individuals exiting financial institutions and advised on their share scheme entitlements, including advising Royal Bank of Canada in relation to their role as trustee of various employee benefit trusts.
- Acted for Elco International PLC and AIM-listed Hightex Group PLC designing unapproved, international share option arrangements for senior management.
- Advising a financial services employer on a redundancy program.
- Drafting a consultancy agreement and profit-sharing program for a hotel.
- Acting for a charity in an Employment Tribunal case involving difficult questions of employment status.
- Representing an internationally recognized Italian-based, premiere tier women's apparel brand in all aspects of employment matters throughout the US, including the implementation of employee policies and risk management strategies.