Practice/Industry Group Overview
Our clients include entrepreneurs, investors, developers, landowners, borrowers, banks, institutions and charities. We act for private investors, developers and entrepreneurs including names from The Sunday Times ‘Rich List' in the UK and family trusts.
We advise non-profit institutions including Great Ormond St Children's Charity and Yale University as well as high-profile brands such as fashion designers MaxMara and Moschino.
With the influx of international private wealth into the UK commercial property market in recent years, we have seen the private investor competing with the major institutional funds for investment opportunities. We cater for the particular needs of those private investors including tax efficient structuring and the level of private client services they demand.
We have a great deal of experience on the sale and purchase of investment properties and portfolios, development deals, financing and the global hotel/resort and retail sectors. Our particular strength is structuring cross-border property deals tax effectively.
As part of a global practice, we are adept at project managing cross-border transactions, so we are able to assist clients with domestic and international real estate interests. Our Real Estate litigation team also helps clients protect the value of their investments.
Our clients include entrepreneurs, investors, developers, landowners, borrowers, banks, institutions and charities. We act for private investors, developers and entrepreneurs including names from The Sunday Times ‘Rich List' in the UK and family trusts. We also advise non-profit institutions including Great Ormond St Children's Charity and Yale University as well as high-profile brands such as fashion designers MaxMara and Moschino.
- Acted for purchase of tenant's interest in 85 year ground lease of 200,000 square foot mixed use, retail, office and parking complex.
- Represented acquirer of 18 properties in a federal foreclosure action and related consensual agreements with defaulting borrower.
- Represented seller of fourth generation, family-owned pharmacy and durable medical equipment business to national chain retailer/operator, including restrictive covenants on strategic real estate in connection with non-competition agreements.
- Handled all legal work for portfolio of over 700 apartments and 65 retail spaces in scatter-site mixed use urban project, including zoning, property management, building code, permitting, lead paint, leasing, easements and other issues.
- Managed $300 Million annual construction program for major academic institution, all related construction, design, permitting, due diligence and environmental issues.
- Represented major donor for new public museum in New York State and joint venture financing and construction agreements with various public and private participants.
- Represented major university endowment in direct and indirect investment into real estate through fee purchases, REIT interests, limited partnership investments, including structuring of various funds of $100 Million or greater size with for and not-for-profit investors.
- Represented seller of beachfront residential parcel in the Hamptons, New York; one of the highest residential sale prices recorded to date; included creation of conservation easements and relocations of historic properties.
- Negotiated anchor tenant lease with gourmet grocer for REIT owner of new shopping center in Virginia.
- Represented a consulting firm, that advises on energy efficiency and environmentally-responsible design and construction, in negotiating leases for office space in New York City and Kansas City, MO.
- Acting for McCabe Builders (UK) Limited in relation to significant residential developments in north London and on Clapham Common.
- Acting for Soho House in the structuring of its first US expansion, in Manhattan, including construction and financing.
- Acting for private bank C Hoare & Co in relation to its own development proposals.
- Acquiring a mixed portfolio of office, industrial and warehouse units worth over £20m ($40m) for The Paul Hamlyn Foundation, and a mixed commercial portfolio of a similar size for an anonymous Rich List investor.
- Acting for The Grocers Company, a UK non-profit institution, in the purchase of a central London property to add to its investment portfolio.
- The formation of a master LLC (limited liability company) vehicle to buy, build, own and occupy a state-of-the-art medical office building in the US and the negotiation of construction and permanent financing, and all the leases.