Practice/Industry Group Overview
Our long history as a provider of legal services to landowners and entrepreneurs, coupled with our extensive experience in the commercial aspects of luxury brands, has made the luxury and boutique hotel and leisure sector a natural industry choice on which to concentrate our professional attention.
Our hotels practice guides clients on every aspect of what is now in many cases a highly international business. We are involved in the establishment of special purpose vehicles, negotiation of finance and equity investment, and advise on design contracts, construction documents and hotel management and marketing contracts. We provide clients with property advice on site acquisitions, refurbishment and extensions, as well as assistance on day-to-day operational issues such as employment and health and safety. We also offer integrated trust and tax planning advice to the ultimate owners.
With legal experience in so many different aspects of the hotel and leisure industry, we work with our clients to project manage deals from conception to closing and beyond.
Our client list comprises hotel owners and investors, hoteliers, developers and consultants, designers with business interests in the UK, US and Europe.
Key clients include:
- Rocco Forte Hotels
- Soho House Group
- Olga Polizzi's hotel group
- Levy Brothers hotel group
- Philip Treacy
- B&B Italia
- Represented Soho House in acquisition of historic Miami Beach hotel and adjacent condominium property for redevelopment into boutique hotel, restaurant, private club and spa, including shared ownership with existing lender, negotiation of long-term leases and reciprocal easement agreements, first and second mortgages with multiple lenders.
- Representing Poster Financial Group, Inc. in the acquisition of the Golden Nugget Casino in Las Vegas and the Golden Nugget Casino in Laughlin from MGM Mirage, effected through the issuance of US$155,000,000 of senior secured notes in a Rule 144A offering and the enter into a US$35,000,000 term loan and revolving credit facility with Lehman Brothers, Inc. as the syndication agent.
- Represented purchaser/borrower in $65 Million financing and acquisitions in Montana, New York and Massachusetts for international sport club.
- Acted for a new entity establishing a worldwide private members' club with up to 65 five-star properties worldwide, including Scotland, England, New Zealand, US and the Caribbean. Withers is also acting on its debt financing with a bulge bracket lender, and is negotiating management contracts to run the clubs.
- Acted for an Italian hotel-owning family on its expansion in the four-star European market.
- Advising on a $2 Billion property development including a five-star luxury hotel development in Kazakhstan.
- Advising a Bulgarian group on a hotel development on the Black Sea.
- Advised on the disposal of Bailbrook House, Bath to Hilwood resorts and hotels.